Windows Picture and Fax Viewer Question

Darrell

I like WPFV for cursing through a folder of images. When I find a picture I
want to play with I want the Editor icon to open Paint Shop Pro instead of
MS Paint. I think I used to know how to set that up but cannot remember.
Anyone know how to make the change? Thanks.

--
Darrell

My email: darrell@darrellbassett.com
My web site: www.darrellbassett.com

Darrell,

Default editor is mspaint. To change the default editor to a third-party
program, reinstall the respective application, or directly set the registry
entry:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image\shell\edit\command

In the right-pane, set the value of (default) to the full path of the editor
program which you want to use.

Examples:
REG_EXPAND_SZ
"%systemroot%\system32\mspaint.exe" "%1"

REG_SZ
c:\windows\system32\mspaint.exe" "%1"
-or-
"c:\program files\my editor\editor.exe" "%1"

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

"Darrell" <darrellb58@comcast.net> wrote in message
I like WPFV for cursing through a folder of images. When I find a picture I
want to play with I want the Editor icon to open Paint Shop Pro instead of
MS Paint. I think I used to know how to set that up but cannot remember.
Anyone know how to make the change? Thanks.

--
Darrell

My email: darrell@darrellbassett.com
My web site: www.darrellbassett.com

Darrell

Thanks Ramesh.

Darrell

> Darrell,
>
> Default editor is mspaint. To change the default editor to a third-party
> program, reinstall the respective application, or directly set the
> registry
> entry:
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image\shell\edit\command
>
> In the right-pane, set the value of (default) to the full path of the
> editor
> program which you want to use.
>
> Examples:
> REG_EXPAND_SZ
> "%systemroot%\system32\mspaint.exe" "%1"
>
> REG_SZ
> c:\windows\system32\mspaint.exe" "%1"
> -or-
> "c:\program files\my editor\editor.exe" "%1"
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
>

> "Darrell" <darrellb58@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I like WPFV for cursing through a folder of images. When I find a picture
> want to play with I want the Editor icon to open Paint Shop Pro instead of
> MS Paint. I think I used to know how to set that up but cannot remember.
> Anyone know how to make the change? Thanks.
>
> --
> Darrell
>
> My email: darrell@darrellbassett.com
> My web site: www.darrellbassett.com

You're welcome.

--

Thanks Ramesh.

Darrell

> Darrell,
>
> Default editor is mspaint. To change the default editor to a third-party
> program, reinstall the respective application, or directly set the
> registry
> entry:
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image\shell\edit\command
>
> In the right-pane, set the value of (default) to the full path of the
> editor
> program which you want to use.
>
> Examples:
> REG_EXPAND_SZ
> "%systemroot%\system32\mspaint.exe" "%1"
>
> REG_SZ
> c:\windows\system32\mspaint.exe" "%1"
> -or-
> "c:\program files\my editor\editor.exe" "%1"
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
>

> "Darrell" <darrellb58@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I like WPFV for cursing through a folder of images. When I find a picture
> want to play with I want the Editor icon to open Paint Shop Pro instead of
> MS Paint. I think I used to know how to set that up but cannot remember.
> Anyone know how to make the change? Thanks.
>
> --
> Darrell
>
> My email: darrell@darrellbassett.com
> My web site: www.darrellbassett.com

If you want to make the changes for a *particular* file-type only, rather
than all "Image" types, see:
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/imgeditor.htm