Ideas for a new build

soop

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Hellooo. I'm just trying to gather some ideas for a new PC build. Core i7's (old ones) are nearly at a price point I would deem acceptable, but before I go out and spend a bunch I thought I'd get some opinions.

I currently have a media center PC, which I use for browsing, music, recording and playing TV (3 tuners) and encoding recorded TV for mobile devices. TV recording is media center, Windows 7.

The CPU is an Athlon 64x2 at... around 2.4 ghz I think, the max the motherboard could handle. 2gb of RAM.

At the moment, I've tied the video encoding to one core, and everything else runs off the spare core, but sometimes it still chokes.

The ideal setup would be a small SSD boot drive, a second terrabyte drive (or better) so that the encoding can read from one disc and write to the other, quad core i7/i5, new motherboard, 4gb+ of RAM, and a silent/close to silent CPU fan (cos it's in my bedroom).
Also, I'm using the onboard video, but I don't know if it's possible to get graphics cards with MPEG hardware decoding, as this might help?

I probably can't afford to get everything at once, or maybe I could do it really cheap and nasty? But what would be the best value way of going about this?