Sign in with
Your question

Should I disable 1 core and up the frequency ?

Last response: in CPUs
June 26, 2012 4:14:12 PM

While I'm playing Bf3 my Phenom 980 x4 @4.2 Ghz seems to bottleneck my Gtx 670 in large and open maps, and or when there are a lot of players (32-64)

My cpu usage is usually at 70-80 %, I figured if I disabled 1 core i can boost the frequency higher.

I heard that Bf3 likes quad cores tho, what should I do?

I wanna buy the i5 3570k, but as of now I don't have the cash for it yet, so until then I want to take all the performance my cpu can currently give!!

More about : disable core frequency

a c 133 à CPUs
June 26, 2012 4:26:23 PM

Trying it out of curiosity does not cost you anything, you might as well try and see what it does for yourself..

~75% average usage on four cores is about the same as ~100% usage on three cores so I would not be expecting that much change. Running three cores might be slightly better or slightly worse depending on whether or not gaining 100-200MHz on three cores will reduce individual threads' latency enough to make up for the loss of a 4.2GHz core.
June 26, 2012 4:29:31 PM

InvalidError said:
Trying it out of curiosity does not cost you anything, you might as well try and see what it does for yourself..

~75% average usage on four cores is about the same as ~100% usage on three cores so I would not be expecting that much change. Running three cores might be slightly better or slightly worse depending on whether or not gaining 100-200MHz on three cores will reduce individual threads' latency enough to make up for the loss of a 4.2GHz core.

I know that when I ran at 4.4Ghz the fps were more consistent, although that was with 4 cores @ 4.4ghz.

Hmmmm.... I'm going to try it out and see if it's any better or worse!
June 26, 2012 4:53:14 PM

The performance got like 12% worse with 3 cores at 4.4Ghz. I will just stay with quad core at 4.2 Ghz..
Related resources
!