SB Live D.E 5.1 VS Philips Acoustic Sound Edge

G

Good day. I'm going to fix up a system using AMD Duron 850 and probably with an Asus A7V socketA 133MHz. Now I'm still considering whether to buy SB Live D.E 5.1 or Philips ASE as I know both sound cards are equally good. Also, which sound card is more compatible with AMD systems?

For speakers, I intend to buy the Creative Cambridge FPS2000. Any comments?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions that you guys have out there. Cheers!

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
IMHO while both are good cards you will have considerably less problems installing the Philips card. Make sure no matter which you choose install it in the third pci slot.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

I have a philips acoustic edge, it's awesome! I'm using it in my kt7-raid system, and I have no compatability problems at all. I must advise you to stay away from creative. Their cards are picky about what system as well as what OS you use with them. I also notice a difference in the sound quality (AE has fuller high/mid range sound, unlike the "wimpier" output of SB live 5.1). The AE works in intel/amd systems running win9x/ME,NT4,and 2k--basically whatever you put it in. As far as the speakers go, I do not like cambridge sound. They sound bad in the mid/high-sound range. I'm using a set of klipsch promedia 4.2 ($320 from klipsch.com, hurry!) and a set of boston BA635's as my center/sub (for full 5.1 support). Any forum will tell you that then klipsch promedias are quite possibly the best computer speakers out there, even for being analog. I love my sound system, and I let my entire dorm know it. :)

<font color=red>=P