Sign in with
Your question

BIOS CPU temp reading increases from 50 to 70 (then stays there)

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
June 26, 2012 10:00:39 PM

I got my new PC assembled 2 days ago . Bios CPU temperature reading starts from 50 C and slowly increases till 70 C and stays there as long as Bios is ON . I can feel the hot heat coming out of the rear fan .

NOW THE WEIRD THING , After windows 7 loads , I run CoreTemp and CPUZ , SpeedFan ,HWM monitor and the Core readings never touch 50 C even if room temp is 35C

Is the processor really overheating ??? or is it the BIOS procedure to bring CPU under Full load ???

Updated my BIOS using express install

System Hardware :-

i5 2500K 3.3 GHz (stock HSF with pre-applied paste )
Intel DH67BL Mobo
1 GB GDDR5 ATI Radeon HD6670 VGA
4 gb DDR3 RAM
Cooler Master Elite 371 with 3 fans (rear , front ,CPU ) and 4 more vents for additional Fans

I was a NOOB in PC building , but did a lot of reading and stuff now .

Tom's hardware is BOSS

* CPU PASSED INTEL'S PROCESSOR DIAGNOSTIC TESTS

More about : bios cpu temp reading increases stays

a b à CPUs
June 26, 2012 11:34:55 PM

Did you turn off the FAN control in BIOS & use speedfan to contol it? It may just be possible that it is off & therefore spin slowly while you speedfan application is not yet running. Once you load up the OS & starts speedfan, then fan is controlled to bring down your temp to the desired target.
m
l
June 27, 2012 2:49:21 AM

Fan control is in Auto mode in BIOS . CPU fan never exceeds 1200 RPM even if the CPU temp is at 70 . Also changing the responsiveness of FAN to FAST only adds another degree to the high temp :S
after windows is loaded , the intel utility shows the temperature going down from 59C

RPM changes are fast but there's no noise as such even at 70 C :S
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2012 5:58:41 AM

Uninstall speedfan....goto the BIOS and reset all values to Default, and see what happens:) 
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
June 27, 2012 6:02:29 AM

The reason why BIOS temperatures are higher is C1E. This doesn't kick in until you boot into windows, though your temperatures are a bit high even in BIOS.
m
l
June 27, 2012 7:12:46 AM

amuffin said:
The reason why BIOS temperatures are higher is C1E. This doesn't kick in until you boot into windows, though your temperatures are a bit high even in BIOS.

So it means that BIOS is putting stress on CPU , hence the temp rise . And after window 7 starts , C1E kicks in , lowers CPU temp, and that's why Coretemp ,HW monitor and EVEN intel's desktop utility shows CPU temp = 40 - 45 on idle .

So the reason CPU touches 70C is coz of my Stock HSF ?? If I install some aftermarket cooler , then it might bring the BIOS load temp down right ??

so are these CPU Monitoring tools accurate ?? Real Temp , CoreTemp ,Intel Utility , HW , and others are all showing 39-45 readings with no difference (only 1 deg C)

*Also my Stock HSF is properly pinned down onto the mobo .
*same BIOS temp rise in my 4 yr old pentium D chip with HSF :o 
m
l
June 27, 2012 8:45:29 AM

amuffin said:
You probably didn't install the cooler correctly. Make sure all push pins are all the way through. If you need help, refer to this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/338655-28-intel-stock...
It's in the workings ATM but it should get the job done :) 

That's an awesome tutorial

but my fan is properly installed ..........these are some snaps (tell the whole story :wahoo:  )

m
l
!