Will I need fan with Maxtor 7200RPM?

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
In most cases, no. 7200RPM drives are fine on their own, but they do get quite warm, and a fan always helps.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I don't think the heat is going to effect the performance of the hard drive itself. I would just make sure your case has adaquate cooling. I have a Maxtor 30gig 7200rpm and it doesn't get that warm to tell you the truth. It could be that I have good cooling in my case or the drive doesn't run that hot. I had a 27gig old model Maxtor drive and it got really hot. Didn't hurt anything though and it is running on the 2nd year with No problems.

I bet Maxtor is going to have some nice things coming out soon in the merger w/Quantum. Now that they are the bigest hard drive mfg in the world. I think they rock. I know alot of other ppl would disagree with me there, but I have my reasons! ;O)

Take is easy all! Hope I was somewhat of a help ..? *:O)

<font color=green>"Your call will be answered by the next available Tech Support representative"</font color=green>

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
4 x 80GB = near as nothing 1/3 terabyte.

Unfortunately currently only ~ 150GB usable due to RAID0,1 so I want to get that onto raid 3 or 5 using Adaptec/3Ware/Primise card rto recover a disc.

I've also got another system with 80GB scsi array, One with a 45GB IBM and another 80GB firewire drive.

Space I ain't short of > 350GB usable.

I do use it too - I create >100MB/day in assorted data + incremental hits of 12GB video captures and 5GB DVD 'backups'

Main problem is backing it all up of course....

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Who's FireWire drive are you using? Is it the Maxtor one? The Maxtor FW drive is cool but has a lot of limitations ...

It is nice to see that there is another person on this message board that likes Maxtor hard drives other then IBM!! *:O)

<font color=green>"Your call will be answered by the next available Tech Support representative"</font color=green>

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Yep maxtor 80GB external. Very useful for system backups and bulk system to system copies.;o)

The IBM drives are good, but a little noisy and hot. I find the UATA100 5400rpm 80GB's a very good drive, and excellent value. The IBMs are good, but I reckon the Maxtors are better value!

What do you mean by limitations on the firewire? Barods like the Iwill support firewire booting - so drives like that could come into their own for recovery.

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
You could have problems when you try to copy more then 2gig's at a time because of a limitation of the tailgate adapter in the drive. The drive isn't supported on Networks cause it can't support multiple clients accessing the drive at the same time (you could get a write error of some sort). You could also have ALOT of software compatibility problems .. like Scandisk and Defrag on the PC have problems and other Virus utilitys and Image programs.

Basically the drive is made for drag and drop data storage. It is an awesome drive though! I have messed with them alot on a Mac and a PC just have no reason to buy one for myself.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Hmm- I haven't tried file copy, but I do read/write a large file. I have a 57GB backup file on there right now that works fine!

Wasn't aware of big file copy issues with it - just seemed to work fine with Win2K. Maybe I'm not a demanding user! :)

Thanks for the info - I'll watch out for it.

TRENDING THREADS