Should I disable 1 core and up the frequency ?

While I'm playing Bf3 my Phenom 980 x4 @4.2 Ghz seems to bottleneck my Gtx 670 in large and open maps, and or when there are a lot of players (32-64)

My cpu usage is usually at 70-80 %, I figured if I disabled 1 core i can boost the frequency higher.

I heard that Bf3 likes quad cores tho, what should I do?

I wanna buy the i5 3570k, but as of now I don't have the cash for it yet, so until then I want to take all the performance my cpu can currently give!!
3 answers Last reply
More about should disable core frequency
  1. Trying it out of curiosity does not cost you anything, you might as well try and see what it does for yourself..

~75% average usage on four cores is about the same as ~100% usage on three cores so I would not be expecting that much change. Running three cores might be slightly better or slightly worse depending on whether or not gaining 100-200MHz on three cores will reduce individual threads' latency enough to make up for the loss of a 4.2GHz core.
  2. InvalidError said:
    Trying it out of curiosity does not cost you anything, you might as well try and see what it does for yourself..

~75% average usage on four cores is about the same as ~100% usage on three cores so I would not be expecting that much change. Running three cores might be slightly better or slightly worse depending on whether or not gaining 100-200MHz on three cores will reduce individual threads' latency enough to make up for the loss of a 4.2GHz core.

I know that when I ran at 4.4Ghz the fps were more consistent, although that was with 4 cores @ 4.4ghz.

Hmmmm.... I'm going to try it out and see if it's any better or worse!
  3. The performance got like 12% worse with 3 cores at 4.4Ghz. I will just stay with quad core at 4.2 Ghz..
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Battlefield Core