Sign in with
Your question

Opinions on All-in-One Desktops

Last response: in Systems
March 12, 2012 10:13:13 PM

My wife wants me to consider getting an all-in-one desktop. This ok with me on one aspect being that I can upgrade my desktop, but from what I understand you can't really update the components of an all-in-one.

I am looking for any owners of some and if there any suggestions on when it comes to brand. I saw Vizio is soon to be coming out with one and they look really nice. The main purpose of this is to be able to have a Desktop out in the open and it not look like an "eyesore with blue lights" (Antec 900). But like I said, I would be going from a old 2.2 ghz dual core with 4gb ram and cheap 1gb GPU to hopefully something a lot better.

It doesn't need to be a dedicated gaming rig but I would like to run most current games at relatively good setting. I would also rather stay away from touch screens as those tend to drive the price up.

Price I would like to stay around $1,000. Preferably under.

More about : opinions desktops

March 12, 2012 11:47:58 PM

"would like to run most current games at relatively good setting". Won't happen with an all-in-one, unless the resolution is pretty low. GPUs are generally not gaming-class at all. With $1000, you can do some damage with a desktop build. Tell your wife to get over it/get a case with an LED switch.
m
l
March 13, 2012 12:05:58 AM

Overall,all-in-one systems are basically a laptop attached to the back of a desktop monitor. The only things you can upgrade is the hard drive and RAM.
m
l
Related resources
March 13, 2012 12:51:59 AM

All in ones... heavy in price for lack of hardware. Seriously, I had an ex-roommate who bought an all in one for $2,000. The hardware inside was pathetic and amounted to nothing more than a $600 desktop build. $800 if you included a monitor of that size.

I have used all in one PCs in college (some labs had them) and I wasn't very impressed. If you had zero space for a desktop, then oh yeah they are great. Otherwise, a full desktop is where its at.
m
l
March 13, 2012 2:27:32 AM

get a mATX case/CPU my grandfather keeps his PC in a desk drawer that has no back (keep in mind ventilation)
m
l
March 13, 2012 4:50:24 PM

I think based on the responses I will scratch the all-in-one idea and go for more a mini case.
m
l
March 13, 2012 9:07:46 PM

One like that with a built-in, non-standard PSU probably won't be good for any gaming. Limits your CPU and GPU choice a lot. If you just need a case that's not "an eyesore", get something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That's your best bet in a small form-factor to not constrain your other components. Or just find a mid tower that appeals to your sensibilities. Not really sure what to recommend.

But no, the case you linked would not be good for gaming. What resolution monitor will you be using?
m
l
March 13, 2012 9:38:55 PM

mortonww said:
One like that with a built-in, non-standard PSU probably won't be good for any gaming. Limits your CPU and GPU choice a lot. If you just need a case that's not "an eyesore", get something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That's your best bet in a small form-factor to not constrain your other components. Or just find a mid tower that appeals to your sensibilities. Not really sure what to recommend.

But no, the case you linked would not be good for gaming. What resolution monitor will you be using?

Yea I looked at that and saw it wasn't a standard PSU. I like that one you linked. It is still something small that can be hidden but won't limit my decisions when it comes to buy hardware.

I will be using a 21.5 " widescreen at 1920 x 1080
m
l
!