Sign in with
Your question

Asus/Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti- Major problem!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 8, 2012 10:50:19 PM

I've recently had to upgrade my 3-year-old tower, as the old girl seems to be showing her age a little when running more modern games. Turning Skyrim up to anything above 'low' causes a hell of a lot of problems for my current card, a GeForce HD3870X2. So, a few weeks ago, I bought a card from Nvidia, and a power supply to go with it. (Dell supplied a 425 watt PSU, I needed at least 550.)

Now, here's the problem: After putting the PSU in, starting it up with the Radeon, everything works perfectly. If I put the Nvidia in, though, I get absolutely nothing on the monitor. The machine starts up fine, doesn't display error messages, but the monitor just remains on power save. There's a definite connection between the GPU and the monitor, because if I unplug anything it goes into auto-detect/debug mode, but aside from that little connection, I get absolutely nothing through the monitor. I've tried flashing the BIOS, upgrading to the latest BIOS driver, disabling and enabling CERR, everything I can think of, but so far nothing's happening.

Any ideas as to what's going wrong?

System specs:
Dell XPS420-
4x1GB DDR3 RAM
Intel core 2 Quad (2.4GHz)
780Watt PSU (as stated earlier)
Motherboard model, unfortunately, I have no idea about.
a c 109 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 8, 2012 11:13:13 PM

Your power supply does not have enough amperage to power the card?
January 8, 2012 11:16:38 PM

Nope, I upgraded from a 425 to a 780 watt, it's more than enough.
Related resources
a c 109 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 8, 2012 11:36:54 PM

No, amps on 12v rail. Your power supply could have 2000w but not have enough to power the cards.
January 9, 2012 2:05:02 PM

Oh, sorry. I have a terrible habit of not reading posts properly. And, unfortunately, that's the problem. I've just checked, and it needs 38 amps to run, whereas I can only provide 18 amps per 6-pin.
Seems like I'll be shelling out an extra few quid to buy a different power supply, then, unless there's some sort of mystical hotfix. Thanks for your help, and it's somewhat of a relief to know I won't need to return the card.
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 9, 2012 3:16:16 PM

I'd suggest Corsair CX500 for that graphics card.
January 9, 2012 3:17:44 PM

I've had a HD 4850 that worked well for years, then just started causing the computer not to POST 3 out of 4 times. Same power supply and everything. I added a 2nd 4850 in CrossfireX and they boot and overclock fine so no PSU issues there. So perhaps the power components on the card are failing and not the PSU of the computer. I also thought it may be some glitch or PCI express issue. Will never ever know but glad I didn't waste time on it. Just my 2 cents.
January 9, 2012 9:43:53 PM

my asus 560ti just did something similar the other day. Was playing skyrim, fan speed hits 100% out of nowhere despite nice temps, card dies within a minute of that happening.

Despite the lights on the card being active, i could not for the life of me get the card working. Had to RMA it. So unlucky for me. I am in Australia, anyone have any idea how long it takes to get a warranty from Asus? i need to play skryrim im not joking i got the shakes here
January 10, 2012 5:18:29 AM

Well, I'm going to see if I can send the three-day-old PSU back to Maplin, and buy one of the Corsair 600's. Probably not the builder series though, seeing as there seem to be reports of it failing within the first month or so. Perhaps the GS600, then.
a c 109 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 10, 2012 6:19:32 AM

jrazor247 said:
I've had a HD 4850 that worked well for years, then just started causing the computer not to POST 3 out of 4 times. Same power supply and everything. I added a 2nd 4850 in CrossfireX and they boot and overclock fine so no PSU issues there. So perhaps the power components on the card are failing and not the PSU of the computer. I also thought it may be some glitch or PCI express issue. Will never ever know but glad I didn't waste time on it. Just my 2 cents.

The problem here is his power supply doesn't have enough juice to power the card!
January 23, 2012 2:38:39 PM

Well, I've just installed an OCZ modular supply (did check to see if the amperage was good enough this time, and it most definitely is. Wattage, too.) And... nothing. Same problem as last time. Beginning to think the graphics card was the trickster all along, so unless anyone else can offer suggestions I'm either going to send it back and get it replaced, or drop kick it through a window.
!