Swaping networks and having issues.

loominal

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
Ok, So first off thank you for anyone who is reading this and is trying to help. I've been having issue's for months.. and i think it's about time to ask for help lol Here is a line of info about my computer.

HP Laptop dv7 w/ Windows 7 Pro x64
2gb RAM
has bluetooth/wireless/ and wired network port.

So here is the situation. I work in a Office at "point A" and inside "Point A" i plug my network cable into my laptop / computer. Everynow and then myself or a co-worker will unplug that network cable before shutting down (while it's on the desktop) then we shut down the pc and go home.

The next day we take our laptop to the Office in a different building "Point B". Now when you plug into that office you can't connect to the network and /release / renew or the troubleshooter cannot connect the computer to the network at that office. You have no inTRAnet or inTERnet.

INTERNAL Network info:

Office A:

ip range
172.21.2.1 - 172.21.3.255
Subnet Mask:
255:255:254:0
Gateway

Office B:

ip range
172.21.62.1 - 172.21.62.255
Subnet Mask:
255:255:254:0
Gateway

so anyway when i take this LAPTOP to office B, when i do ipconfig i get a IP Address for Office A and a subnet mask of 255:255:255:0, and a Gateway of 0.0.0.0

I've tried /release /renew in both admin mode / regular. In safemode with networking.. and nothing. The only thing that works is to give it a static IP address with a proper DNS and using a empty IP address i get from a network scanner (to make sure i'm not using a IP address in use)

How can i reset this network so that it pulls from the DHCP router correctly.

Oh not to mention when i go BACK to "point A" and plug in everything comes back as if nothing has happened.

someone19

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
How many DHCP servers does the office have? I bet they have one that serves both buildings, that's why your getting an IP from building A; your MAC address has been saved in the DHCP server's memory and assigns it the last IP address it gave it.

To be honest its a poor practice, planning and execution to have a setup in this manner. It just causes headaches for roaming users (that would be you in this case). DHCP servers are commonly in home use routers, but never in commercial / office grade routers. There's a computer running a DHCP server that needs to be reconfigured with roaming in mind.

Unfortunately I think your static IP plan is the only option until the server gets fixed.

loominal

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
so there's no tool or way in windows to reset this MAC ? i mean they do have one DHCP and won't change... ?? so if my MAC is saved in the DHCP server .. just out of curiosity is there something i could tell them that would suggest a solution or fix with no or minimal cost?

I know this isn't a easy answer but i'm sure they will understand more then i.. however i asked them about this problem and they just said you have to go static till you get back to office A..

THIS IS REALLY ANNOYING! lol

someone19

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
The simple solution for them is to reconfigure their server to have a different response depending on which network segment the request comes from. This would probably require a complete reconfiguration of the DHCP server, and possibly a day or two time from the sysadmin. This is probably a step they don't want to take for maybe 2% of their computers that have this problem, especially after you 'found a fix.'

Basically your telling the helpdesk that you got it to work, but its inconvenient. That's so low on tech radar that it isn't logged as a critical situation. If your in a position of any influence on some higher up managers, you may be able to appeal to them the lost productivity of the mobile user, and that there are simple configuration changes that may be able to be implemented with no hardware cost and minimal reconfiguring.

Emerald's suggestion is good too, as it does sidestep the main problem.