Method for getting >10 port forwarding rules?

ettin

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
I have a group of 20 computers and i need to access them all remotely via RDP. Short of disabling the firewall i dont see any other way of opening all the ports i'll need to do this. One idea i had was to connect a router with the firewall disabled to another router with the firewall enabled, and then just use one forwarding rule for the disabled router, but i dont know enough about routers to configure that properly. Any advice?

ettin

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
i found this explanation, however it doesnt tell me how, if i connect via RDP to ip: port, the main router would know to send the request to my device sitting on the nested router. It also doesnt mention how encryption works in this configuration. Google doesnt seem to have anything on the topic.

How interesting. My FIOS is going to be installed on Tuesday, so I will have to do the same thing.

I do this all the time with routers. There are many options, but they are usually variations on two themes:

Configuration 1 - Both routers used as DHCP servers and NAT firewalls

In this configuration, you have plugged the WAN port of router B into one of the LAN ports of router A.

Looks like this:
Router A
WAN IP Address: 69.31.112.33 (or whatever your ISP gives you)
LAN Network: 192.168.1.x

Router B
WAN IP Address: 192.168.1.2 (or whatever Router A handed out)
LAN Network: 192.168.2.x

In this configuration, you have two networks. Since NAT routers act as a one-way-valve, letting you see the Internet without letting the Internet see you, clients in network A cannot see clients in network B (the nested network). However, clients in network B can see clients in network A.

You will likely want to set up a static IP for router B.
You might want to set up static IP for print servers or NAS devices on network A if things in network B need to see them.

If you turn on wireless on both routers, you will have two wireless networks that match the attributes of network A and B.

This is my own home configuration right now. I do this so that I can use router A to limit access to *everything* attached to the kids' router (router B), even if it is an iPod Touch or an XBox.

Configuration 2 - Only one router used as DHCP server and NAT firewall

In this case, the WAN port of router B is usually ignored.
You must go to the Config Screen for router B and turn off DHCP and possibly select other router-specific options to turn it into a Wireless Access Point.

Now, hook one of the LAN ports from router B to one of the LAN ports of router A.

Router A is now issuing IP addresses; router B is simply acting as a WAP, extending your network.
All devices attached to either router A or router B will see each other, and they will all share the same subnet (e.g. 192.168.1.x).

At the end of the day, you can turn on WiFi on the good WiFi device and turn it off for the crappy device, regardless of where they are in your network. Just make sure you are aware of which configuration your are setting up. If you just start hooking routers together, you will likely end up with the situation I described in the first configuration, with multiple networks.

ettin

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009

Oh, you mean like set them up in a homegroup? Wouldnt that screw me over if the main one went down?