Solved

New budget gaming build $500-700

Hi All,

Just wanted to get your thoughts on this build. Also, not sure what type of motherboard I should be going with, any suggestions? Note I am purchasing parts from a local store here called Memory Express. They price match places such as Tiger Direct, and it's obviously a lot more convenient to buy locally. They don't have as good of a selection though.

Here we go,...

Approximate Purchase Date: this week

Budget Range: $500-700 After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, home theater, standard usage (internet, office, maybe some light CAD)

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Memory Express ( http://www.memoryexpress.com ) *Note they price match*

Country: Canada

Parts Preferences: intel CPU

Overclocking: No / Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No / Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050, 1920x1080, 1920x1200 - 21.5"

Additional Comments: n/a


My build:

Cooler Master HAF 912
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX35637

Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX30935

Samsung DVD-R
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX35753

Western Digital 500gb 7200 rpm http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX32264

Vengeance 4GB DDR3 1600MHz
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX31389

Antec EarthWatts Green 500W Power Supply
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX28518

Intel i3 2120
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX32498

Motherboard? Not sure, suggestions?

Would something like this ( http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX32903 ) be alright, or should i be stepping up to something like ( http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX35957 )

Price before price matching & rebates is about $670 including $100 for a motherboard. Not against going up in price a bit if you guys think it might be worth it.

Thanks in advance for your input & suggestions!!!
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about budget gaming build
  1. Yea, I've actually been using a great website called http://www.shopbot.ca which is a price comparison website.
  2. dude both those boards are horrible!

    how about this:
    ASUS P8H67-V (REV 3.0) $109.99
    www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131783
    new egg.ca

    i have one and love it!
  3. Anonymous said:
    dude both those boards are horrible!

    how about this:
    ASUS P8H67-V (REV 3.0) $109.99
    www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131783
    new egg.ca

    i have one and love it!


    That's way to much for a h67. All of the cheaper asus motherboards are 16x/4x .
  4. I would either go for a 6870 or at least a motherboard that supports proper crossfire.
  5. Quote:
    That's way to much for a h67.


    yeah right sure.

    Radeon HD 6870 1GB $179.99
    $149.99 After Rebate
    http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX35329
  6. @ivan1984
    I'd prefer to purchase from Memory Express, as they price match and they are local here in my home town.

    @looniam
    Good to know about the boards being horrible. As for ASUS P8H67-V, Memory Express doesn't carry that board. Want to purchase all the components from Memory Express (unless they don't have a good quality budget motherboard)

    Thanks for the replies!
  7. damntinnitus said:
    @ivan1984
    I'd prefer to purchase from Memory Express, as they price match and they are local here in my home town.

    @looniam
    Good to know about the boards being horrible. As for ASUS P8H67-V, Memory Express doesn't carry that board. Want to purchase all the components from Memory Express (unless they don't have a good quality budget motherboard)

    Thanks for the replies!


    i looked at memory express and really non of their boards looked very exciting. any chance to go to newegg for that instead?
  8. Oh good catch on the HD 6870, same price as the 6850. Thanks :)
  9. Yea if the boards aren't very good @ Memory Express in the $70 - 130, I'm not opposed to going somewhere else for that. Heard lots of people on here talking about the ASRock Z68 EXTREME3 GEN3. They have it at DirectCanada.com for $135 incl. shipping. Is that overkill for this build?
  10. If none of you mind could you please go to the post below this one. I need help with my first pc build!
  11. Best answer
    damntinnitus said:
    Yea if the boards aren't very good @ Memory Express in the $70 - 130, I'm not opposed to going somewhere else for that. Heard lots of people on here talking about the ASRock Z68 EXTREME3 GEN3. They have it at DirectCanada.com for $135 incl. shipping. Is that overkill for this build?


    not at all, that is a most excellent board; quite a few around here rave about those.

    you'll be set with any type of upgrading until after haswell later next year.
  12. Best answer selected by damntinnitus.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems