Sign in with
Your question

AMD A8-3870k BE or Phenom II X4 945?

Last response: in CPUs
June 27, 2012 6:16:13 AM

i'm building a new PC but i am on a fairly strict budget unfortunately

i'm looking for a Quad-Core CPU, i would go for a Phenom II 955 or higher, but i cannot find one wherever i look, (that doesn't have $20+ shipping, in Australia by the way)

so i've narrowed it down to these two (i was thinking of an fx-series CPU but in reviews they don't come up that great :??:  )

i'm not planning on upgrading the CPU, but if i get the A8 i can overclock it easier (this is the Black Edition btw) than the Phenom

any ideas?

I plan on video editing and some rendering, ie; Cinema 4D (not full-blown animations with heaps going on) and gaming, but not hardcore, i play games but rarely at high settings.

More about : amd 3870k phenom 945

a b à CPUs
June 27, 2012 6:23:53 AM

Well the FM1 socket is dead, so i'd stay away from it.
Given that u do video editing and rendering, try a little harder to at least get a 955BE.....otherwise even a core i3-2100 will be good enough :)  Plus the LGA 1155 socket has a more better upgrade path and it consumes upto 60W lesser power under full load :) 
m
l
June 27, 2012 6:39:36 AM

$hawn said:
Well the FM1 socket is dead, so i'd stay away from it.
Given that u do video editing and rendering, try a little harder to at least get a 955BE.....otherwise even a core i3-2100 will be good enough :)  Plus the LGA 1155 socket has a more better upgrade path and it consumes upto 60W lesser power under full load :) 

what about an intel i3-2120? i was keeping away since it's dual core, and i can't overclock it :??:  How much better is rendering time/game performance compared to the A8 or Phenom?

the thing is, i can find a 955BE. i would buy it, but the price of the actual product + shipping comes to over $200, and i could get a
FX-8150 for the same price.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2012 6:44:36 AM

Well its better than the 2100, but little more costlier:)  Mind u, Core i3's are very powerful dual cores. In rendering and video editing it may be a little bit slower than the quad phenom II and the A8.

Well if u can get the FX 8150, that will breeze thru ur workloads like butter, much faster than any of the phenom, A8 or the i3:) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2012 4:06:35 PM

Just go with a Phenom 2 quad black edition and don't look back for a year or more until amd has released something worth while to upgrade to. In apps that use more than two threads that needs a true quad a 955 BE will beat any SB/IB dual core in brute performance but games it lags behind. FX sucks unless you are able to make use of the total chip ie lots of apps or a heavily threaded app that scales beyond 4 cores/threads.

SB/IB dual core scores roughly 20-25glfop while a phenom 2 x4 starts around 30gflop depending on the clocks and scales up to around 40gflop +.
m
l
June 29, 2012 10:01:41 AM

nforce4max said:
Just go with a Phenom 2 quad black edition and don't look back for a year or more until amd has released something worth while to upgrade to. In apps that use more than two threads that needs a true quad a 955 BE will beat any SB/IB dual core in brute performance but games it lags behind. FX sucks unless you are able to make use of the total chip ie lots of apps or a heavily threaded app that scales beyond 4 cores/threads.

SB/IB dual core scores roughly 20-25glfop while a phenom 2 x4 starts around 30gflop depending on the clocks and scales up to around 40gflop +.

i wish it was that simple but i simply can't find any Phenom II higher than the 945

is the A8 worth it? it's my only option right now other than the Bulldozer CPU's, and the ones within my budget haven't gotten great reviews.
m
l
June 30, 2012 10:23:51 AM

I currently own an AMD 3870k and have it overclocked to 3.6ghz and while I don't do video editing or rendering. I looked at basically the same flip of coin phenom or apu I have it paired with AMD HD Radeon 6570 and get this rating from WEI cpu, 7.3 ram 7.5(8GB of Gskill sniper series 1866), aero and graphics 6.8 hdd 5.9. I can run diablo 3 at full specs at 1400 x 900 in windowed mode while watching hdtv thru media center, browse the web, stream video on skype and run spotify at 1900 x 1200 all at the same time and only use about 35-45% of cpu. If your looking for a budget build its the way to go. While a phenom is a better processor the APU is based on phenom technology and is faster than an Athlon II X4. To me it seems like this chip has a lot of potential allowing you to overclock you could get the base system then later on down the road invest in a better CPU cooler air for mild overclock, liquid cooler for overclocking to 4.0ghz or higher. Not only do you not have to buy a gpu to run games at mid-to high quality settings you can overclock the gpu to 800-900 depending on cpu cooler to get even better performance and or add a 6450, 6570 or 6670 for dual graphics setup . I have my dual gpu setup overclocked to 800mhz. So as a budget build system you cant go wrong. so piece what you can as you go. Much better onboard gpu setup than any mobo you could get for phenom. I do highly recommend that you get a better cooler and 1866 ram cause with no L3 cache the high speed ram makes up for it. Good luck with whatever you decide. Some have said the FM1 socket is dead while the maybe true just because you go with AM3+ socket doesnt mean that the newer AMD cpus will be compatible with your mobo in the future.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2012 2:00:28 PM

Dednutreap said:
i wish it was that simple but i simply can't find any Phenom II higher than the 945

is the A8 worth it? it's my only option right now other than the Bulldozer CPU's, and the ones within my budget haven't gotten great reviews.

I got A8 MX but it is a laptop, the apu does very well in gaming but if you are not putting games first then go with phenom 2 even if it is not a greatest model just so long that it is a quad or better. Get a decent board then push it over 3.5ghz and you wouldn't notice the difference much compared to a i5 quad in general use. Got both and phenom 2 isn't a slug.
m
l
!