Sign in with
Your question

Problem with a new built system - Red PG Signal light

Last response: in Systems
March 12, 2012 9:40:57 PM

Hi all,

I have just built a new PC and Im having a problem getting it to come on.

The PC will power up with 3 green lights on the PSU (standby/pg signal/temperature), the blue LED on case comes, the case, PSU & CPU fan all spin then the PG Signal LED on the PSU flashes red and the PC shuts down.

I have tried troubleshooting each part going back to the bare bones, removing all HDDs, 1 stick of RAM, unplugging case cables etc. but the same problem happens everytime. I've got a feeling it's the mobo but not really sure. Does anyone have any ideas which I can try as I've saved for ages for the parts and cant really afford to get anyone to take a look at it : /

Spec
Fractal R3
i5 2500k
Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Mobo
Thermaltake Toughpower XT 575W PSU
Gelid Tranquilo Rev2 CPU Cooler
Corsair XMS3 4 x 2Gb RAM
ASUS 1Gb silent GT 220 Graphics Card
Crucial 256gb SSD
WD Caviar Green 1TB HDD

Cheers in advance
Gerrard
a b B Homebuilt system
March 12, 2012 10:16:29 PM

goneill said:
Hi all,

I have just built a new PC and Im having a problem getting it to come on.

The PC will power up with 3 green lights on the PSU (standby/pg signal/temperature), the blue LED on case comes, the case, PSU & CPU fan all spin then the PG Signal LED on the PSU flashes red and the PC shuts down.

I have tried troubleshooting each part going back to the bare bones, removing all HDDs, 1 stick of RAM, unplugging case cables etc. but the same problem happens everytime. I've got a feeling it's the mobo but not really sure. Does anyone have any ideas which I can try as I've saved for ages for the parts and cant really afford to get anyone to take a look at it : /

Spec
Fractal R3
i5 2500k
Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Mobo
Thermaltake Toughpower XT 575W PSU
Gelid Tranquilo Rev2 CPU Cooler
Corsair XMS3 4 x 2Gb RAM
ASUS 1Gb silent GT 220 Graphics Card
Crucial 256gb SSD
WD Caviar Green 1TB HDD

Cheers in advance
Gerrard

If its possible beg, borrow or..well I won't say (but you know what I mean) another PSU and try that before trashing the mobo. There have been issues like this with this PSU before. It doesn't matter what the wattage is on the "borrowed" PSU cause you're just trying to boot right now. If you still can't boot then look to the mobo since you already followed the right procedure of removing parts etc. Hope this helps. :) 
March 12, 2012 10:24:11 PM

Cheers will see if one of my mates will let me butcher their PCs tomorrow and let you know the ooutcome.
Related resources
March 12, 2012 10:26:39 PM

Are there any lights which should come on on the mobo? I couldnt notice any.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 12, 2012 10:58:01 PM

goneill said:
Are there any lights which should come on on the mobo? I couldnt notice any.

There are but unfortunately they are off by default. You have to enable them in Bios. :( 
!