First Server Build I NEED help badly, $4700 Budget

lourendo

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
So i am building a 3d workstation and i really need your opinion.
what is the best processor for this specific application.
I do not have much experience using servers so i dont know what is more valuable for 3d rendering, video editing and, photo editing, NO Gaming.
Cores or speed, Intel vs AMD?
what do you think? even though the intels operate faster, I think more cores might be better and i might go the opteron route.
what is better for the intended application?

2 X AMD Opteron Sixteen-Core Processor Model 6282 SE 2.6GHz Socket G34 = $2000 32 cores
mobo = 400$
=$2400

2 X Intel Xeon E5-2640 Sandy Bridge-EP 2.5GHz (3GHz Turbo Boost) 15MB L3 Cache LGA 2011 95W Six-Core Server Processor =1800$ 12 cores
mobo = 600$
= $2400

2 X Intel Xeon E5-1660 Sandy Bridge-EP 3.3GHz (3.9GHz Turbo Boost) 6 x 256KB L2 Cache 15MB L3 Cache LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Server Processor =$2100 12 cores
mobo = 600$
= $2700

so which route do i choose?

Thank You so much for your time and input.

Best answer will be awarded.

Solution
You sure have made it difficult to chose between which one to go with but personally I would be very happy with Intel (Greedtell) as it offers much more power per clock and per core than amd.

Go with the second system as it supports more ram as it supports dual socket boards. The third only supports half as much and isn't smp but does run at higher clocks.

Go with the second rig!
You sure have made it difficult to chose between which one to go with but personally I would be very happy with Intel (Greedtell) as it offers much more power per clock and per core than amd.

Go with the second system as it supports more ram as it supports dual socket boards. The third only supports half as much and isn't smp but does run at higher clocks.

Go with the second rig!

Solution