Sign in with
Your question

Need help, PC not booting anymore?

Last response: in Systems
March 12, 2012 2:58:24 PM

I have an Antec P180 with true 480W PSU. I recently replaced the MOBO, CPU, and RAM.
I thought I'd connected everything up but I must have missed something. :( 
When I hit power, all the fans begin to spin but that's it. The hard drives don't spin, and nothing appears on the screen.
Is there a checklist I can follow to make sure everything is hooked up correctly?

More about : booting anymore

March 12, 2012 3:39:11 PM

hmm... just the basics...

Motherboard, CPU, Graphix card, Hard Drive(s), Anything else in your system.

Look at the conncetors on your PSU, is anything not plugged in - aside from the "extra" hard drive connectors?
March 12, 2012 4:31:27 PM

frombehind said:
hmm... just the basics...

Motherboard, CPU, Graphix card, Hard Drive(s), Anything else in your system.

Look at the conncetors on your PSU, is anything not plugged in - aside from the "extra" hard drive connectors?

Everything is plugged in. Recent development, I removed the Nvidia card and plugged directly into the motherboard to see if using the i7 graphics worked and it did, kinda.
Now I get the BIOS screen, then Windows screen briefly before it goes to 'windows failed to load properly'
I tried safe mode. It's XP Pro 64bit and 16GB 1600mhz RAM. Could that be the issue?
Related resources
March 12, 2012 5:11:54 PM

Can you post your PC specs?

Also, try upgrading the BIOS.
March 12, 2012 7:25:00 PM

quicksand10 said:
Can you post your PC specs?

Also, try upgrading the BIOS.

Asus P8Z68-vl-x
i7 2700k
16GB 1600mhz vengeance
(goes downhill from there)
Geforce 7950GX-2
Seagate HD501LJ
Seagate HD400LJ
Windows XP 64bit Pro

Should still boot tho right?
March 13, 2012 5:32:36 AM

You need at least BIOS version 602 to run the 2700K on the P8Z68-V LX motherboard. However, you should at least be able to boot successfully (stability is another issue). The latest BIOS is 703.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z6...

Flash the BIOS using the ASUS utility under tools in the BIOS, then try again. (while removing the GPU, that seems to have done the trick for now... use the IGP until you have a working windows installation, then try your GPU again.)

If that still doesn't work, try installing your favorite flavor of Linux (or Ubuntu 64-bit) and see if that's working.

Post back here!
March 13, 2012 6:58:17 AM

quicksand10 said:
You need at least BIOS version 602 to run the 2700K on the P8Z68-V LX motherboard. However, you should at least be able to boot successfully (stability is another issue). The latest BIOS is 703.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z6...

Flash the BIOS using the ASUS utility under tools in the BIOS, then try again. (while removing the GPU, that seems to have done the trick for now... use the IGP until you have a working windows installation, then try your GPU again.)

If that still doesn't work, try installing your favorite flavor of Linux (or Ubuntu 64-bit) and see if that's working.

Post back here!

Development, I didn't realise you needed a fresh installation of windows after upgrading to configure to new hardware.
I'm still using the windows installation on my drive which is configured to my old AMD chip. Could this be the issue?
March 13, 2012 11:26:00 AM

Yeah, that's most probably the issue... :) 

Download Ubuntu's Live CD and boot from it into an ubuntu session, you'll be able to backup your files, then format and install windows.

Good luck :) 
!