Are you sure you want to quit?

one of the most useless, dumb sequences in video gaming.

i don't know about anyone else, but i can't think of a time when i've
accidentally pressed START, scrolled through the menu options,
highlighted QUIT, pressed QUIT, and then realized my mistake in a
heated panic.

perhaps i should be grateful that all these developers are taking an
interest in making sure gamers don't make this drastic mistake. i mean,
maybe in the event that somehow a user forgot to save, this could be
useful... but it seems that if you make it to this prompt, then you're
likely ready to go to bed.

i just wonder how many people actually sit with this question posed
onscreen with the clock ticking away wondering, with a glazed
expression... "am i sure? am i really, really sure?"

* note to developers: you can skip this sequence in the exit routine...
the marketing "stickiness" ain't working. ;o)

debaser

Fizzlestix wrote:
> i just wonder how many people actually sit with this question posed
> onscreen with the clock ticking away wondering, with a glazed
> expression... "am i sure? am i really, really sure?"

Late nights with Alpha Centauri.

"Please don't go. The drones need you, they look up to you."

Alright well maybe just one more turn...

"Fizzlestix" <fizzlestix@metallica.com> wrote in message
> one of the most useless, dumb sequences in video gaming.
>
> i don't know about anyone else, but i can't think of a time when i've
> accidentally pressed START, scrolled through the menu options,
> highlighted QUIT, pressed QUIT, and then realized my mistake in a
> heated panic.
>
> perhaps i should be grateful that all these developers are taking an
> interest in making sure gamers don't make this drastic mistake. i mean,
> maybe in the event that somehow a user forgot to save, this could be
> useful... but it seems that if you make it to this prompt, then you're
> likely ready to go to bed.
>
> i just wonder how many people actually sit with this question posed
> onscreen with the clock ticking away wondering, with a glazed
> expression... "am i sure? am i really, really sure?"
>
> * note to developers: you can skip this sequence in the exit routine...
> the marketing "stickiness" ain't working. ;o)

I used to think the same thing, but now I am quite grateful for it.

Here's an example--I'm playing a game to write a strategy guide. I pause
the game and set down the controller so that I can turn to the computer and
type in some information. Unbeknownst to me, as I set down the controller I
accidentally moved the analog stick while the game is on the pause menu. It
now highlights "Quit" instead of "Resume." After finishing typing, I grab
the controller and quickly press the button to return to the game, not
paying attention. If there were no "Are you sure?" prompt, I would have
just lost all of my progress.

Fizzlestix <fizzlestix@metallica.com> wrote:
> one of the most useless, dumb sequences in video gaming.

> i don't know about anyone else, but i can't think of a time when i've
> accidentally pressed START, scrolled through the menu options,
> highlighted QUIT, pressed QUIT, and then realized my mistake in a
> heated panic.

Consider it a holdover from application programming. You're always
supposed to ask for confirmation before doing something irreversible and
dastic.

I agree that it's highly annoying but the ONE time that it saves you, you're
grateful for it.
I know the confirmations have saved my butt, but in gaming and applications
on the PC.

"Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message

> "Fizzlestix" <fizzlestix@metallica.com> wrote in message
>> one of the most useless, dumb sequences in video gaming.
>>
>> i don't know about anyone else, but i can't think of a time when i've
>> accidentally pressed START, scrolled through the menu options,
>> highlighted QUIT, pressed QUIT, and then realized my mistake in a
>> heated panic.
>>
>> perhaps i should be grateful that all these developers are taking an
>> interest in making sure gamers don't make this drastic mistake. i mean,
>> maybe in the event that somehow a user forgot to save, this could be
>> useful... but it seems that if you make it to this prompt, then you're
>> likely ready to go to bed.
>>
>> i just wonder how many people actually sit with this question posed
>> onscreen with the clock ticking away wondering, with a glazed
>> expression... "am i sure? am i really, really sure?"
>>
>> * note to developers: you can skip this sequence in the exit routine...
>> the marketing "stickiness" ain't working. ;o)
>
> I used to think the same thing, but now I am quite grateful for it.
>
> Here's an example--I'm playing a game to write a strategy guide. I pause
> the game and set down the controller so that I can turn to the computer
> and
> type in some information. Unbeknownst to me, as I set down the controller
> accidentally moved the analog stick while the game is on the pause menu.
> It
> now highlights "Quit" instead of "Resume." After finishing typing, I grab
> the controller and quickly press the button to return to the game, not
> paying attention. If there were no "Are you sure?" prompt, I would have
> just lost all of my progress.

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:13:29 -0800, "Android"
<androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote:
>If there were no "Are you sure?" prompt, I would have
>just lost all of my progress.

This didn't help me the other night while playing Halo 2... I forgot
that it didn't automatically save the last checkpoint to disk until
you select "Save & Quit." I just turned off the Xbox after a couple
hours of single player - probably a habit after playing nothing but
multiplayer. I didn't find out til the next night--I was pissed (at
myself for being so stupid).

Prompts can go too far... I think it was NFL 2K5 that drove me nutty
with all the "Are you sure?" prompts and menu hopping. After a while
it becomes automatic to answer them, so they don't do any good anyway.