pocket cam battery life in my bag

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 6, 2005 10:57:59 PM

I am looking for a pocket digicam (in good quality) to carry with me
always.
The issue is that those I have bought so (like the Canon Ixus/Elph 2)
far lose their battery power after a few days in my bag, even when I
don't use them. So they're not ready when I need them.
Any recommendations?

--
Yours, Eolake

eolake@stobblehouse.com
http://stobblehouse.com
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 10:58:00 PM

"Eolake Stobblehouse" <eolake@maccreator.spamremove.net> wrote in message
>I am looking for a pocket digicam (in good quality) to carry with me
> always.
> The issue is that those I have bought so (like the Canon Ixus/Elph 2)
> far lose their battery power after a few days in my bag, even when I
> don't use them. So they're not ready when I need them.
> Any recommendations?
>
> --
> Yours, Eolake

Carry a spare battery with you. I have an Optio (4mp), which is quite
small. Not sure if it takes photos as good as your Canon, but it uses AA
batteries and seems to hold up well over time when not being used.
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 10:58:00 PM

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 18:57:59 +0100, in rec.photo.digital Eolake
Stobblehouse <eolake@maccreator.spamremove.net> wrote:

>I am looking for a pocket digicam (in good quality) to carry with me
>always.
>The issue is that those I have bought so (like the Canon Ixus/Elph 2)
>far lose their battery power after a few days in my bag, even when I
>don't use them. So they're not ready when I need them.
>Any recommendations?

This doesn't sound right. What type of batteries are you using? NiMh will
lose approximately 1% of their charge per day.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
June 6, 2005 10:58:01 PM

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 18:16:21 -0400, Ed Ruf wrote:

> This doesn't sound right. What type of batteries are you using? NiMh will
> lose approximately 1% of their charge per day.

What you say is true for new NiMH batteries. But older batteries,
especially if they're used infrequently or otherwise not cared for
properly will lose capacity, sometimes a great amount. Even a weak
battery should be able to take a dozen or more pictures in a
"fleeting situation" a week after being charged. Since it sounds
like this isn't the case, Eolake may simply need a new battery. It
only takes one bad cell to make the entire NiMH battery useless.
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 11:41:32 PM

Eolake Stobblehouse wrote:
> I am looking for a pocket digicam (in good quality) to carry with me
> always.
> The issue is that those I have bought so (like the Canon Ixus/Elph 2)
> far lose their battery power after a few days in my bag, even when I
> don't use them. So they're not ready when I need them.
> Any recommendations?

You can buy a camera that uses rechargeable lithium batteries, or AA
batteries that will accept the CRV3 non-rechargeable lithium battery.
Also, buy a good camera that doesn't drain batteries while the camera is
off.
I took my camera on vacation for a week and had no problems with the 5
day stay and didn't even discharge one set of NIMH AAs.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
June 7, 2005 2:11:17 AM

"Eolake Stobblehouse" <eolake@maccreator.spamremove.net> wrote in message
>I am looking for a pocket digicam (in good quality) to carry with me
> always.
> The issue is that those I have bought so (like the Canon Ixus/Elph 2)
> far lose their battery power after a few days in my bag, even when I
> don't use them. So they're not ready when I need them.
> Any recommendations?
>
> --
> Yours, Eolake
>
> eolake@stobblehouse.com
> http://stobblehouse.com

Sheldon's advice is very sound, and is common sense.

If you really want to be able to take a photo immediately you see a likely
subject, then it is up to you to ensure that your batteries are fully
charged and ready to go. So check them before you leave home each and every
morning.

Or go and buy a film camera which does not rely on batteries.

Don't make such "wet" excuses, to posters who are trying to be helpful.

Roy G
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 2:34:30 AM

In article <KKKdnR9_DIyTCznfRVn-3g@comcast.com>, Sheldon
<sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> wrote:

> "Eolake Stobblehouse" <eolake@maccreator.spamremove.net> wrote in message
> >I am looking for a pocket digicam (in good quality) to carry with me
> > always.
> > The issue is that those I have bought so (like the Canon Ixus/Elph 2)
> > far lose their battery power after a few days in my bag, even when I
> > don't use them. So they're not ready when I need them.
> > Any recommendations?
> >
> > --
> > Yours, Eolake
> >
> Carry a spare battery with you.

It is an option, but no good if it is a fleeting situation I want to
photograph.

--
Yours, Eolake

eolake@stobblehouse.com
http://stobblehouse.com
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 2:34:31 AM

> In article <KKKdnR9_DIyTCznfRVn-3g@comcast.com>, Sheldon
> <sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> wrote:
>
>> "Eolake Stobblehouse" <eolake@maccreator.spamremove.net> wrote in message
>> >I am looking for a pocket digicam (in good quality) to carry with me
>> > always.
>> > The issue is that those I have bought so (like the Canon Ixus/Elph 2)
>> > far lose their battery power after a few days in my bag, even when I
>> > don't use them. So they're not ready when I need them.
>> > Any recommendations?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Yours, Eolake
>> >
>> Carry a spare battery with you.
>
> It is an option, but no good if it is a fleeting situation I want to
> photograph.
>
> --
> Yours, Eolake

What others have said about having a "bad" battery is certainly something to
look at. Also, I would call Canon. I don't think this is normal for any
digital camera. Unless the thing is left on, and doesn't turn off
automatically, it should be able to sit around a little less than the shelf
life of the battery. Normally, the loss on a rechargeable is about 1% a
day. My Optio (2xAA) has been sitting around two weeks and still turns on
showing charged batteries (green).
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 3:14:20 AM

Eolake Stobblehouse wrote:
> I am looking for a pocket digicam (in good quality) to carry with me
> always.
> The issue is that those I have bought so (like the Canon Ixus/Elph 2)
> far lose their battery power after a few days in my bag, even when I
> don't use them. So they're not ready when I need them.
> Any recommendations?

NiMH and Lithium-ion rechargeables will lose charge while sitting idle
in the bag; there's no way around that. If the camera you choose uses a
proprietary battery, all you can do is plan on recharging it every few
days. If the camera uses AAs, you can try using alkalines (or
non-rechargeable lithiums) instead of rechargeables, or at least pack a
few in the case as spares. Don't expect alkaline AAs to last for as
many shots as fully-charged AA rechargeables, just be happy that they
don't lose their charge quickly in storage.

--
Walter Luffman Medina, TN USA
Amateur curmudgeon, equal opportunity annoyer

Aw, that's a bit harsh. My digital SLR can sit for months and not drain
the battery. I don't think it is unreasonable for me to want to find a
small digicam which does not demand constant checking and battery
charging from me. After all it is pretty weak that the camera drains
the battery without even being turned on.
(If I were using it every day it would be another matter. But this is
just for 'in case' pictures.)

--
Yours, Eolake

eolake@stobblehouse.com
http://stobblehouse.com
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 2:24:25 PM

"Eolake Stobblehouse" <eolake@maccreator.spamremove.net> wrote in message
> I am looking for a pocket digicam (in good quality) to carry with me
> always.
> The issue is that those I have bought so (like the Canon Ixus/Elph 2)
> far lose their battery power after a few days in my bag, even when I
> don't use them. So they're not ready when I need them.
> Any recommendations?

There are 2 issues here:
Battery self-discharge and your camera's current consumption when it's
powered off.
The first one is easy: Use non-rechargeable Lithium AAs (which keep most of
their charge for up to 10 years, unless stored at high temperatures).
The second one is more difficult. Find out how much current your camera
draws when switched off. I would try to actually measure it and guess it's a
couple of 100uA or a few mA worst case. Once you know this value, compare it
against the Lithium AA capacity and you know how long your switched off
camera takes to drain the AAs. Plan to replace your AAs well before that,
and you're on the safe side.
Alternatively, you can store the AAs outside of the camera, but then your
camera will probably lose date, time and possibly other data.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 4:44:55 PM

In article <X26pe.6286$rt3.4941@fe03.lga>, Ron Hunter
<rphunter@charter.net> wrote:

> Also, buy a good camera that doesn't drain batteries while the camera is
> off.

Yes, that is the sort I am looking for.

> I took my camera on vacation for a week and had no problems with the 5
> day stay and didn't even discharge one set of NIMH AAs.

Which camera is that? Is it compact?

--
Yours, Eolake

eolake@stobblehouse.com
http://stobblehouse.com
June 7, 2005 5:41:47 PM

Eolake Stobblehouse wrote:
> I am looking for a pocket digicam (in good quality) to carry with me
> always.
> The issue is that those I have bought so (like the Canon Ixus/Elph 2)
> far lose their battery power after a few days in my bag, even when I
> don't use them. So they're not ready when I need them.
> Any recommendations?

NiMH batteries lose their charge in storage. Lithium batteries cost more, but hold the
charge. You might salso be able to use NiCd batteries, but you have to be sure to
discharge them fully before you charge them.
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 3:23:29 AM

Eolake Stobblehouse <eolake@maccreator.spamremove.net> writes:

> In article <KKKdnR9_DIyTCznfRVn-3g@comcast.com>, Sheldon
> <sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> wrote:
>
> > "Eolake Stobblehouse" <eolake@maccreator.spamremove.net> wrote in message
> > >I am looking for a pocket digicam (in good quality) to carry with me
> > > always.
> > > The issue is that those I have bought so (like the Canon Ixus/Elph 2)
> > > far lose their battery power after a few days in my bag, even when I
> > > don't use them. So they're not ready when I need them.
> > > Any recommendations?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Yours, Eolake
> > >
> > Carry a spare battery with you.
>
> It is an option, but no good if it is a fleeting situation I want to
> photograph.

Nimh batteries do lose their charge even if not used, however a few days seems
excessive. Perhaps the battery is bad or the charger isn't fully charging the
batteries (if the batteries are AA batteries, most of the cheaper overnight
chargers are rubbish). Or perhaps something is joustling your camera and
turning it on.

In any case, it is good to get in the habbit of charging your batteries
regularly, including having a spare battery in the charger, and replacing it
every 1-2 days with the older battery.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org

see.my.address@my.sig writes:
>The issue is that those I have bought so (like the Canon Ixus/Elph 2)
>far lose their battery power after a few days in my bag, even when I
>don't use them. So they're not ready when I need them.

Not sure what that camera is called locally. But I have a Canon SD410,
a member of the Ixus/Elph digital family, and I sometimes leave it in my
pack for a couple of months between charges. It has never failed to
power up when I wanted it.

I wouldn't expect to have a *full* battery charge after several months,
but the camera is usable for at least some photos after that time.

Perhaps your camera or battery is simply defective.

Dave
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 6:21:11 PM

> I wouldn't expect to have a *full* battery charge after several months,
> but the camera is usable for at least some photos after that time.
>
> Perhaps your camera or battery is simply defective.

It is possible. Thanks, Dave.

(I was starting to regard it as universal, having the same issues with
two or three cameras, as well as music players.)

--
Yours, Eolake

eolake@stobblehouse.com
http://stobblehouse.com
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 8:29:41 PM

see.my.address@my.sig writes:

>(I was starting to regard it as universal, having the same issues with
>two or three cameras, as well as music players.)

Yes, I know about that. Many electronic devices continue to draw
current when they are "off" because the "power switch" is really an
electronic circuit that itself requires power in the off position.
In addition, some devices have a DC-DC converter (particularly if they
operate from 1.5 V) that's always operating even when the main circuitry
is off.

So I have a MP3 player that will discharge its AAA battery in a few
weeks of non-use, and a handheld radio receiver that will discharge two
NiMh AAs in a month or so. But I have not had this happen with my S410,
so I expect that the ratio of off-state current over battery capacity is
lower.

Also, you might consider taking the battery out of the camera when
you're not using it. Keep it in the same pack so it's ready, but out of
the camera. This should extend its shelf life. I don't do this,
because it would cause the date/time info to be lost after a few weeks,
but it's an option.

Dave
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 8:48:26 PM

I have an old cannon s110 (Elph family) that has been a resident of my brief case for several years. I have two battery packs for it both lose some charge over time. The camera has functioned without problem problem after being in my brief case fro a
month or two.

w..

!