G

Hi Guys,

So I have gone and bought an ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX, now starting to wish that I hadn't.

I am planning on using this with the FX-8150, but is this cpu really as bad as some reviews state out there?

Is the performance really that bad in everyday applications?

Has anyone out there had experience with this cpu and if so how much truth is there in these negative reviews.

As I am limited to which cpu will work with this MoBo, can you suggest any alternate cpu's.

Would be grateful for your advice.

Thanks.

It's a decent cpu for everyday apps. It get's obliterated by a Intel quad though in most of them, especially gaming. There are a few apps that can use 8 cores (very few) and it does well in those.

There are plenty of benchmarks on this site, as well as others, so not sure why your asking how much truth is in the reviews. All the reviews are truthful.

There really aren't any alternative cpu's other than the Phenom II X4.

What are you going to be doing with your computer? IMO right now the Bulldozer isn't worth it unless your doing something thats actually going to use 8 cores efficiently, the 8 core cpu idea is pretty useless for 90% of situations. I would rather have 4 brutally fast cores then 8 pissweak cores. The Bulldozers performance is pretty much equal to the Core 2 Duo. If you are gaming than here are some benchmarks.

OC_Skyrim.png

DiRT3.png

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/336369-28-modern-gaming-980be-1045t#t2566790[img]

[img]http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m529/malmental/Battlefield3.png

Averages.png

Francis_M

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
This fx8150 isn't a bad CPU at all, and don't think good or bad in comparison to intel. I have fx 8120, good stable temp, good performance, and I can do anything, games, media and all that. 1 factor here is that it is a 125W cpu, so you have to keep in mind while buying your psu, or if you want to over-clock it, then surely you will need a nice after market cooler.

I wouldn't buy fx 8150, rather I would suggest you 8120, save some money and you can add other things :)

Does it really matter, it's not like the 8150 is that much greater than the 8120. It's not going to magically be on top and beat out all Intel CPU's. Even if the 8150 was in the benchmarks it would still fall behind the I7, I5 and most older AMD Phenom II CPU's.

Hi :)

Well said...the 1100T is also not in those benchmarks even though its the most powerful AMD cpu....even though in several of those , it would be in the top 2....

All the best Brett :)

Umm....yeah 500mhz would make a big difference.

Not really. There are plenty of other benchmarks out there from legitimate websites and there was no major difference. You can try to split hairs but in the end the 8150 still lost out to Sandy Bridges, Ivy Bridges and older Phenom II CPU's.

You listed gaming benchmarks, no part of this thread is about gaming.

Look at the motherboard he's getting. The ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX is a gaming motherboard. I don't think he would be buying a 220 dollar gaming motherboard for Word, Excel Powerpoint and watching Youtube video's. Want to try again.