Just Upgraded My Motherboard and CPU, Now it keeps on crashing?

Penley54

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
I upgraded my Motherboard and CPU a couple of hours ago. I reinstalled Windows on my previously used Samsung 830 128GB (I formatted and deleted it before) and sometimes when I just turn on My Computer it makes a Post Beep (one beep) and then restarts itself and other times it boots in to Windows and just randomly freezes and then I have to manually shut it off and turn it back on. I set my SSD to AHCI mode and I am positive I plugged in everything right. Should I try reinstalling windows again? Maybe this time to My HDD? I dont know if when I formatted and deleted my SSD before installing Windows it messed something up? I just spent almost $300 so I'm a little disappointed. Any ideas on what the problem could be? Also I noticed that on the upper right lower left corner there are no screw wholes to where there was standoffs and there was one whole for a screw in the middle but I didnt have a stand off below it so I just left it, dont know if that has to do with anything just thought I would throw that in there. Also my specs are in my signature. Please Help me figure out the problem, I will greatly appreciate it.

Solution
Remove out the RAM sticks, clean it gently and put it back in. It wud also help if u stress the RAM using memtest, to see if any of the sticks are defective :)
Also make sure that all the cables are properly inserted and plugged in , and that they are not loose :)

If it still gets stuck , only then try reinstalling and the other suggestions mentioned above :)

Penley54

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011

Sorry for being confusing, just worried.. What I did was take out my other Motherboard and Installed my New one as well as the new CPU. After that, I formatted and deleted my SSD and installed Windows on it. What is happening, is when I boot up my Computer and Boot in to Windows, I can play around in it for a little while. Sometimes it freezes up in a matter of a minute and others around 5-20, it varies. I was also in the BIOS and it froze. When it freezes, I just hold the Power Button and then turn it on again. Should I format my SSD again and reinstall Windows back to the SSD? Or to the HDD? Also thanks for the reply, I dont know what I would do with out this site.

Penley54

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011

Thanks, I will try tomorrow when I have more time just thought I would get some opinions/suggestions before I go to bed. I will let you know what happens tomorrow. Thanks again.

Penley54

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011

As in 3GB/s? I have not tried it on a 3GB/s SATA port but on my last Motherboard/CPU, I was on a 6GB/s SATA Port and it ran fine. I will try it on a 3GB/s Slot tomorrow just to see if it works.

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Remove out the RAM sticks, clean it gently and put it back in. It wud also help if u stress the RAM using memtest, to see if any of the sticks are defective :)
Also make sure that all the cables are properly inserted and plugged in , and that they are not loose :)

If it still gets stuck , only then try reinstalling and the other suggestions mentioned above :)

Solution

Penley54

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
I Reinstalled Windows last night and even during the Installation it got stuck twice and I had to restart it both times, although I eventually got it to Install and for about 30-45 Minutes it hasn't froze. I even ran Arma II Operation Arrowhead for a good 10 Minutes and it ran flawlessly. I will be Downloading GTA IV and that will take me about an hour and a half to Install so I will see if My Computer freezes while I'm Downloading it. Thanks to all the replies, I will let you guys know how it goes.

Penley54

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Okay, I just Downloaded BF3 and Played 2 Games of Conquest without My Computer Freezing but I didn't get to try GTA IV but I think BF3 is more of a Stress for my CPU so for now, I think it is fixed. Thanks again for all of the help, I will let you guys know if anything else happens.

popatim

Titan
You have standoffs under the board and no matching screw hole above it. Get the motherbd out of the case. This is not right. I'd bet one or more standoffs are shorting the motherbd and I hope its not permanently damaged.

What case and motherboard ae you using?

Penley54

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011

I must of been a bit to confusing. There is one whole in the Motherboard that does not have a standoff below it. Here is the Motherboard -- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128547&Tpk=GA-Z77-%20DS3H -- and here is my Case -- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147153