Computer wont take both gigs of ram installed

NickColbert1

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
Hello, I did the crucial tester on there site and purchased a gig of ram (computer can hold 2) then I decided to go ahead and purchase another gig. Well I installed the second one today and my computer wont take it, but it will take it by itself. I have swapped them took one out put one in tried both ports. They will both work in either port but when I try to install them at the same time the computer wont ever acknowledge that there is another gig of ram installed (in bios) Please help!!!!

NickColbert1

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
Ok so I wanted to add a few things. One I purchased 2 1gig rams from crucial, at two separate times. Both gigs of ram work fine on their own but as soon as I install them together the computer doesnt recognize it. My computer is able to be upgraded by 2 gigs of ram so I know that I can install it. Thanks guys!

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
It may be possible that the second RAM slot is bad. Did you have that slot populated with another RAM stick previously?

I would also, just to be safe, download Memtest86+ and run it on each individual stick for several hours to make sure the stick isn't faulty.

D

Deleted member 217926

It would very much help if you were to tell us what computer and what RAM you are talking about.

NickColbert1

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
SORRY!!!! Its a Compaq Presario Sr2011wm, and it a ddr2, also I check each ram individually and in both ram slots and like I was saying they work fine but once they are both installed the computer just doesnt recognize it...

D

Deleted member 217926

Are the memory sticks identical? Same model number,voltage, speed and Cas latency?

You computer only supports single channel RAM so you would not lose performance from only running 1 stick. If you can not get two sticks to run you can always try a single 2GB stick.