Sign in with
Your question
Solved

600-1000 gaming build

Last response: in Systems
March 12, 2012 6:18:14 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: This week (i.e. the instant I commit to a build)

Budget Range: 600-1000, I'd like to be as low as possible unless the increase from 600-700 to 900-1000 is hugely massive performance wise for me.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming: SC2, and also RPGs and FPSs (think Diablo III, Bethesda RPGs, CoD, Quake etc)

Parts Not Required: Mouse, monitor.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com

Parts Preferences: I'd like to find a nice mechanical keyboard. Is there anything better/cheaper than the Razer BlackWidow? (Love my Razer DeathAdder mouse).

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1280x1024 (I'm using a 19" Insignia LED-LCD TV/Monitor. This is good for gaming, right?)

Additional Comments: Now, my current monitor has a low resolution so I feel like if I did a build based around an i5-2400 and a Radeon HD 6870, I'd be in pretty good shape to run most games at a really high resolution. One thing that I am considering is building a more basic rig around these two things (similar, I guess, to the 600 build-off challenge posted here) but to instead get a motherboard that will eventually let me do dual 6870's, which would mean that I'd be boss later if I got another 6870 and a better monitor but would let me have an awesome experience until that point, if it ever comes.

I'm also unsure as to whether 4gb of ram is sufficient, or if I need to go for the 8gb.

I'm really excited about building a computer and this site has been a massively awesome resource.

I'm upgrading from the current-gen MacBook Pro (the highest-end 15", which I've not been happy with - it was an awful decision given that I could literally have built an absolutely perfect high-end PC or gotten a really nice PC and a freakin' laptop for still less than the price that I paid) so I don't have massively high standards.

Note that the price of the OS will need to be factored in to my build.

Thanks so much.

More about : 600 1000 gaming build

Best solution

a c 246 4 Gaming
March 12, 2012 6:27:09 PM

Quote:
Additional Comments: Now, my current monitor has a low resolution so I feel like if I did a build based around an i5-2400 and a Radeon HD 6870, I'd be in pretty good shape to run most games at a really high resolution. One thing that I am considering is building a more basic rig around these two things (similar, I guess, to the 600 build-off challenge posted here) but to instead get a motherboard that will eventually let me do dual 6870's, which would mean that I'd be boss later if I got another 6870 and a better monitor but would let me have an awesome experience until that point, if it ever comes.

With the build I will suggest below you could get a really nice GPU like the 7870 (which has been matching and/or beating the GTX 580 in tests) then the dual 6850's pretty much becomes a moot point.

Quote:
I'm also unsure as to whether 4gb of ram is sufficient, or if I need to go for the 8gb.

RAM is so cheap you might as well get 8GB - 4GB will be cutting it close on a lot of games like BF3 and Skyrim.

Quote:
I'm upgrading from the current-gen MacBook Pro (the highest-end 15", which I've not been happy with - it was an awful decision given that I could literally have built an absolutely perfect high-end PC or gotten a really nice PC and a freakin' laptop for still less than the price that I paid) so I don't have massively high standards.

Yeah I've been incredibly anti-Apple as of late- with Macs you pay too much money for last year's hardware in a fancy package. PC manufacturers - especially laptops give you far more current hardware at like 1/2 the cost of what the equivalent Mac runs. I finally ditched my iPhone last Friday for a Samsung Galaxy S2 and it's been a great choice so far, I may never go back. :lol: 

Here you go:

Case: Corsair Carbide 400R - $99.99 ($10.00 MIR)
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 - $89.99 ($10.00 MIR)
Motherboard: Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 - $129.99
CPU: 3.30Ghz Intel Core i5-2500K - $229.99
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 1333Mhz 8GB (2 x 4GB) - $42.99
HD: 500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB - $84.99
Optical: Lite On Bulk DVD Burner - $17.99
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 - $320 (estimated)

Total: $1,015.93 - $20.00 MIR = $995.93
March 25, 2012 5:46:01 PM

Best answer selected by Mattacus.
!