steve0529

Honorable
May 22, 2012
Recently, I posted a thread to see if it would be worth it to drop a few hundred bucks into my existing system to revamp which would consist of upgrading to a Phenom II X4 945, adding in some extra RAM to give me 8 gigs total (seeing as that would be the best my motherboard would allow) and a mid end PCI e 2.0 card until I spend some dough on a serious, high powered PC. While it would be a decent performance boost for what I'm using right now (along with some unforeseen costs for at least the time being) I've decided I would rather just wait it out, though I would have more money in a few months.

Currently, I'm a student going to school for Network Administration and I would like to be able to run a stable environment that would be able to handle a good amount of virtualization. Nothing all that serious, but I'd like to be able to run at most 8 virtual systems on one host PC. I would do some gaming, maybe like EQ1 on occasion (lol, can't kick the habit, too many memories) but probably nothing all that taxing such as Crysis 2, etc. (I still do some gaming on my PS3 anyway)

Now I've done some virtualization in a classroom environment. The PC's that my school has are actually pretty decent, they run components such as a Sandy bridge i7 (don't think it's a K version, as they're just HP's) and have 8 gigs of RAM, and a gimpy little Radeon 6350, Win7 for the OS. Anyway, with the use of Virtualbox, they can run three instances of Windows Server 2008 at 1024x768 and I configured each instance to utilize two gigs of RAM. There's some slight hints of lag though, but I suspect it's because the system is running low on RAM and that the processor still has plenty to give. I'll post tomorrow to see how the processor looks during this type of load.

That being said, and having done a good amount of reading on the FX series processors with a bulk of the reviews being largely negative (at least, in regards to gaming) would it be a better choice for me to go with Bulldozer, or to try an Ivy bridge i7 for the sheer power and hyperthreading? Would system virtualization be able to make use of the 8 cores of Bulldozer? I mean, I wouldn't be doing any super serious gaming, but that could change. I'm not opposed to overclocking, but I probably wouldn't SLi or Crossfire due to budgetary constraints, so a single graphics card would be optimal in this situation. This is all of course assuming that Piledriver will fall a bit short of expectations.

Any input would be appreciated.

nna2

Distinguished
i7 is for sure the way to go, bulldozer may have more cores, but you will have to use more of them to achieve the same performance because bulldozer uses weaker 32 bit cores in a "modular" design (2 of the cores are supposed to work together)... and the FX 8150 preforms a little weaker than the i5 2500k

piledriver is supposed to be a 15% improvement on bulldozer, and proved itself when toms hardware tested trinity against bulldozer (or was it Llano?) so if you want to wait out, it should be coming in a few months