Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti driver crashing. Need to flash bios?

Hey guys. I've been posting in this forum actively over past few months, and now I have a problem myself. I've build a new rig two months ago and I am having a problems with video card drivers crashing.

Basically, when I am doing visually light work, like Microsoft Visual Studio 2010, or Microsoft Word 2010, my screen would go blank for around 5-7 seconds, then it would reappear, and it would state that graphics driver had failed and successfully recovered. Thing is, it's happening every 30 minutes or so when I'm programming or so, but it NEVER happens when I am gaming. I can have 6+ gaming sessions on Skyrim, Bulletstorm or World of Warcraft, but as soon as I close them and start studying, it goes crazy. It doesn't happen while browsing with firefox, though.

I've found temporary solution: keep World of Warcraft turned on in background in windowed mode. However, it's not a permanent solution. It's draining power and getting me extra electricity bill.

I suppose it happens when my graphics card goes to low power mode (that's how I call it?) with low clock speeds.

I've read that it was suggested to people in my situation to update the GPU BIOS, but wouldn't it void the warranty?

Here's my system:

Intel Core i5 2500k - Overclocked to 4.3 GHz
Scythe Katana III
Asrock Extreme3 Gen3 motherboard
Kingston HyperX Blu 4x2GB 1600 MHz RAM
Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti, core clocked to 950 MHz (factory OC was @ 900 MHz)
Corsair Force 3 SATA3 120GB SSD
Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB Hard drive, Sata3 + 64 MB cache
Corsair CX600 Power Supply
Samsung 22x DVD burner

I've tried reverting to stock clocks, because I thought it would be an unstable overclock, but it didn't help.

I appreciate everyone who will try to help me.

Sunius

wildpluckings

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
its a shot in the dark but I also use Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti and have found it unstable, in a different respect.

Mine crashes the entire computer when running DX11 applications for over ~10minutes (Crysis 2, Battlefield 3). I can avoid this by running "msi afterburner" and underclocking the core to 822mhz. The factory overclock of 900mhz made it unstable. You may be experiencing the same problem so I would try underclocking your gpu to 822mhz with msi afterburner.

I also get very rare "nvidia display driver has stopped responding" crashes (with the popup in the bottom right). However, it happens exclusively when I am running adobe photoshop/after effects and working with special effects/filters. So I doubt it is related to your problem.

mdfitz

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Same problem. Windows 7 x 64 pc. Inside, I have a single nvidia gtx 560ti. Other components: 1000watt psu (name brand, but forget who).. q6600 oc'd to 2.8 on a evga 750i w/ 8gb 1000ghz down-clocked to 2t 4-4-4-12 @ 800mhz (gskill -4gpq - not sure exacly what sn and not opening the case atm.) My temperatures before you ask... well the highest temp in my whole unit is my Caviar black hd at 50 degrees, and I know for a fact that they are relatively accurate. So this is not a power or temp problem.

There are issues with this board and the q6600 together to begin with. I finally got a stable about a month ago.. albeit via a modest o.c. this was done w/ very little voltage increase and all memory/processor tests and benchmarks were well within the expected threshold. There has not been an issue until today. I logged following sleep mode and experienced the recovered display error.. and significant graphic disruption while using chrome and plain jane ie / control panel. .. display driver failed.. kernall etc.. . I just confirmed.. it just happened. I have restarted, reset cmos.. etc.

This is random and has not crashed my pc, but I will get corruption during regular use followed by a black screen then refresh. Only during chrome use/desktop use so far!

I have 3 other graphics cards, (not installed concurrently) 2 ati and 1 nvidia.. with clean driver install for them, (using driver sweeper) the driver error does not persist.

Ladies and gents, we can thank the 560 or nvidia's windows compatibility drivers is my conclusion. Anyone with a solution or input, please let me know.

mdfitz

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
just saw another post and seems to be working. I disables link state power mgmt via control pane. and turned off power saving features via nvidia drivers. Seems to have solved the flickering and corruption. It's only been 10 minutes though, but a great 10 minutes.

I will keep everyone posted.

mdfitz

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
well all was well. I decided to restart and bam, back to square one. above suggestion is not the answer. I'm stumped. Going to do a driver sweeper of drivers and roll back a few months to previous drivers and take it from there.

mdfitz

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Well as the same post i referenced above mentioned. I rolled back to 733.xx drivers whql and all is fine. Well it hasn't happened yet at least. I will update if anything changes.

baron21000

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013
Hi Everyone - I may (or may not ) have the solution, this certainly worked for me, I have an I7 3770k, and a Asus GTX 560 TI, which used to run everything fine until I updated the drivers to version 3 xxx (odd variants). Now I had a grands worth of useless black crashing every 3 or so minutes box, just like many have described, so I used this driver (link = https://dl.dropbox.com/u/37087312/Graphics%20NV%20Drivers.rar ), and all woes went away. Yes - in an ideal world we want to use the optimised latest version Nvidia (along with latest other system drivers), but using this, my system goes like stink (really fast without crashing), I can't help but think that Nvidia have tried to overwork the latest series of drivers, sacrificing stability along the way. Please try it, and email me at adolpho10@hotmail.com or reply here if they fix it for you too. I'm loving catching up on gaming now - here are my stats for frame rates on Bioshock Infinate - http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a208/baron210/Bio-Stats_zps696aff8e.jpg with that driver set - to be honest though, I am made up that it (my system has gained full stability) again too. Hope they work for you too. (my system spec page, if you want to customise yours, here's a sample reg edit script to run, which you can use to insert your name and specs - edit the values in notepad for what you want (highlighted in red here - http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a208/baron210/reg-editinfo1_zpsfc67d424.jpg ). Here's an example pic of mine and what you have to do, then copy the oeminfo bmp into windows/system32 - when you right click on your "my computer" icon and select properties it should look something like this - http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a208/baron210/Untitled1_zps822e25bd.jpg I work in I.T. building all types of industrial and military / medical PC's and we customise these to customer requirements. know all kinds of hacks and fixes as a result. Heres the OEM Info package in full - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/37087312/OEM%20Rar.rar just double click the reg file and as I said, copy the bmp into windows/system32 - Please d/load my little java based toy too - the Pompey Cube, give it a spin (a website re-director to highlight Portsmouth's places of interest). https://dl.dropbox.com/u/37087312/PompeyCube.rar