wjm

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2004

I picked this one up today for $19.99. So far, I like it quite a bit.
There's an interesting storyline and a mystery that will be revealed as the
game progresses. The battles are fun - part action, part strategy. Reminds
me of a collectible card game (and one of the reviews said that as well).

Anyone else pick this one up?

"WJM" <wjmuldowney@NOearthlinkSPAM.net> wrote in message

> I picked this one up today for $19.99. So far, I like it quite a
> bit. There's an interesting storyline and a mystery that will be
> revealed as the game progresses. The battles are fun - part
> action, part strategy. Reminds me of a collectible card game (and
> one of the reviews said that as well).
>
> Anyone else pick this one up?

I'm very disappointed in this one; much more of a (lame!) 3rd person
arcade shooter than an rpg. At least up to the point I've progressed
(Peccato). I just don't see what's to enjoy about entering every
fight with absolutely no useable attack or defense abilities then
fishing around for decent skill capsules while you're getting your
ass handed to you.

<sigh>

--
---Stash

"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence
of the American people." H.L. Mencken

SPAM FILTER:
You'd have to be out of YourMind to send me email.

wjm

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2004

"sgk" <sgk@YourMind.neo.rr.com> wrote in message

> "WJM" <wjmuldowney@NOearthlinkSPAM.net> wrote in message
>>
>> I picked this one up today for $19.99. So far, I like it quite a bit.
>> There's an interesting storyline and a mystery that will be revealed as
>> the game progresses. The battles are fun - part action, part strategy.
>> Reminds me of a collectible card game (and one of the reviews said that
>> as well).
>>
>> Anyone else pick this one up?
>
> I'm very disappointed in this one; much more of a (lame!) 3rd person
> arcade shooter than an rpg. At least up to the point I've progressed
> (Peccato). I just don't see what's to enjoy about entering every fight
> with absolutely no useable attack or defense abilities then fishing around
> for decent skill capsules while you're getting your ass handed to you.

I never expected an RPG...

Everything I read about this game before it was released indicated exactly
what it would be - a strategy game with 3rd person view that mimics a CCG to
a great extent. You can ultimately build "decks" (skills) that you can use
in your battles online. There are up to 300 skills you can acquire.

I'd give this one an 8, so it's good but not great.

Ant

"sgk" <sgk@YourMind.neo.rr.com> wrote in message

> "WJM" <wjmuldowney@NOearthlinkSPAM.net> wrote in message
> I'm very disappointed in this one; much more of a (lame!) 3rd person
> arcade shooter than an rpg. At least up to the point I've progressed
> (Peccato). I just don't see what's to enjoy about entering every
> fight with absolutely no useable attack or defense abilities then
> fishing around for decent skill capsules while you're getting your
> ass handed to you.

Actually, once you get past the second boss encounter, you have the ability
to bring different skill sets that you have bought over the course of
visiting the shop.

Stick with it, it becomes less frustrating later on.

Ant

Jordan

sgk wrote:

> I'm very disappointed in this one; much more of a (lame!) 3rd person
> arcade shooter than an rpg. At least up to the point I've progressed
> (Peccato).

The good news is that once you beat Peccato you gain the ability to
manage your own inventory and don't have to rely on 100% random chance.
Oh, the capsules will still pop up randomly, but from a library (called
an Arsenal) of capsules you select.

Here's how I beat Peccato:

Collect the initial batch of capsules then squeeze the right trigger to
target the top half of the beast. Then hit the left trigger to target
the bottom half.

For me it was easier to get the top half then I never had enough health
to finish off the bottom. By reversing it and taking out the bottom
first I had no trouble.

- Jordan