Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Upgrading to new a graphics card, what is the proceedure?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 8, 2012 7:03:50 PM

I am upgrading from a 5770 to 6970 AMD graphics card. Since I have the latest driver from AMD for my old card already, is it possible to just install my new card and don't have to uninstall and reinstall the graphics driver? What are your thoughts on that?
a c 130 U Graphics card
January 8, 2012 7:20:46 PM

torx11 said:
I am upgrading from a 5770 to 6970 AMD graphics card. Since I have the latest driver from AMD for my old card already, is it possible to just install my new card and don't have to uninstall and reinstall the graphics driver? What are your thoughts on that?


No you cant do that.
You need to download the drivers for the new card from AMD.
Then un-install the drivers for the old card. Power down the PC unplug it and turn on the pc at the front power button to remove residual power then turn it off again.
Take the side off and physically swap/change the two cards over, make sure to connect the power cables.
Generally you don't put the side back on yet as its just asking for something to need you to take it off again, call it system builders Karma or something ;) 
Power up the PC again, it will come up at low resolution usually, then run the drivers install package when you get to the desk top.
When it's all working fine put the side back on and play some games.

Mactronix :) 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 8, 2012 7:30:09 PM

Personally, for maximum stability, remove the CCC and all associated AMD programs before you do the swap. Then reinstall the drivers from a fresh boot after you put the new card in.

Sometimes windows freaks out if you don't remove the previous drivers for simular cards.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 8, 2012 7:32:01 PM

But I have the new drivers from AMD. If you were to look at the link of the drivers for the HD Radeon 5xxx series and the 6xxx series from AMD, they would both point to the same download link. You are basically downloading the same generic driver. That is where I am confused. If I have the latest driver already, why is there a need to uninstall and reinstall when I get a new card?
m
0
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
January 8, 2012 7:42:09 PM

Same generic driver but different cards so the driver package will install different things.
Windows loads device drivers and calls functions in the drivers to carry out actions on the device. Each device driver exports a set of functions; Windows calls these functions. The driver functions contain the device-specific code needed to carry out actions on the device.

Mactronix :) 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 8, 2012 7:42:23 PM

torx11 said:
But I have the new drivers from AMD. If you were to look at the link of the drivers for the HD Radeon 5xxx series and the 6xxx series from AMD, they would both point to the same download link. You are basically downloading the same generic driver. That is where I am confused. If I have the latest driver already, why is there a need to uninstall and reinstall when I get a new card?



yes they seems use the same drivers but i don't know if the software extract the same files installation as it dose to 6xxxx

it might be one software but for mutli versions

so for sure u need to remove software , remove card and then install card and then install the software as , wurkfur ,mactronix stated in their post to ensure card stability

it won't hurt u to install it again :kaola: 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 8, 2012 7:45:01 PM

mactronix said:
Same generic driver but different cards so the driver package will install different things.
Windows loads device drivers and calls functions in the drivers to carry out actions on the device. Each device driver exports a set of functions; Windows calls these functions. The driver functions contain the device-specific code needed to carry out actions on the device.

Mactronix :) 


yeah i thought the same thing also :D 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 8, 2012 8:10:39 PM

torx11 said:
But I have the new drivers from AMD. If you were to look at the link of the drivers for the HD Radeon 5xxx series and the 6xxx series from AMD, they would both point to the same download link. You are basically downloading the same generic driver. That is where I am confused. If I have the latest driver already, why is there a need to uninstall and reinstall when I get a new card?


The drivers may be in the same "install package" and even carry the same version number. BUT DIFFERENT DRIVERS ARE INSTALLED FOR THE DIFFERENT CARDS. That being said, you need to uninstall and reinstall. Either that or just live with the potential unstability. It's up to you. Suffer a silicon lifetime of dissappointment or spend an extra 10 minutes. Go figure.
m
0
l
!