Sign in with
Your question

Laptop Performance?

Last response: in CPUs
June 26, 2012 9:31:28 PM

:hello:  So I'm getting a different laptop for school. I'm going to use it a lot for school, but I do play some occasional games. Here are the specs.

AMD Quad Core A6-3400M 1.4GHz
AMD Radeon HD 6520G Integrated
6 GB RAM
500GB Hard Drive
The link: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/acer-acer-aspire-15...

So I want to know, is this computer good for everyday use, such as surfing the web, typing, research and such? And also, I play games such as TF2, CS:S, GTA IV, The Sims 3, and games like that. Would it have good performance with those games. I prefer performance over graphics. Thanks in advance. ;) 

More about : laptop performance

a b à CPUs
June 26, 2012 10:04:53 PM

no i totally regret buying a acer laptop. they have very poor cooling solutions and it often heats my laptop to around 84c in core temps

reliable cheap brands are HP and ASUS.

the laptop you picked doesnt have much work performance but has pretty decent graphics

this has very good working performance but not the best graphics. it will be enough to get you through GTA 4 and counter strike

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/hewlett-packard-hp-...

its on sale at the same price as your laptop. the sale ends on the 28th
m
l
a c 150 à CPUs
a b D Laptop
June 26, 2012 10:08:44 PM

I would think 1.4ghz is too slow to do any real gaming like you intend.
Check your local staples or other stores for the equivalent of this $399 laptop, a much better laptop, on sale at my local Staples store stateside (or maybe you know someone on this side of the border <wink>) :
http://www.staples.com/HP-g6-2123-us-156-Notebook/produ...
m
l
Related resources
a c 97 à CPUs
a b D Laptop
June 27, 2012 3:42:05 AM

I own a similarly speced laptop with the A6 3400m APU. The 1.4 GHz clockspeed is with all cores turned on and running under load. For less threaded workloads, it cranks up 1 core to 2.3GHz I think, and 2 cores to 2.2GHz. You can always try setting affinities, or disabling a couple of your cores if you need a little more kick in less threaded applications.

It's everyday performance is okay, though be sure to choose high performance power options if you want to game on it. It is capable of light gaming. You won't get high settings on this, but it will handle TF2, The Sims 3 and CS:S okay. I haven't tried GTA IV on mine, but I doubt it will perform well. GTA IV is a really bad port that needs some beefy hardware to run decently, something you won't find in a budget laptop.
m
l
June 27, 2012 10:45:41 AM

TheBigTroll said:
no i totally regret buying a acer laptop. they have very poor cooling solutions and it often heats my laptop to around 84c in core temps

reliable cheap brands are HP and ASUS.

the laptop you picked doesnt have much work performance but has pretty decent graphics

this has very good working performance but not the best graphics. it will be enough to get you through GTA 4 and counter strike

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/hewlett-packard-hp-...

its on sale at the same price as your laptop. the sale ends on the 28th

Seems like a good laptop. Is the Intel HD 3000 good? I like playing a lot of games so the Video Card is always one of my biggest concerns.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2012 1:17:09 PM

at this price point, getting a APU will have much better graphical performance. the hd3000 is just good enough so that you can play WoW at low settings

but then the APU sucks at everything else other than games so you would have to decided between the 2.

you wil have to spend a little more for a laptop to have a dedicated GPU like a gt540m
m
l
June 27, 2012 4:57:39 PM

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback. But is the AMD Laptop decent? I don't want amazing amazing graphical gameplay, just decent enough to play.
m
l
a c 97 à CPUs
a b D Laptop
June 27, 2012 5:06:13 PM

The AMD laptop will handle the games you listed fine, aside from Grand Theft Auto IV. An equally priced Intel laptop will have a better CPU, but weaker graphics, so game performance will generally be poorer on the Intel laptop. Since you aren't really intending to do anything particularly intensive with the laptop outside of gaming, you probably should go with the AMD laptop if you can't spring more cash to get an Intel laptop with dedicated graphics from AMD or nvidia. The AMD CPU can handle web browsing and office tasks well enough, and the aside from GTA IV, the better integrated graphics will yield better game performance than any laptop equipped with Intel HD 3000 graphics.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2012 5:14:20 PM

dont get the acer ones though. heat problems are huge.
m
l
June 27, 2012 5:27:22 PM

What do you mean heat problems? What do heat problems do? I'm a total noob when it comes down to these stuff. :p  I really appreciate all the help but i need a bit more clarification. Thanks
m
l
a c 97 à CPUs
a b D Laptop
June 27, 2012 5:40:11 PM

A lot of laptops have problems with air circulation. Poor air circulation leads to overheating problems. Hardware that is overheating will throttle back performance to protect itself from damage. Running at a high temperature also shortens the life of your components. That's why it is important to ensure that your computer has sufficient cooling.
m
l
June 27, 2012 5:43:25 PM

So if it doesn't have proper cooling, then I won't be able to be on it for prolonged amount of times and will have to let it rest regularly?
m
l
a c 97 à CPUs
a b D Laptop
June 27, 2012 5:54:41 PM

Running components hot for extended periods will shorten their lifespan. So for some laptops, gaming on them for extended periods is not necessarily a good idea. Then again, the Llano APUs don't seem to run too hot, at least mine doesn't, when under gaming load the temps don't go too much above 60 celsius, which isn't bad for a laptop. Though maybe my Toshiba has better cooling than the Acer.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2012 6:00:26 PM

my acer has a i5 460m and im getting around 80 degrees

the cooling is bad on acer laptops. laptop mats dont really help since the acer has really small intake ports
m
l
June 27, 2012 6:22:07 PM

If I were to game, how many hours do you think I can play in one go before letting it cool down? I rarely play 3+ hours straight. And would this be a big problem? Because I really want a computer and seriously, this is the best one that I can find. (I can't order online or else I would be getting way better) Thanks.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2012 6:23:40 PM

for the acer laptop, within 1 hour, i get around 70c
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2012 6:23:54 PM

maybe its just me but who knows?
m
l
June 27, 2012 6:24:19 PM

And how bad is that? What temperature should I completely stop playing? And when I do reach the cap, that doesn't prevent me from going on Facebook and Youtube, does it? Or do I have to completely shut it down?
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2012 6:32:02 PM

it will perform at around the same level but once it reaches 80c, the system starts throttling down (my system). when it is throttling, i cant get 20 frames in TF2.

i just sleep the computer for around 5mins and throw it in the fridge so i can start playing again :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2012 6:32:23 PM

just get a hp or a asus laptop. much better cooling solutions
m
l
June 27, 2012 6:39:19 PM

Are you serious that you put it in the fridge? :o  Isn't that extreme? And I would, but I can't get a decent one around my price range. The graphics cards are always Intel 3000, which I think is rubbish. Overall, would you think that it's worth getting this? Because yes, I'm really going to play like an hour or so, because I'm going to have a lot of school work so yeah. What's your overall impression? Seriously, I can't thank you enough, you helped me so much so thanks a lot! :D 
m
l
a c 97 à CPUs
a b D Laptop
June 27, 2012 7:02:13 PM

I think he was joking about the fridge, your computer will cool down sufficiently at room temperature. In your price range, the AMD laptop is probably your best bet, anything Intel for around $500 will have HD 3000. You have to go up to about $700 before you start seeing Intel laptops with dedicated graphics from AMD or nvidia. If you can find a brand besides Acer that has the same APU, that might be better as far as cooling goes.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2012 7:06:20 PM

Supernova1138 said:
I think he was joking about the fridge, your computer will cool down sufficiently at room temperature. In your price range, the AMD laptop is probably your best bet, anything Intel for around $500 will have HD 3000. You have to go up to about $700 before you start seeing Intel laptops with dedicated graphics from AMD or nvidia. If you can find a brand besides Acer that has the same APU, that might be better as far as cooling goes.

well i didnt really have to throw it in the fridge, but if i need it to be cool fast, id do so. generally i just put the laptop over the ac duct so it runs cool....
m
l
June 28, 2012 11:07:15 AM

I was gonna ask you if the Gateway was good because I researched and found that one too lol. As for the Samsung, I would really try getting that. It looks really good. Thanks a lot. Right now, I'm either probably going to get the Gateway or the Samsung, those two look really good, and I would really want to get the Samsung. Thanks a lot. And when I mean school work, I mean research, typing, Facebook :p , and yeah stuff like that. Thanks soo much!
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 28, 2012 12:02:06 PM

actually, you should check out the weekly flyer for some good deals. samsung is better than gateway since samsung laptops from what i heard run cooler and are lighter than most other laptops
m
l
June 28, 2012 3:15:59 PM

Thanks a lot. And would I be expecting to see these laptops go on sale for like a school sale or something?
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 28, 2012 3:47:25 PM

they usually do have one at labour day. by then, there would be new ivy bridge laptops which are better than the current sandy bridge chips.just wait it out until the new laptops arrive in the summer
m
l
June 28, 2012 6:36:07 PM

OK thanks a lot!
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 28, 2012 6:47:47 PM

no problem
m
l
a c 150 à CPUs
a b D Laptop
June 28, 2012 8:46:27 PM

Yes the few weeks leading up to school are usually the best times for laptops to go on sale.
m
l
a c 150 à CPUs
a b D Laptop
June 30, 2012 7:54:12 PM

thats a bot by the way.
m
l
July 2, 2012 11:32:21 AM

Oh lol never knew.
m
l