Sign in with
Your question

2nd graphics card not showing up...please help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 9, 2012 3:31:25 AM

Hey guys,

I've got a brand new build here, but for some reason my second graphics card isn't showing up. Specs:

Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z
i7-2600K
2 x EVGA GTX 570 SLI
Seasonic X-1250
OCZ Vertex 3 240 GB

I already owned the two graphics cards and built this system and just plugged them in. I've been installing updates/drivers for a while now, and it just dawned on me that it's not recognizing my second card. I just downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers.

This thing is brand new and the cards just both worked in 2D Surround Vision a few days ago on my other rig.

Any ideas? It has to be something simple I'm just not doing.
January 9, 2012 3:50:10 AM

I should add that the fan spins while the machine is on, but the fan is not responsive on the second card to adjustments in EVGA Precision.

This is baffling and extremely annoying. I've never seen anything quite like it.
m
l
a c 79 U Graphics card
January 9, 2012 4:05:45 AM

did you plug in the pcie power connectors and the sli bridge?
m
l
Related resources
January 9, 2012 4:07:54 AM

I did indeed.

Even without the SLI bridge the computer should recognize it as a second independent graphics card. I know this because I've forgotten to connect the SLI bridge after taking the cards out to clean multiple times.

It acts like it's not even there.
m
l
a c 79 U Graphics card
January 9, 2012 4:11:16 AM

you could try each card, one at a time, on the first pcie slot.
check device manager and nvidia's for the gfx card's presence.
m
l
January 9, 2012 4:32:21 AM

I did that and they both worked one at a time. Then I tried dropping the second card one slot lower and it works now. I guess that means one of the PCI slots is bad on my brand new board.

I thought buying a $300+ mobo would alleviate these kind of issues. Guess not.
m
l
a c 79 U Graphics card
January 9, 2012 4:39:00 AM

if possible, check what's up with the second pcie slot in the bios or device manager.
you could rma the motherboard if it's under waranty.
m
l
!