Sign in with
Your question

Computer wont take both gigs of ram installed

Last response: in Systems
March 12, 2012 11:09:37 PM

Hello, I did the crucial tester on there site and purchased a gig of ram (computer can hold 2) then I decided to go ahead and purchase another gig. Well I installed the second one today and my computer wont take it, but it will take it by itself. I have swapped them took one out put one in tried both ports. They will both work in either port but when I try to install them at the same time the computer wont ever acknowledge that there is another gig of ram installed (in bios) Please help!!!!
March 12, 2012 11:16:39 PM

Ok so I wanted to add a few things. One I purchased 2 1gig rams from crucial, at two separate times. Both gigs of ram work fine on their own but as soon as I install them together the computer doesnt recognize it. My computer is able to be upgraded by 2 gigs of ram so I know that I can install it. Thanks guys!
m
l
March 13, 2012 12:41:08 AM

It may be possible that the second RAM slot is bad. Did you have that slot populated with another RAM stick previously?

I would also, just to be safe, download Memtest86+ and run it on each individual stick for several hours to make sure the stick isn't faulty.
m
l
Related resources
March 13, 2012 12:42:33 AM

It would very much help if you were to tell us what computer and what RAM you are talking about.
m
l
March 13, 2012 3:48:40 AM

SORRY!!!! Its a Compaq Presario Sr2011wm, and it a ddr2, also I check each ram individually and in both ram slots and like I was saying they work fine but once they are both installed the computer just doesnt recognize it...
m
l
March 13, 2012 4:22:29 AM

Are the memory sticks identical? Same model number,voltage, speed and Cas latency?

You computer only supports single channel RAM so you would not lose performance from only running 1 stick. If you can not get two sticks to run you can always try a single 2GB stick.
m
l
!