sreaction

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
BUDGET RANGE: ~160 maybe more…depends.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Usually single player RPG games: TW2, Mount and Blade Warband, mmorpg if the ever make a good one…school, internet browsing plus the occasional web browser game.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY:
250 gts 512 memory ( I know… anything will be an upgrade)
Antec 480 TPII (x2 18 amp 12v rail/s)
OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
Phenom II x4 945,
2 GB DDR2 1066 (pc2-8500 c5)
Asrock k10n78
Xp sp3

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: NE, Frys, maybe Tiger Direct

PARTS PREFERENCES: Good experience with MSI, EVGA

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe thru software

MONITOR RESOLUTION: less than 1920x1080 but planning to upgrade to = or > 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: As is stands I can play TW2 at low settings, but even then I get some lag. I want to upgrade so I can play future games similar to TW2. A new monitor is my next upgrade at the aforementioned resolution.

Im looking at the 460 GTX. I think NV is fazing them out and there are some good prices at Newegg and elsewhere.

The price range I am looking at is ~ 160 could be persuaded to spend more. I'm thinking the most bang for my buck/budget conscious.

The most graphic intensive game I have is TW2. I don't play fps games nor do I use any graphic intensive programs other than gaming.

The problem is there are several different types.

PNY mem. interface 265 bits
GIGABYTE mem. interface 192 bit
EVGAmemory interface 192 bits

The prices range from 129 to 149. The only difference between the three are clock speeds and mem. interface with the PNY having the largest, 256.

Question: is there that much a difference in 256 bit vs 192 bit?

Also, I have an Antec 480 tpII with two 12v rails @ 18a a piece total of 36 12v amps? The PNY min specs for power supply states that it needs 38 12v amps. Would I have a problem running that card?

I am leaning toward the PNY card since its mem interface is larger, but Id hate to have to upgrade my PSU. Everything else seems to be equal except price, core clock speed, memory clock, and shader clock.