Are you sure you want to quit?

one of the most useless, dumb sequences in video gaming.

i don't know about anyone else, but i can't think of a time when i've
accidentally pressed START, scrolled through the menu options,
highlighted QUIT, pressed QUIT, and then realized my mistake in a
heated panic.

perhaps i should be grateful that all these developers are taking an
interest in making sure gamers don't make this drastic mistake. i mean,
maybe in the event that somehow a user forgot to save, this could be
useful... but it seems that if you make it to this prompt, then you're
likely ready to go to bed.

i just wonder how many people actually sit with this question posed
onscreen with the clock ticking away wondering, with a glazed
expression... "am i sure? am i really, really sure?"

* note to developers: you can skip this sequence in the exit routine...
the marketing "stickiness" ain't working. ;o)
5 answers Last reply
More about quit

    Fizzlestix wrote:
    > i just wonder how many people actually sit with this question posed
    > onscreen with the clock ticking away wondering, with a glazed
    > expression... "am i sure? am i really, really sure?"

    Late nights with Alpha Centauri.

    "Please don't go. The drones need you, they look up to you."

    Alright well maybe just one more turn...

    "Fizzlestix" <fizzlestix@metallica.com> wrote in message
    > one of the most useless, dumb sequences in video gaming.
    >
    > i don't know about anyone else, but i can't think of a time when i've
    > accidentally pressed START, scrolled through the menu options,
    > highlighted QUIT, pressed QUIT, and then realized my mistake in a
    > heated panic.
    >
    > perhaps i should be grateful that all these developers are taking an
    > interest in making sure gamers don't make this drastic mistake. i mean,
    > maybe in the event that somehow a user forgot to save, this could be
    > useful... but it seems that if you make it to this prompt, then you're
    > likely ready to go to bed.
    >
    > i just wonder how many people actually sit with this question posed
    > onscreen with the clock ticking away wondering, with a glazed
    > expression... "am i sure? am i really, really sure?"
    >
    > * note to developers: you can skip this sequence in the exit routine...
    > the marketing "stickiness" ain't working. ;o)

    I used to think the same thing, but now I am quite grateful for it.

    Here's an example--I'm playing a game to write a strategy guide. I pause
    the game and set down the controller so that I can turn to the computer and
    type in some information. Unbeknownst to me, as I set down the controller I
    accidentally moved the analog stick while the game is on the pause menu. It
    now highlights "Quit" instead of "Resume." After finishing typing, I grab
    the controller and quickly press the button to return to the game, not
    paying attention. If there were no "Are you sure?" prompt, I would have
    just lost all of my progress.

    Fizzlestix <fizzlestix@metallica.com> wrote:
    > one of the most useless, dumb sequences in video gaming.

    > i don't know about anyone else, but i can't think of a time when i've
    > accidentally pressed START, scrolled through the menu options,
    > highlighted QUIT, pressed QUIT, and then realized my mistake in a
    > heated panic.

    Consider it a holdover from application programming. You're always
    supposed to ask for confirmation before doing something irreversible and
    dastic.

    I agree that it's highly annoying but the ONE time that it saves you, you're
    grateful for it.
    I know the confirmations have saved my butt, but in gaming and applications
    on the PC.

    "Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message

    > "Fizzlestix" <fizzlestix@metallica.com> wrote in message
    >> one of the most useless, dumb sequences in video gaming.
    >>
    >> i don't know about anyone else, but i can't think of a time when i've
    >> accidentally pressed START, scrolled through the menu options,
    >> highlighted QUIT, pressed QUIT, and then realized my mistake in a
    >> heated panic.
    >>
    >> perhaps i should be grateful that all these developers are taking an
    >> interest in making sure gamers don't make this drastic mistake. i mean,
    >> maybe in the event that somehow a user forgot to save, this could be
    >> useful... but it seems that if you make it to this prompt, then you're
    >> likely ready to go to bed.
    >>
    >> i just wonder how many people actually sit with this question posed
    >> onscreen with the clock ticking away wondering, with a glazed
    >> expression... "am i sure? am i really, really sure?"
    >>
    >> * note to developers: you can skip this sequence in the exit routine...
    >> the marketing "stickiness" ain't working. ;o)
    >
    > I used to think the same thing, but now I am quite grateful for it.
    >
    > Here's an example--I'm playing a game to write a strategy guide. I pause
    > the game and set down the controller so that I can turn to the computer
    > and
    > type in some information. Unbeknownst to me, as I set down the controller
    > accidentally moved the analog stick while the game is on the pause menu.
    > It
    > now highlights "Quit" instead of "Resume." After finishing typing, I grab
    > the controller and quickly press the button to return to the game, not
    > paying attention. If there were no "Are you sure?" prompt, I would have
    > just lost all of my progress.

    On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:13:29 -0800, "Android"
    <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote:
    >If there were no "Are you sure?" prompt, I would have
    >just lost all of my progress.

    This didn't help me the other night while playing Halo 2... I forgot
    that it didn't automatically save the last checkpoint to disk until
    you select "Save & Quit." I just turned off the Xbox after a couple
    hours of single player - probably a habit after playing nothing but
    multiplayer. I didn't find out til the next night--I was pissed (at
    myself for being so stupid).

    Prompts can go too far... I think it was NFL 2K5 that drove me nutty
    with all the "Are you sure?" prompts and menu hopping. After a while
    it becomes automatic to answer them, so they don't do any good anyway.

Console Gaming Video Video Games