Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What you think of this build Guys?

Last response: in Systems
March 12, 2012 4:40:10 PM

Titanic (cause it will sink your battleship) -[Rethinking that name, just now came up with that. Might not even name it]

Let me know what you would replace or do differently. I don't want to spend 2k on this though. Came up around $1700 But I think that was with monitors as well; that would also help me out a lot guy is if you found 2 monitors for me that were under $200 with hdmi and 20" > . For this build I am also considering very much the asthetics. Adding Green uv lighting and rebraiding the cables uv green and black
  1. Tower: NZXT Switch 810 (black)
  2. Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155
  3. CPU: Intel i7 2700k *(Already have h100 so that will be cooling what ever cpu I use)
  4. *(Already have) Ram: G.Skill Sniper 16gb DDR3
  5. SSD: OCZ Vertex 2 120gb
  6. HDD: WD Black 1tb 7200rpm or Green 1tb 7200 (I game a lot and the green does pretty damn good for being economical)
  7. Video Card: x2 Radeon hd 7770 DD Black (deciding if I should go with a 6000 series, like a 6850/70).
  8. Power Supply: Corsair Pro AX850 Modular psu.

configure it to how you would have it or if you think its perfect just thumbs me up.

Thanks Look forward to hearing.

More about : build guys

March 12, 2012 4:48:11 PM

if your just going to be using the build for gaming a 2700k might be unneeded a 2500k will be enough
m
l
March 12, 2012 4:51:45 PM

i dont know what your using this for but the 2700k is useless, just get the 2600k and overclock it 100MHZ and WALA a $60 savings. now the 2700k "might" overclock higher than a 2600k but you will never feel the difference when using the computer but you will feel $60 out of your wallet.
you know what just wait for ivy bridge its just a month away and the 3550k(2500k replacement) out performs the 2700k, while using less power.

they arent available here in the US yet but the 7800 series seems very well priced for the performance. and will be out very soon like with in a week.

for monitors if i wanted to go with 2 instead of the much better idea of 3 or 1 id get two of these. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

March 12, 2012 4:56:07 PM

Right now there are very few games that can use more than 4 threads. For this reason on a gaming system there is very little reason to go with anything over a quad core processor. This is why most poeple have the Intel® Core™ i5-2500K down as the king of value and performance on our processors right now.

Now if you are looking for this system to be something other than a gaming system maybe video editing you are in good shape.

Overall everything else looks good and you should have a solid system.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
March 12, 2012 4:56:37 PM

I agree with @austinwillie_95.
You spent a lot of money for some parts what you will never use at their full capacity.( 16GB RAM , H100 ). H 80 is more than enough and it have good cooling performance. In your place an air cooling solution is cheaper and sometimes better than liquid cooling.
Buy one video card for the beggining 7950 and add another one in the future.
Monitor :
Asus VE228H 21.5" Full HD HDMI LED BackLight http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
ASUS VS Series VS238H-P Black 23" 2ms HDMI LED Backlight http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
March 12, 2012 8:38:58 PM

farrengottu said:
i dont know what your using this for but the 2700k is useless, just get the 2600k and overclock it 100MHZ and WALA a $60 savings. now the 2700k "might" overclock higher than a 2600k but you will never feel the difference when using the computer but you will feel $60 out of your wallet.
you know what just wait for ivy bridge its just a month away and the 3550k(2500k replacement) out performs the 2700k, while using less power.

they arent available here in the US yet but the 7800 series seems very well priced for the performance. and will be out very soon like with in a week.

for monitors if i wanted to go with 2 instead of the much better idea of 3 or 1 id get two of these. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2700k is only like $30 more than the 2600k. I guess you guys are right about me probably not using the full performance, but I do, do some video editing and would like to get more into it and 3d graphic design, that is why i also have 16gb of ram. Also this is something I would keep for a very long time and would need to last me, regardless of what's coming out I plan on having this for very very very with only maybe getting a new graphics card every once in a while.

Ill wait till ivy bridge comes out to see more options/ If the 3550k is affordable for me i'll get it.

Glad I spoke about this to cause I wasnt sure what amd was doing, hopefully the 7800 is affordable enough for me to and that'll be something I get one then another.

Monitors::: anyone using a hdmi monitor or tv with games? Do you notice a difference that it's worth getting a hdmi monitor?
m
l
March 12, 2012 9:12:36 PM

2500k;

your Z68 mobo or some Asus;

Radeon 7850 or 7950, or better wait out to see NVidia Kepler, avoid SLI/CrossFire if you can;

Crucial/Samsung/Intel 120 GB SSD for OS, no SandForce , SandForce uses compression = no good for data reliability

1 or 2 TB 7200 rpm HDD of your taste

Seasonic 750W PSU - you don't need that much but who knows, it may come handy one day;

2*4GB RAM brand name lifitime warranty is what you need

easy to work Case - I personally will never buy that NEXT, but that is your choice

you can run on stock cooler, or just get CoolerMaster 212 or something similar

In case you don't like the fans, buy some low noise nice fans later. You don't need anything better than 2500k - even in video encoding or design applications more than that really makes no or small difference. No difference in gaming - just save your money for good GPU. In transcoding the GPU is around 10 times faster than the CPU, intel's quicksynch is 2-3 times faster. 2600k or better makes sense in application servers :) ...my experience with 3 servers and a dozen PCs build by myself at home...hence I know what I am talking. Water cooling - I got Kuhler 620 and I am happy because it is noiseless. Temperature wise - no significant difference.i would suggest focus on building low noise system.

If you have money , HDD raid setup on fast controller is the way - still better than SSD, but much more expensive. You will be OK with single 120GB SSD - get NON SandForce device.

8GB is plenty for video and pro design applications. 16GB you may only need if running several virtual machines at once, which you will not, probably.

I like Seasonic, read reviews first, but theirs are usually the best. Corsair is just placing their brand on Seasonics or some other first tier OEMs, but I think they cut corners recently to make higher margins...

Wait for NVidia Kepler, unless you are in a hurry. If you buy GPU - get the best single one that you can afford. I like the Radeons that are **50, because they are not hot cards, like 7850 or 7950. They are non-sense expensive right now.

Get yourself 1920*1200 IPS monitor. The cheap mass market 1080p is not great for staring at it for years...

If you have MicroCenter, buy CPU+mobo combo there.
m
l
March 13, 2012 10:36:58 PM

Ananke there are a million ways to say your wrong but im gonna call you stupid. Dude I really like Radeon cause of what is offered and that'll last me a long time. I can probably agree that I don't need such a high end cpu but I do need that much ram for graphic design

1. Crossfire is very useful
2. Intel fixed the sandforce controller
3. I need atleast 800w to run multiple cards
4. Watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tTwXq0MaNY then tell me that you wouldnt buy it for such a great deal. Is a quiet case and very easy to work with.
5. Running on intel stock cooler...who the hell has ever done that.
m
l
March 15, 2012 12:27:33 AM

Best answer selected by Suave145.
m
l
!