Customizing A Folder

In Windows '98, I was able to choose a picture to serve as the background
picture for a particular directory so that whenever I opened up that folder,
the window would have a background picture. All I had to do was choose
Customize Folder and then Select A Background Image. I can't seem to be able
to do this in XP. It doesn't make sense that this customizing feature would
be removed in later editions of Windows since one of the main reasons for new
editions is more customization. Does anyone know how to do this in XP?
Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about customizing folder

    "ye" wrote:

    > In Windows '98, I was able to choose a picture to serve as the background
    > picture for a particular directory so that whenever I opened up that folder,
    > the window would have a background picture. All I had to do was choose
    > Customize Folder and then Select A Background Image. I can't seem to be able
    > to do this in XP. It doesn't make sense that this customizing feature would
    > be removed in later editions of Windows since one of the main reasons for new
    > editions is more customization. Does anyone know how to do this in XP?
    > Thanks

    Folder Backgrounds - Customizing

    Select the folder you want to use for your background wallpaper. You MUST
    convert the folder you want to use to
    a SYSTEM folder. At the command prompt screen (Start/Run/CMD) which looks
    something like this: c:\> type this command: attrib +s c:\myfolder and then
    hit the return key.

    Copy and paste the script below into Notepad and change the line that says
    IconArea_Image to point to the directory
    and the file that you want to use for the background image.

    [ExtShellFolderViews]
    {BE098140-A513-11D0-A3A4-00C04FD706EC}={BE098140-A513-11D0-A3A4-00C04FD706EC}

    [{BE098140-A513-11D0-A3A4-00C04FD706EC}]
    Attributes=1
    IconArea_Image=C:\YOUR LOCATION\OF\ANY\IMAGE.JPG
    IconArea_Text=0x00000000

    The last line in the script tells Windows what color the font will be when
    you read the files in that folder. For instance:

    0x00000000 = black
    0x00FF0000 = blue
    0x0000FF00 = green
    0x000000FF = red
    0x00C000C0 = purple

    Now save the file you just created as desktop.ini and place it into the
    directory you just converted into a system folder.
    Now close that folder and then reopen. (From a Newsgroup post made by
    Alberich)

    Tip: If a folder uses the wrong background picture and you can't
    change it: Start/Run/Regedit and remove this key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags

    Customize Folder with IESHWIZ Utility:
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Customize_folder.htm

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

    "ye" <ye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    In Windows '98, I was able to choose a picture to serve as the background
    picture for a particular directory so that whenever I opened up that folder,
    the window would have a background picture. All I had to do was choose
    Customize Folder and then Select A Background Image. I can't seem to be
    able
    to do this in XP. It doesn't make sense that this customizing feature would
    be removed in later editions of Windows since one of the main reasons for
    new
    editions is more customization. Does anyone know how to do this in XP?
    Thanks

    Hi,

    Apart from Ramesh's expert advice, you may also want to visit the following page:

    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    This webpage also has details on how to choose a font color for the icon labels. It also shows you how to put a folder
    wallpaper manually.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message news:uXzj3eprEHA.3488@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > Customize Folder with IESHWIZ Utility:
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Customize_folder.htm
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    >

    > "ye" <ye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > In Windows '98, I was able to choose a picture to serve as the background
    > picture for a particular directory so that whenever I opened up that folder,
    > the window would have a background picture. All I had to do was choose
    > Customize Folder and then Select A Background Image. I can't seem to be
    > able
    > to do this in XP. It doesn't make sense that this customizing feature would
    > be removed in later editions of Windows since one of the main reasons for
    > new
    > editions is more customization. Does anyone know how to do this in XP?
    > Thanks

    On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 15:52:44 -0300, "Anando [MS-MVP]"
    <anando@mvps.org> wrote:
    >Hi,
    >Apart from Ramesh's expert advice, you may also want to visit the following page:
    Snip

    Why not do it the easy way with this free app?

    http://www.clonesoft.com/shellicons/index.htm

Configuration Windows 98 Customization Windows XP