Sign in with
Your question

Recommended Case for my build?

Last response: in Components
June 27, 2012 2:22:44 AM

Hey, so currently my build plan for a gaming pc is the following:
CPU: Intel i5 3570k Ivy Bridge 3.4Ghz (3.8 boost) 155 77w
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) N5606TX-Ti Twin Frozr II (has 2Gb VRAM)
Mobo: AsRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA DDR3 115
RAM: CORSAIR VENGEANCE 8Gb (2x 4Gb)
CASE: ????

Basically I am looking for suggestions for a budget high tower case, with the above specs and what I plan to buy in the future (case, cooling unit, etc.) I really want to stay as far below $1000 in the end. So what would be a decent and high valued high tower case that would have most of my needs? Thanks!

P.S. While you are at it, if you could verify that the current hardware I have chosen would work together, and would be a decent gaming platform that would be great. If you have suggestions to the current build, I am always open for them, as long as they have a justification.
Thanks guys!

More about : recommended case build

June 27, 2012 2:52:32 AM

chrispero said:
Hey, so currently my build plan for a gaming pc is the following:
CPU: Intel i5 3570k Ivy Bridge 3.4Ghz (3.8 boost) 155 77w
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) N5606TX-Ti Twin Frozr II (has 2Gb VRAM)
Mobo: AsRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA DDR3 115
RAM: CORSAIR VENGEANCE 8Gb (2x 4Gb)
CASE: ????

Basically I am looking for suggestions for a budget high tower case, with the above specs and what I plan to buy in the future (case, cooling unit, etc.) I really want to stay as far below $1000 in the end. So what would be a decent and high valued high tower case that would have most of my needs? Thanks!

P.S. While you are at it, if you could verify that the current hardware I have chosen would work together, and would be a decent gaming platform that would be great. If you have suggestions to the current build, I am always open for them, as long as they have a justification.
Thanks guys!

One trick i Learned when building was asking myself the question 'why?' alot. so why do you need the Ivy bridge? why do you need the z77 chipset? (not discouraging just trying to understand your drive before i make recomendations, and remember the answer 'because i can' is a very good answer :) ) Also what psu are you looking into? that can eliminate some cases depending on the size.

I own the nzxt switch 810 and i have also owned the CM elite 430. both are great cases the NZXT is great for people that need space in there case for water cooling and air flow has the ability for 8 fans with a normal PSU size and the 3 fans on top have their own bay to keep them out of the 'hardware area'. also there is cable management behind the mobo tray but if you have thick psu cables/ spare cables, it can be hard to shut the door.

The CM is small and compact but had enough room for the hardware in my sig. my only issue was after i moved it couldn't move enough air through it to keep the temps low, and on the down side there is little to no cable management.

Oh and on the topic of your PSU if you are decided on one yet. look into the ones with the removable rails so you can take them out if you dont need them. Im wishing i did before i bought my antec 900(great psu btw)
June 27, 2012 2:53:55 AM

btw the elite is $30 on new egg right now
Related resources
June 27, 2012 3:05:40 AM

So as you can probably assume from my newcomer status on this site, I am new to building computers myself. The idea is very intriguing and sounds fun, so I am quickly learning lots of information on what the right products are.

WHY do i need the Ivy Bridge? Of course I don't need it, and from what I've read I could get away easily with an i5 2500k Sandy with very similar performance (especially in OC). The Z77 chipset is what I have read as being a new age chipset that is compatible with the listed i5 processor. It also has the DDR3 RAM holder things (lol) which I assumed work with the CORSAIR Vengeance DDR3 drives. As far as all this hardware I am hoping works together, I would really like to know if it does, and if I can expect good performance for games like Bf3, Gw2.

As far as a PSU, I have not even really delved into the subject. I am completely open to what wattage of PSU is the most practical, and what size that entails etc...

As far as the cases go, is 150+ for decent high tower case cheap? I thought it would be pretty easy to get a $100 high tower case but it looks like thats not the case. I have been reading also that I ned really good airflow for a gaming pc, and so that of course can be added to the case specifications.

I appreciate all the help tougas and look forward to the reply
June 27, 2012 3:23:29 AM

Ill get back to you with specifics on the functionality of the parts tomorrow. But yes cases can be a daunting choice. It took me longer to pick a case than the hardware and even then 6 months later I bought a new case. I ended up paying around $150 for the switch 810. If you give me some kind of description for looks I might be able to help. I know you want a full tower case but do you want a window panel, mesh panel, flat panel? Does color matter? Accent colors? Does the inside color matter to you? How many drive bays do you need? 5.25 bay? 3.5 bay? Required front I/O headers? How many HDD will you have?

I'm sure ill think of more. Don't worry about answering all of them but they are questions to ask yourself to save time energy and the unrenewable resource of $$$$$
June 27, 2012 3:35:34 AM

I appreciate the parts help first of all. Also yes it does seem case choice is a widely discussed piece of hardware.
Answers to the Questions:
1. Basic Description: Frankly it does not really matter how it looks, I do like the more sleek looking cases, but durability still is a factor I would like.
2. I would be fine with a window panel or mesh or flat panel, honestly I could do without any of them if it saves me more than $15-$20. (Also, is a flat panel just a normal plate without a window or mesh?) In addition: I would think that Mesh would be the best bet seeing as how it has a great airflow but is also see-through.
3. Color does not matter whatsoever, I am as fine with a black case as I am with a white case. Though, sticking to basic colors seems a good idea. Black seems cheapest and looks good.
4. Inside Color does not matter whatsoever.
5. Accent Colors, dont matter.
6. I have no idea how many drive bays I need. I assume I need at least 1 5.25 in bay for an optical drive, and then at least 1 3.5 for a hard drive. I would like to have more 3.5 bays to be "future proof", though it seems the vast majority of cases have multiple 3.5 bays. If you could explain why people sometimes need more than that it would be great because I am at a loss (in terms of the 5.25 bays).
7. I dont know what front I/O headers means :( 
8. I don't know how many HDD I will have, nor how many gigs of HD i want.

Thanks again!
June 27, 2012 3:50:30 AM

The 3.5 bays on the front of the case are usually used for floppy drives, card reader, fan controllers, and hot swapping drives. While hard drives are 3.5 when people say bay they are referring to the front side of the case 90% of the time. When people say I/O it stands for input/output. This refers to the funntionality of the ports on that panel. The part of the motherboard that has the audio ports and the USB ports is a I/O panel. Also ports and headers generally are the same thing. So the front I/O headers are the front ports on the case usually audio and a couple of USB 2.0 but they have USB 3.0 and fire wire which is for fast data transfer on an external HDD (IMO useless).

But just to offer a suggestion without really looking check out the cooler master storm troop and the cooler master haf series on there website and tell me what you think.

Also do you mind having a door on the front for a smooth apearence or do you not mind seeing the bays?
June 27, 2012 4:03:05 AM

Well first off that storm trooper looks awesome, and is below 150 which is GREAT. Im just wondering how well of air flow they will get to cool everything. Front I/O ports seems like a very helpful thing so I guess yes I would like that (however (as usual) I can always function just as well without all the extra USB 3.0 and stuff like that, it is just not as easy (obviously)).

Assuming the storm trooper is "seeing the bays", I am perfectly fine with that, in fact it almost looks more rugged. I also assume having the bays open like that might provide better airflow. The side mesh panel on that storm trooper is also great. I have really realized that having an open window to see the insides other than the fan is not a goal of mine whatsoever.

Seeing as how the storm trooper seems like a super option, I am really looking forward to what else you might conjure up. If it all comes down to it, and it appears to you that the storm trooper might be a great case for me, I would really appreciate your personal thought on the case, both externally and internally. In general though, that is one sexy case from what I've seen overall. AND a carrying handle? ZOMG

Thanks again, I really do appreciate this.

June 27, 2012 4:07:18 AM

Also, in the beginning of this discussion I mentioned solely high/full tower cases. I am not opposed to mid tower cases, though I have been hearing that they don't provide good airflow, and are harder to keep upgrading as technology increases due to their size etc. However, if you can argue why a mid tower might be better I am all for it.

Just putting it out there
June 27, 2012 4:09:55 AM

The only pros I can think of is mid towers take less space and there are alot more choices. So mid towers seem the way to go if you care more about looks or if you require a small form factor
June 27, 2012 4:11:18 AM

Ok then yeah go ahead and cancel out any mid tower choices haha
June 27, 2012 4:14:40 AM

I've always had mid towers until this case and it made me regret never buying one. Ill be back on tomorrow to continue helping.
a c 122 ) Power supply
June 27, 2012 4:18:19 AM

Case:COOLER MASTER Storm Sniper SGC-6000-KXN1-GP Black Steel, ABS Plastic, Mesh bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case:Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Unbeatable Gaming Case

Case:Thermaltake Chaser MK-I (VN300M1W2N) Black SECC ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Case:COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0, Black Interior and Four Fans-1x 230mm front RED LED fan, 1x 140mm rear fan, 1x 230mm top fan, and 1x 230mm side fan

Case:COOLER MASTER CM Storm Series Trooper (SGC-5000-KKN1) Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Case:NZXT SWITCH 810 Matte Black CA-SW810-M1 Steel / Plastic ATX HYBIRD Full Tower Gaming Computer Case

Case:NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Case:COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Case:Antec DF-85 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
June 27, 2012 1:48:59 PM

wow bigcyco, these are all great cases for my build (I think) and I am especially looking at the Storm trooper, the Antec DF-85 and the Cooler Master HAF 932. Do you have any recommendation for any of these three and why?

Thanks.

Also, since this is a both a case and power supply area, I was wondering if you or anyone reading this could help me out in choosing a Power Supply. I have no idea what wattage I would need for gaming, or for my planned hardware listed in the first post on this discussion. As always, any other advice for building computers is appreciated.

June 27, 2012 3:01:18 PM

Heres a breakdown of the Storm Trooper case. My remarks in red

Model Brand
COOLER MASTER
Series
CM Storm Series
Model
Trooper (SGC-5000-KKN1)

Spec
Type: ATX Full TowerLots of space
Color: Blackcolor fits every enviroment
Case Material: Steel / Plasticcase is sturdy and it is intended to be a 'lan party' style case to take with you
Power Supply Mounted: Bottom PSU is bottom mounted you dont have to worry about the weight of the PSU
Motherboard Compatibility: Micro-ATX, ATX, XL-ATX Fits the standard MB size as well as the XL so your hardware isnt bottle-necked at your case.
With Side Panel Window: No Has vents which is great for cooling, window panels are more for people that lean towards water cooling because no one likes fans in the way of their work. and with the way GPU's are today they can get very warm so a fan on the side of the case to help the onboard fans to displace air is great

Expansion
External 5.25" Drive Bays: 9 you have the ability to have 9 5.25" devices. Thats alot
Internal 3.5" Drive Bays: 8 (converted from 5.25" bay by two 4-in 3 HDD modules)
Internal 2.5" Drive Bays : 13 (converted from 5.25” bay by two 4-in 3 HDD modules)This means that 8 of the 9 5.25 bays can be made into 3.5 bays
Expansion Slots: 9+1 These are the slots where the headers/ports of your video card and after market audio or any PCI card you install will be.

Front Ports: USB 3.0 x 2 (internal), USB 2.0 x 2, e-SATA x 1, Audio In and Out ( Supports HD audio)You have USB 3.0 capability, USB 2.0 and an esata along with audio.

Cooling System
80mm Fans: No
120mm Fans: 2 x 120 mm LED Front Fan, 1200 RPM, 17 dBA, 2 x 120 mm Side Fan (optional), 2 x 120 mm Bottom Fan (optional)
140mm Fans: 1 x 140 mm Rear Fan, 1200 RPM, 19 dBA (converted to 120 mm fan)
200mm Fans: 1 x 200 mm Top Fan, 1000 RPM, 23 dBA (converted to 2 x 120 / 140 mm fan)Big fan! moves lots of air. heard it could be a bit noisy though

Physical Spec
Dimensions
23.8" x 9.8" x 22.8"
Weight
31.7 lbs

Features
The first full tower chassis with two 90 degrees rotatable 4-in-3 HDD modules

The first with an easy-to-carry handle, and hidden tool box for storing private goods

Easily removable dust filters on intakes Huge feature. makes cleaning easy

A built in fan controller for cool or quiet operationgreat for when you leave you pc on at night and dont want it loud and it even allows you to manually monitor temps and adjust as necessary

Supports up to 14 hard-drives for future upgrades Thats alot of hard drive bays but im sure you could find uses for them

Convenient external 2.5” HDD/SSD X-dock great if you want to use SSD on the go. for example you could store games on an ssd and put it in this port and itll allow you to play the games with low load times. then if you want to play it on another pc you can just pop it out and walk it over to the other one. seems over kill to me but some people love this feature

Supports high-end hardware, includes XL-ATX board, multiple GPUs in SLI or Crossfire
June 27, 2012 3:25:08 PM

Seems like a pretty great case, so as of now I'll add this to my list.

I suppose I'll start a new thread about my PSU so I can get that worked out relatively cheaply. It looks like I'll have to spend about $90 on a PSU which would take me to $910 total only missing an optical drive, hard drive, and aftermarket cpu cooler... (I could be forgetting something important). Looks like I cannot stay under $1000 :( 

Any suggestions?

June 27, 2012 3:28:56 PM

i Still have my stock cooler on my cpu and it works fine. I only have 500GB got it for like $40 and as for an optical drive you can get them for $25 as long as you dont by the crazy high tech bluray stuff. a basic cd rw can be bought from best buy for less than $30. ill look into PSUs on my lunch break
June 27, 2012 3:58:11 PM

tougas you have no idea how helpful some of the information you are giving is for a newbie. Sometimes I get so blinded by elitest reviews that say I MUST have an after-market cooler that I assume everyone has them. It looks like I will not be getting an after market cooler especially with a case that seems to have a pretty viable cooling sytem already. Also I am not running cryis or gtaIV

As far as an optical drive, yeah I have seen them in best buy before for around $25, and do you think 500Gb is enough for a gaming pc that may still be used to do basic college level functions (surfing the web/ msoffice)? Are there any recommended manuacturers that make reliable hard drives or manufacturers I should stay away from?

Thanks again, enjoy your lunch, im off on lunch break as I finish typing this.
June 27, 2012 4:24:08 PM

My PC is for gaming. Design. College. And my 500gb is fine for now. Granted I use an external for movies and music. And I'm not saying don't buy an after market cooler I'm just saying you don't need one right now. Use what you got as a benchmark to base the rest of you build off of so you can prioritize you purchases
June 27, 2012 5:59:19 PM

Heres a PSU that has the removable rails like i mentioned before. I know the price is out of your range and the 850w is probably more than you need but this is just an example

heres one that should do the trick for you. its advertised as 119.00 but 20 off instantly. then a $15
promo code that expires tomorrow. and on top of that a $25 MIR so your looking at about 60 off so $60 for the PSU
a b ) Power supply
June 27, 2012 6:36:28 PM

For a budget case, you can opt for the Corsair 400r

The Rosewill Challenger for $50 has a great cost/benefit ratio

As for the PSU, the SeaSonic M12II 520W, Its a high quality unit, fairly cheap, is modular & would be sufficient for your rig.

For a cooler, If your ambient temps are not high(30c), then a CM Hyper 212 Evo could help you achieve a 4ghz OC pretty easily.
June 27, 2012 8:21:13 PM

Tougas, what do you think of the SeaSonic M12II 520W that bartholomew listed above? Also can you verify that 520W is enough for my rig?
June 28, 2012 1:37:20 AM

as he said it would be sufficient but in my honest opinion with the way technology is moving and if you want to move with it into the sli realm or the water cooling area you will probably need more wattage however for now it should be plenty.
June 28, 2012 1:59:30 AM

honestly if i were him id go to around 750 to 800 and that should handle any basic upgrades he could do and even allow him to sli
a c 122 ) Power supply
June 28, 2012 2:04:20 AM

oh if he is going to do sli then yeah 700watt would be the way to go i agree
a c 122 ) Power supply
June 28, 2012 2:06:06 AM

For a system using two GeForce GTX 560 Ti graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 700 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 44 Amps or greater and that has at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

June 28, 2012 2:17:37 AM

yea im trying to prevent him from having to buy a new psu down the road if he decides to upgrade. otherwise he spends $54.99 now then $99.99 later to upgrade the psu. if it were me id just pay the later now and save the prior
a c 122 ) Power supply
June 28, 2012 2:20:13 AM

tougas said:
yea im trying to prevent him from having to buy a new psu down the road if he decides to upgrade. otherwise he spends $54.99 now then $99.99 later to upgrade the psu. if it were me id just pay the later now and save the prior
Makes sense to me :) 
June 28, 2012 2:22:36 AM

yea and im not trying argue with anyone in this thread i just like discussing things throughout in order to answer any unasked questions
June 28, 2012 2:26:37 AM

All this advice is awesome.
I have another discussion going on in the new builds category of this forum, and I am currently discussing GPUs with several users.

Most have said that I should shovel the money towards a GTX 670 and get the best thats out there as opposed to something like the 560ti, which would allow me to have really high fps on ultra settings. I still don't know if I agree with this completely, but the idea is becoming more and more intriguing.

What do you guys think? You can also comment on the other discussion if you'd like to talk with the other users etc.

Thanks again! I will probably get a higher powered PSU if it means I can save money in the future, although I think a lot of people on this forum assume I need the best, when really I just want to be able to run BF3, GW2, future MMOs and shooters with decent quality with great FPS. I don't necessarily need ultra settings with great FPS. I am a big gamer, but not a HUGE gamer. Engineering requires me to not have enough time haha...

a c 122 ) Power supply
June 28, 2012 2:33:29 AM
June 28, 2012 2:35:36 AM

i have the asus 560 ti and i run every game i have on max. Total war series, order of war, star wars the old republic, skyrim and they run flawlessly. while im interested in upgrading the 560 to a 600 series i also know people on here that swear by there 560's in sli. and mind you i have 2 monitors and one is a 32" tv and the other is a 23" 1080p monitor and the card handles both resolutions greatly.
June 28, 2012 2:37:23 AM

Do all PSUs fit in all Mid tower cases? It looks like I might be researching some mid-tower cases as well, as I ahve gotten many recommendations for using them.

In general, I really don't need a GTX670 for my situation do I? Goasgha all these freaking decisions. I guess this is what makes finally building it very fun because you've put in the work...
a c 122 ) Power supply
June 28, 2012 2:38:07 AM

chrispero said:
All this advice is awesome.
I have another discussion going on in the new builds category of this forum, and I am currently discussing GPUs with several users.

Most have said that I should shovel the money towards a GTX 670 and get the best thats out there as opposed to something like the 560ti, which would allow me to have really high fps on ultra settings. I still don't know if I agree with this completely, but the idea is becoming more and more intriguing.

What do you guys think? You can also comment on the other discussion if you'd like to talk with the other users etc.

Thanks again! I will probably get a higher powered PSU if it means I can save money in the future, although I think a lot of people on this forum assume I need the best, when really I just want to be able to run BF3, GW2, future MMOs and shooters with decent quality with great FPS. I don't necessarily need ultra settings with great FPS. I am a big gamer, but not a HUGE gamer. Engineering requires me to not have enough time haha...
I agree the 670 is a awesome card and imo best of the best right now but for your needs a 7850 would do just fine ;) 
June 28, 2012 2:40:48 AM

the work makes it rewarding and addicting. just keep it a hobby and not a money pit :)  . but no you dont and video cards are constantly getting better. and no not all psus are the same size but they all should and i stress should, fit in a mid tower my antec 900 fit in my mid tower but it was very cumbersome in that mid tower but it is an oversized psu
June 28, 2012 2:41:26 AM

bigcyco1 said:
I agree the 670 is a awesome card and imo best of the best right now but for your needs a 7850 would do just fine ;) 

EWWWWWWWWWW radeon :non: 
a c 122 ) Power supply
June 28, 2012 2:43:30 AM

tougas said:
EWWWWWWWWWW radeon :non: 
:lol: 
June 28, 2012 2:45:14 AM

you can get the asus 560 ti for 200 now and its OC'd out of the box
a c 122 ) Power supply
June 28, 2012 2:49:10 AM

The 570 i linked is a kick ass card i have x2 GTX Twin Frozr II GeForce GTX 570 in SLI i can violently murder any single card there is today lol
June 28, 2012 2:51:01 AM

Duh thats what I listed in the beginning bigcyco, I have read numerous reviews on how that particular 560ti outperforms the rest and is very reliable.

Soooo I hate to ask the same question again in a different extension, but what are some good mid tower cases in the 50-70 dollar range?

Also, i5 2500k vs. i5 3570k, for some reason many people recommend the 2500k even though it slightly does not perform as well (excuse my post work grammar)

Thanks again!
a c 122 ) Power supply
June 28, 2012 2:51:42 AM

tougas said:
you can get the asus 560 ti for 200 now and its OC'd out of the box
that's a good deal as well i use to have a Asus 560 TI they are awesome! :D 
June 28, 2012 2:53:18 AM

i liked the cm elite 430. its like $30 lol. good cheap case if your looking for a step stool. and as for the cpu's. im not sure
June 28, 2012 2:55:01 AM

bigcyco1 said:
that's a good deal as well i use to have a Asus 560 TI they are awesome! :D 

its what i got now. the only problem i had with it is its a micro hdmi not a normal so you need a heavy converter for a normal cable.
!