Best graphics card for a 300w Power Supply?

loedge

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
I have a Gateway desktop / Intel® Core™ i3 3.3GHz Processor / 6GB Memory and i wanted to upgrade from the intel integrated graphics that it came with, however it only has a 300w power supply. I really don't need to play on the highest setting, i just don't want the games i play to lag (FPS). Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Im running 7 Home Premium 64 bit
also i looked and it has one available pci slot

If you were to upgrade the power supply then that would open up the options of avalable video cards , it would not be to play at the highest settings , it would be so that you can get a better video card to have a nice smoothe gameplay in whatever game you decide to play. You don't want to be stuck with too low of a budget video card and not be able to play a game at all because your card is below the minimum requirements.
What is the model nimber of the computer or if you can look at the power supply and give the model off of that so I can see what is available for an upgrade.

loedge

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Gateway+-+Desktop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i3+Processor+/+6GB+Memory+/+1TB+Hard+Drive/3152445.p?id=1218380507379&skuId=3152445

DX4860-UB32P

I really dont want to replace the power sup.

Ok.

loedge

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012

Is there any other options for a card with that power sup.? Again im not looking to play on ultra high setting, i just dont want it to lag. thank you

I think that you will need to post the games that you play and the games that you would like to play and what type of games , First Person Shooter , role playing , stradigy. The reason being is that there are some games that have a high minimum requirement for a graphics card and some even have two requirements , one for recomended and one that will just play the game. Like you said you don't want to have lag so you want to have a little above the minimum requirement.

loedge

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012

star wars the old republic.....haha

That card requires a 300w power supply to be in the computer and don't forget when they say minimum requirement on the power supply it means it will work with a 300w but that is the lowest that you can have so you'll be on the very edge of the requirement with no extra room.
So that will be up to you whether or not to go with it , but according to the cards spec's it should work.

The computer that you have is ok for playing games except for the HD2000 intergrated graphics chip which is just not able to play any games. By adding a seperate graphics card that will greatly increase the perfomance of the computer for gaming. The next step will be to play the games on a med to med-high settings so that you have good smooth gameplay with no lag. The challange comes with the arious games that are out there and some games require a really good video card and an average cpu and others require a really good cpu and an average video card and still others want good cpu and gpu. So choosing the right video card is a challanging task , because you want a good card or at least the best you can afford.

loedge

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012

Do you recommend that card for my power sup.?

and if not what do you recommend?

and again thanks for all the help

loedge

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012

yeah but that doesnt mention anything about power req.

loedge

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012

ok thank you

Right because for the power requirements you have to look at each individual card and see what the power requirements are. The chart just lists the cards in orderof high to low.