Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is Pentium D960 better than a Core2Duo E5400?

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 12, 2012 10:59:32 PM

Hi guys

I have 3 questions actually

First is which is better Pentium D960 @ 3.6ghz or Core2Duo E5400 @ 2.7ghz

Second I have two boards a Asus P5Q and a Asus P5QL Pro which is better

And Last I have two GPUs a HIS IceQ4 Hd 4850 and a Asus EN9600GT BLACK PEARL. Both are 512mb.

What I am going to do is put the best components together then put the rest together as a spare.

At the moment I have the P5QL Pro, Pentium D960, and Iceq4 and I play mw2, fallout nv, oblivion and skyrim on it. All but Skyrim play on max settings but would I get extra power by using the core2 in it or better gaming using the black pearl?

Im also only using 3.2gb ram I have 4x2gb sticks but dont have a 64bit os yet

Thanks in advance
a b B Homebuilt system
March 12, 2012 11:31:20 PM

morganw333 said:
Hi guys

I have 3 questions actually

First is which is better Pentium D960 @ 3.6ghz or Core2Duo E5400 @ 2.7ghz

I would say the E5400:
http://ark.intel.com/compare/40478,27522

morganw333 said:
Second I have two boards a Asus P5Q and a Asus P5QL Pro which is better

There are quite a few versions of those boards can you be more specific?

morganw333 said:
And Last I have two GPUs a HIS IceQ4 Hd 4850 and a Asus EN9600GT BLACK PEARL. Both are 512mb.

The 4850 is the better card:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,...
Hope this helps. :) 
m
0
l
March 12, 2012 11:37:39 PM

I did some quick research, and I think morgan may have been referring to the Dell E5400 notebook (its the only thing that shows up when i google "core 2 duo e5400") , which has a Core 2 Duo processor, and not to the Pentium E5400. I may be wrong, though.

If he was refering to the laptop, here a side by side comparison from ark http://ark.intel.com/compare/37266,27522
m
0
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
March 12, 2012 11:57:32 PM

James McKeane said:
I did some quick research, and I think morgan may have been referring to the Dell E5400 notebook (its the only thing that shows up when i google "core 2 duo e5400") , which has a Core 2 Duo processor, and not to the Pentium E5400. I may be wrong, though.

If he was refering to the laptop, here a side by side comparison from ark http://ark.intel.com/compare/37266,27522

I don't think he was. I couldn't find a core2duo@2.7ghz on Intel's site. Not to mention those cards aren't going into a laptop. :) 
m
0
l
March 13, 2012 12:04:43 AM

But I am still wandering if a 2ghz+ core2duo would be faster than my pentium d
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 13, 2012 12:08:09 AM

Yes it would.
m
0
l
a c 82 B Homebuilt system
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 13, 2012 12:08:24 AM

The E5400 is a 45nm Wolfdale core. It technically is called a Pentium Dual Core but it is still a Wolfdale making it the last and best of the dual core Core2 chips. One of it's 2.7Ghz cores would outperform any Pentum D by a fair margin. The E5400 should be a very good overclocker as well.
m
0
l
a c 82 B Homebuilt system
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 13, 2012 12:13:06 AM

Your best bet is the P45 based P5Q. The P45 was the best overclocking chipset of LGA 775.

I would guess with a good cooler you should be able to clock that E5400 to at least 3.7 and maybe even 4Ghz with that combo.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 13, 2012 12:16:16 AM

morganw333 said:
sorry i have been doing some research on the E5400 as I had only just brought it off a 2nd hand site and they had advertised it as a core2duo but in fact its just a pentium so I have asked for a refund.

The mobos are http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5Q/ and
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5QL_...

For your purpose/usage the boards are identical, though the Pro offers a little more in the way of memory tweaking. It would be your call on these. :) 
m
0
l
a c 82 B Homebuilt system
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 13, 2012 12:27:09 AM

Chaz21 said:
For your purpose/usage the boards are identical, though the Pro offers a little more in the way of memory tweaking. It would be your call on these. :) 



No, one is a P43 and one is a P45 with 8 phase VRM. The P45 is the better board.
m
0
l
March 13, 2012 12:45:30 AM

thanks guys for the quick replies and great info..
If I can get a refund then I will probably get core2duo e8400 http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=4563884...
which im sure will be better than both the others, I'm just not to sure about paying that much for such an old chip.

But if not then any recommendations on a cooler to oc the e5400 would be great,

I do have a golden orb 2 cooler sitting around but I find it hotter than a stock intel one
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 13, 2012 12:46:11 AM

anort3 said:
No, one is a P43 and one is a P45 with 8 phase VRM. The P45 is the better board.

Right you are! :D 
m
0
l
a c 82 B Homebuilt system
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 13, 2012 1:02:11 AM

morganw333 said:
thanks guys for the quick replies and great info..
If I can get a refund then I will probably get core2duo e8400 http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=4563884...
which im sure will be better than both the others, I'm just not to sure about paying that much for such an old chip.

But if not then any recommendations on a cooler to oc the e5400 would be great,

I do have a golden orb 2 cooler sitting around but I find it hotter than a stock intel one



The E8400 is a great chip and I had one for almost 4 years overclocked to 4.050Ghz ( 450FSB ) and it still runs at that speed today for my buddy I sold it to.

BUT.

What did you pay for the E5400? To be honest since they are the same architecture and both dual core I would not pay much more for the E8400. The E5400 is a good chip and will give you close to the same clocks an E8400 will. The E8400 has a larger cache and as such would be slightly better for gaming but you really need a quad these days for games.

If you plan on paying more for a CPU than you paid for the E5400 then I recommend trying to find a quad core. The Q8xxx series are decent overclockers and you might find one fairly cheap. The Q9xxx series are overly expensive most places I have seen them for sale.

Either way LGA 775 is pretty much obsolete from the standpoint that they are no longer made so I would spend as little as you can to get the results you want. Save your money for a new system rather than investing in dead tech.

I would get something cheap like a Hyper 212+ or Hyper 212 Evo. Good budget coolers and will likely work for any platform updates you might do in the future. Most people hit 4.5Ghz with those coolers and the 2500K/2600K chips. The Evo costs a bit more and is a bit better.
m
0
l
March 13, 2012 1:25:53 AM

I paid $53.50 for the e5400 but thats including postage and a stock intel cooler, I can probably get the E8400 for $75.

But also I should mention I am in New Zealand and we dont have much choice of computer components, especially cheap parts.
And as Im new to building I wanted to start with cheaper parts before I spent heaps on an i7
m
0
l
March 13, 2012 2:13:41 AM

i just re-tired my C2D to my HTPC, it was an awesome chip for the time and still is a good one. nothing wrong with building a used/ cheap CPU for learning sake, it will do what you want to do to a point. buy/build a 1155 system in a year or so and you'll get the best bang for your buck.
m
0
l
March 13, 2012 1:01:41 PM

just got a 2.33Ghz Intel Core Duo E6550 for $30 so guna use that, but is it better than a pentium d960?
m
0
l
March 13, 2012 1:08:26 PM

Yes, sure CD E6550 is much better than Pentium D960.
m
0
l
a c 82 B Homebuilt system
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 13, 2012 4:21:17 PM

Any Core2Duo or Pentium Dual Core is better than any Pentium D. As I stated above a single core from those newer chips outperform both cores of a Pentium D. A Pentium D 930 is roughly the same as a new single core 1.5Ghz Intel Atom netbook processor.

The E6550 is an older first generation Core2 65nm Conroe chip and will not be as fast or overclock as well as the second generation Core2 45nm E5400 Wolfdale chip. The E6550 will max out in the 3.6Ghz range.
m
0
l
!