Sign in with
Your question

PC wont post/weird pcie problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 8, 2012 2:20:27 PM

Hello,
A couple of days my computer unexpectedly shut down. I thought I'll open it up and have a look.

The weird thing is the PC will not start if the PCIE cables from my power supply is connected to my graphics card. Without the cables it does, but the pc will not post, theres no display or any audible error codes.

I've tried bench testing it as well as clearing the cmos. Right now I'm completely clueless

System specs:

MSI 6870
Corsair 600w
Asus p8p67 le
a b U Graphics card
January 8, 2012 2:40:13 PM

Try a different PCIe slot, maybe. You do have another. It's x4, butr that would eliminate some parts as the issue.

What do mean when you say that the PC starts but does not POST? That's usually the definition of starting.
a c 291 U Graphics card
January 8, 2012 2:54:32 PM

What is your power supply?
Related resources
January 8, 2012 2:59:05 PM

Do you still have warranty? Maybe the card fryed.I hope not.
a c 125 U Graphics card
January 8, 2012 3:05:58 PM

You need to eliminate components in your PC as the cause of the issue by testing them in another PC, there's too many variables that could cause your PC not to post so its impossible to say what's at fault.
January 8, 2012 3:27:42 PM

kajabla said:
Try a different PCIe slot, maybe. You do have another. It's x4, butr that would eliminate some parts as the issue.

What do mean when you say that the PC starts but does not POST? That's usually the definition of starting.

I mean there's no display on my monitor, sorry I thought that's what "post" meant :/  I'll try using a different pcie slot
a c 125 U Graphics card
January 8, 2012 3:32:17 PM

POST = Power-On Self-Test :) 
a b U Graphics card
January 8, 2012 3:41:34 PM

The POST is the list of text that appears when you first start your PC. It's taken as the most basic function because it doesn't depend on your data drives or the operating system on them.

Do you have the display connected to the motherboard or to the graphics card?
January 8, 2012 3:48:35 PM

The monitors connected to the graphics card as my motherboard doesn't have on-board graphics.
a b U Graphics card
January 8, 2012 8:32:03 PM

Oh, right. I knew there was a reason I hadn't yet asked that. The different slot didn't work?
January 9, 2012 5:48:06 AM

Nope, i tried different slots as well as another wire, no results :( 
January 9, 2012 7:17:12 AM

I've tried using a different power supply from my other system and success! So now I believe the problem is either motherboard power supply.
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2012 9:09:14 PM

PSU.
January 9, 2012 11:06:35 PM

Thanks for your suggestions. It turns out its the motherboard as I tried using my power supply in a friends build and it worked fine. I've started the RMA process with Scan as I had about 12 months left on warranty.
!