Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Which video cards have sound thru HDMI?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 8, 2012 10:05:12 PM

Hi, I am looking for a video card that I can hook up to my lcd hdtv. I only want to use an HDMI cable for the video and sound so I need a video card that has sound thru the HDMI output. The problem is that I cannot even begin to compare video cards and pricing because no one will list the spec on the retailers web sites. I cannot even find a spec that applies to this. It's like in the specs you find stuff like:
HDCP Ready: yes
Directx: Directx 11
etc
etc
but no spec for sound thru HDMI
But what is the spec even called for a card that allows sound thru HDMI????
Why does anyone refuse to even list this information since all the posts I see all over the internet, people are asking which cards have this but there seems to be no real answer. I'm not going to just buy something and hope for the best. The best advice I have found are comments like "any recent cards that are 2 or 3 years and newer" or " ATI and AMD cards and more recent Nvidia cards". That is hardly a definitive answer. I find this very frustrating that a company does not list this information in their specs and so I have been looking for a video card for 2 weeks and am just going in circles??
Does anyone know how to determine if a video card has sound thru the HDMI output?? I may also consider doing a little bit of gaming but certainly nowhere near hard core gaming. I know the HD5450 is a great HTPC card but I wouldn't mind at least just a little bit more gaming power.
Thanks,
JKRabbit

Biostar A880G+
phenom ii x3 700e
8 gb ram
650 watt p/s
Win 7 64bit
onboard video (until I find a card)

More about : video cards sound hdmi

January 8, 2012 10:21:08 PM

Your onboard video with send audio through hdmi. Any 6xxx amd card will have full sound through hdmi.
Score
a c 109 U Graphics card
January 8, 2012 11:14:08 PM

A radeon 5450 or 6450 will be plenty.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a c 253 U Graphics card
January 9, 2012 12:04:11 AM

ZOTAC ZT-95TEK2M-FSL GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
$54.99 and a $20 rebate makes it $34.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This card actually has a spdif in connector on the card if you want to plug in a spdif cable from the card to the motherboard.
January 15, 2012 11:03:49 PM

Best answer selected by JKRabbit.
Score
!