Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What case to use for my build?

Last response: in Components
June 26, 2012 11:39:14 PM

So I am currently putting together this system:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($33.50 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($131.59 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($417.55 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec Eleven Hundred ATX Full Tower Case ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.95 @ B&H)
Keyboard: Microsoft CSD-00001 Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($49.99 @ Adorama)
Total: $1580.51
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

I have already bought the RAM, SSD and HDD. I will buy most of the other stuff in about 10 days' time. I have no idea what to do with the case, though. First I thought I would get an Antec P280, then I changed it to the eleven hundred, but am contemplating the Corsair Carbide 500R. I want a simple, black design, and I am really put off by the LED fans in the 500R (looks wise I love the P280 the most), but I want to have a case with good ventilation, and I don't know what else I should care about.

Ideally I would spend less than $120 on the case, but if there's good reason I'm open to spending more.

Thanks!

More about : case build

a b ) Power supply
June 27, 2012 1:17:17 AM

i would reccomend the CM 690 II advanced (being an owner)... it feels very high quality

there is a front LED fan, but there is a button on the front panel to turn the light off :) 

the tool free bays are very easy to use, for the 3.5" bays you just flex the holder a bit to catch your hard drive, and the top holder is converted to hold an SSD

the 5.25" drives are a switch, simple enough

the cable management is great, and takes a few mins to do, but is worth it, and creates a very clean looking case

holds my 11.5" HD 6870 with room to spare, and holds ATX boards (claims 7 + 1 expansion support, but i cant locate the extra 1?)

some things i dislike though

interior is black, makes it difficult to work in without a flashlight

front dust filter turns a nice shade of grey, requires constant cleaning (i have a dusty house)

needs more space for cable routing! (inbehind, gets hard to put the door back on lol)

but overall, i love it, and it looks great on my desk
m
l
June 27, 2012 2:39:03 AM

megmeg said:
So I am currently putting together this system:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($33.50 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($131.59 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($417.55 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec Eleven Hundred ATX Full Tower Case ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.95 @ B&H)
Keyboard: Microsoft CSD-00001 Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($49.99 @ Adorama)
Total: $1580.51
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

I have already bought the RAM, SSD and HDD. I will buy most of the other stuff in about 10 days' time. I have no idea what to do with the case, though. First I thought I would get an Antec P280, then I changed it to the eleven hundred, but am contemplating the Corsair Carbide 500R. I want a simple, black design, and I am really put off by the LED fans in the 500R (looks wise I love the P280 the most), but I want to have a case with good ventilation, and I don't know what else I should care about.

Ideally I would spend less than $120 on the case, but if there's good reason I'm open to spending more.

Thanks!

as my experience as proven to me cramming $1500 in hardware into a 'cheap' case isn't always best unless you have it living in a room that is cool and dust free most of the year otherwise it will get hot causing long range problems or you'll just find it not to have the features you want or need like where the psu is mounted, the clearance for an oversized GPU, how large your CPU cooler can be, if you see water cooling in the near future is there room for hoses, pumps, radiators, reservoirs or are you ok with it being its own entity. Im not trying to discourage you but the case, while it may seem like a cosmetic thing, is a very, very real situational decision
m
l
Related resources
June 27, 2012 5:56:14 AM

Well I'm asking so it would be awesome if you had actual suggestions. I want to know exactly what I should be looking for, and I would bet there are non-flashy cases out there that get the job done. What does the $90 difference between your case (NZXT Switch 810) and the CM 690 II advanced get you?

I'm not trying to be cheap, just trying to not be foolish.
m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
June 27, 2012 8:02:28 AM

The 500R is an excellent case..$139

http://www.corsair.com/carbide-series-500r-mid-tower-ca...

But if you want better looks and not loose any ventilation then i would pay a bit extra and buy the 550D, its beautifull and has excellent features and will do you're quality components justice..$159

http://www.corsair.com/en/pc-cases/obsidian-series-pc-c...
June 27, 2012 3:45:07 PM

Wow, the 550D looks great, and I like the features. bartholomew, those are excellent options as well, thanks! I'll make my decision next week (I'm moving so can't really order anything right now). This is maybe the hardest part to choose :) 
m
l
June 27, 2012 6:45:43 PM

I got the switch because of the themed build im doing and because i just liked the way it looked. the only downside to it is there is quite a bit of plastic. from the quick look at the 690 i can see that while it may be sturdier it is a mid tower which means less space. also from what i can tell the spots where they advertise fans fans to go or WC Rads there are actually drive bays so you would have one or the other not both. I went with the requirements that i made for a case for this build. we can only offer advice and experience but we cant tell you which one to get. You know your needs better than we do here. but i can honestly say buying a mid tower before my full tower made me really appreciate the room in the switch however it also made me regret buying the mid tower.
m
l
July 7, 2012 9:18:46 PM

Got the 550D. Thanks everyone!
m
l
July 7, 2012 9:19:07 PM

Best answer selected by megmeg.
m
l
!