RFD: rec.photo.equipment.sigma

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 6, 2005 11:38:01 PM

Archived from groups: news.announce.newgroups,news.groups,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD)
unmoderated group rec.photo.equipment.sigma

This is a formal Request For Discussion (RFD) for the creation of
the unmoderated Usenet newsgroup rec.photo.equipment.sigma. This is
not a Call for Votes (CFV); you cannot vote at this time.
Procedural details are below.

Newsgroup line:
rec.photo.equipment.sigma Sigma photo equipment discussion group.

RATIONALE: rec.photo.equipment.sigma

Sigma photography equipment differs from all other photo gear due to
a variety of factors. Only Sigma film and digital bodies feature
the native Sigma SA* lens mount. Sigma digital bodies are the only
camera bodies that use the highly superior Foveon image sensors,
which capture full-color R-G-B pixels in three layers like color
film instead of in monochrome like all other image sensors. Sigma
bodies also tend to have fewer exposure and focus problems than
other platforms. Sigma photo equipment is used by top professional
photographers on every continent and the advantages over other
platforms are significant enough to justify the addition of a new
newsgroup for the Sigma platform.

CHARTER: rec.photo.equipment.sigma

The group rec.photo.equipment.sigma is for the discussion of Sigma
digital and film photography equipment. Commercial advertisements
are not permitted but personal sale items and auction pointers are
welcome. Binary files other than digital signatures or X-Faces are
not permitted to be posted to RPDS.

END CHARTER.

PROCEDURE:

This is a request for discussion, not a call for votes. In this
phase of the process, any potential problems with the proposed
newsgroups should be raised and resolved. The discussion period
will continue for a minimum of 21 days (starting from when the first
RFD for this proposal is posted to news.announce.newgroups), after
which a Call For Votes (CFV) may be posted by a neutral vote taker
if the discussion warrants it. Please do not attempt to vote until
this happens.

All discussion of this proposal should be posted to news.groups.

This RFD attempts to comply fully with the Usenet newsgroup creation
guidelines outlined in "How to Create a New Usenet Newsgroup" and
"How to Format and Submit a New Group Proposal". Please refer to
these documents (available in news.announce.newgroups) if you have
any questions about the process.

DISTRIBUTION:

This RFD has been posted to:

news.announce.newgroups
news.groups
rec.photo.digital
rec.photo.equipment.35mm
rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Proponent: Sarah Molly <gy5u-mgxh@dea.spamcon.org>
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 12:04:20 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 19:38:01 +0000, Sarah Molly
<gy5u-mgxh@dea.spamcon.org> wrote:

>Sigma digital bodies are the only camera bodies that use the highly
>superior Foveon image sensors, which capture full-color R-G-B
>pixels in three layers like color film instead of in monochrome like
>all other image sensors.

Hahahahahaha!

I suggest a better name that people would find easier to remember:

rec.photo.equipment.low-res.disney-colors.purple-fringing.sigma

or

rec.photo.equipment.how-do-you-turn-off-the-purple-noise.sigma

See fovean 'quality' here:
http://www.pbase.com/sigmasd9/image/43412098

....discuss.

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

Owamanga wrote:

> On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 19:38:01 +0000, Sarah Molly
> <gy5u-mgxh@dea.spamcon.org> wrote:
>

>>Sigma digital bodies are the only camera bodies that use the highly
>>superior Foveon image sensors, which capture full-color R-G-B
>>pixels in three layers like color film instead of in monochrome like
>>all other image sensors.
>

> Hahahahahaha!
>

> ...discuss.

You're neglecting the "Preddy containment" factor.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 12:04:22 AM

"Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreelunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
news:D 82bd6$jud$2@inews.gazeta.pl...
> Owamanga wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 19:38:01 +0000, Sarah Molly
>> <gy5u-mgxh@dea.spamcon.org> wrote:
>>

>>>Sigma digital bodies are the only camera bodies that use the highly
>>>superior Foveon image sensors, which capture full-color R-G-B pixels in
>>>three layers like color film instead of in monochrome like all other
>>>image sensors.
>>

>> Hahahahahaha!
>>

>> ...discuss.
>
> You're neglecting the "Preddy containment" factor.

My thought, exactly!

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Archived from groups: news.groups,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Sarah Molly" <gy5u-mgxh@dea.spamcon.org> wrote in message

Sarah is Mrs Sarah "Preddy" (Giovanella), wife of "George Preddy" (Steve
Giovanella).
Molly is their daughter.

The rather strange creature that calls itself George Preddy has not denied
or refuted this fact.

H.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 1:45:22 AM

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 21:45:21 +0100, "Hannah" <hannah@example.com> wrote:

>"Sarah Molly" <gy5u-mgxh@dea.spamcon.org> wrote in message
>
>Sarah is Mrs Sarah "Preddy" (Giovanella), wife of "George Preddy" (Steve
>Giovanella).
>Molly is their daughter.
>
>The rather strange creature that calls itself George Preddy has not denied
>or refuted this fact.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the matter at hand - a proposal
to create a new newsgroup. The regulars in news.groups don't care who
makes a proposal.

What do you think of the proposal to create a rec.photo.equipment.sigma
newsgroup?

--
Rob Kelk
Personal address (ROT-13): eboxryx -ng- tznvy -qbg- pbz

Hannah wrote:

> "Sarah Molly" <gy5u-mgxh@dea.spamcon.org> wrote in message
>

> Sarah is Mrs Sarah "Preddy" (Giovanella), wife of "George Preddy" (Steve
> Giovanella).
> Molly is their daughter.
>
> The rather strange creature that calls itself George Preddy has not denied
> or refuted this fact.

Whatever. Even if they manage to get enough votes, nobody will
participate in the NG. Just a waste of the news.groups admins time.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 1:45:22 AM

Archived from groups: news.groups,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

>Sarah is Mrs Sarah "Preddy" (Giovanella), wife of "George Preddy"
>(Steve Giovanella).
>Molly is their daughter.

Preddy has figured out how to reproduce? Gawd, what a disturbing
thought!
June 7, 2005 1:45:23 AM

Archived from groups: news.groups,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <ube9a19jl85gpui63201i6ul19kqimkgdv@4ax.com>, Rob Kelk
<robkelk@deadspam.com> wrote:

> What do you think of the proposal to create a rec.photo.equipment.sigma
> newsgroup?

It is a rather stupid idea. In any case the proposal is a troll. Almost
all the discussion that takes place about Sigma in the photo groups is
either posts by a mission troll who claims it is the greatest digital
camera ever, probably a put on, and a variety of people who fall for
the troll bait and waste a lot of bandwith replying to the nonsense.

--
Charles
Anonymous

Alan Browne wrote:
> Hannah wrote:
>
>> "Sarah Molly" <gy5u-mgxh@dea.spamcon.org> wrote in message
>>

>> Sarah is Mrs Sarah "Preddy" (Giovanella), wife of "George Preddy" (Steve
>> Giovanella).
>> Molly is their daughter.

In other words, until we hear from Steve himself, these three and many
more posters are..... Steve Giovanella.

> Whatever. Even if they manage to get enough votes, nobody will
> participate in the NG. Just a waste of the news.groups admins time.

I hope, even presume that most of the admins have already killfiled this
and related threads.

I hope I can refrain from further posts.
Now, on to World Peace..... I hope

--
John McWilliams
Anonymous

Bill Hilton wrote:

> Preddy has figured out how to reproduce? Gawd, what a disturbing
> thought!

His daughter got 99% in math! (well 3 seperate 33%'s, but to Predy
that means 99%. Sigma math).

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 1:45:23 AM

<robkelk@deadspam.com> wrote:

> This has absolutely nothing to do with the matter at hand - a proposal
> to create a new newsgroup. The regulars in news.groups don't care who
> makes a proposal.
>
> What do you think of the proposal to create a rec.photo.equipment.sigma
> newsgroup?

A more appropriate title would be alt.losers.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 1:45:24 AM

Charles wrote:
> In article <ube9a19jl85gpui63201i6ul19kqimkgdv@4ax.com>, Rob Kelk
> <robkelk@deadspam.com> wrote:

>>What do you think of the proposal to create a rec.photo.equipment.sigma
>>newsgroup?
>
> It is a rather stupid idea. In any case the proposal is a troll.

Bingo! Maybe we could all, uh, just resist further discussion as well as
"discussion".

--
John McWilliams
Anonymous

"Charles" <fort514@mac.com> wrote in message
> In article <ube9a19jl85gpui63201i6ul19kqimkgdv@4ax.com>, Rob Kelk
> <robkelk@deadspam.com> wrote:
>
>> What do you think of the proposal to create a rec.photo.equipment.sigma
>> newsgroup?
>
> It is a rather stupid idea. In any case the proposal is a troll. Almost
> all the discussion that takes place about Sigma in the photo groups is
> either posts by a mission troll who claims it is the greatest digital
> camera ever, probably a put on, and a variety of people who fall for
> the troll bait and waste a lot of bandwith replying to the nonsense.
>
> --
> Charles

So, then, if a newsgroup were created for just that discussion, then any
Sigma trolling would be off topic for this group, wouldn't it? Just because
does it?
It may be a stupid idea, but its unintended consequence could be
brilliant...

--

Alan Browne wrote:
> Bill Hilton wrote:
>
>> Preddy has figured out how to reproduce? Gawd, what a disturbing
>> thought!
>
> His daughter got 99% in math! (well 3 seperate 33%'s, but to Predy
> that means 99%. Sigma math).

That's preddy funny, Alan.

The not-funny part is that someone will have to add to the waste by
dropping-in to the Sigma group so sincere seekers will find some touch
of reality to counteract GeorgeSteveSarahMolly's disturbed version.

On balance (can I use that term in a PreddySigma thread?), not funny
at all.

--
Frank ess
Anonymous

Skip M wrote:

> So, then, if a newsgroup were created for just that discussion, then any
> Sigma trolling would be off topic for this group, wouldn't it?

When, in a disturbing fit of total fairness, we wrote the charter for
this NG (.slr-systems) we left it wide open for legitimate Sigma DSLR users.

I can't speak for Thad, but I do regret the error and beg your merciful
forgiveness.

Franky, we didn't consider Preddy smart enough to find the new NG.

Cheers,
Alan.
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 1:45:26 AM

news:D 82kla$10b$1@inews.gazeta.pl...
> Skip M wrote:
>
>> So, then, if a newsgroup were created for just that discussion, then any
>> Sigma trolling would be off topic for this group, wouldn't it?
>

> When, in a disturbing fit of total fairness, we wrote the charter for this
> NG (.slr-systems) we left it wide open for legitimate Sigma DSLR users.
>
> I can't speak for Thad, but I do regret the error and beg your merciful
> forgiveness.
>
> Franky, we didn't consider Preddy smart enough to find the new NG.
>
> Cheers,
> Alan.

I've noticed that he's rather seasonal, too. It was May of last year that
the first go round with him was occurring...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 2:14:42 AM

Archived from groups: news.groups,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

If it will take 'George Preddy' and his rantings off of rpd, then by all
means create a new group.

Mark
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 4:07:17 AM

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 16:24:12 -0400, Alan Browne
<alan.browne@FreelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

>You're neglecting the "Preddy containment" factor.

"alt.dev.null.preddy" then?

Oh, wait, I already did...

Andy
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 5:22:33 AM

Archived from groups: news.groups,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 22:14:42 -0400, "Mark B."
<mbohntrash54@comcast.net> wrote:

>If it will take 'George Preddy' and his rantings off of rpd, then by all
>means create a new group.
>
>Mark

There's already a couple of thread-bare Sigma WWW sites.
-Rich
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 6:03:58 AM

"Bill Hilton" <bhilton665@aol.com> wrote in message
> >Sarah is Mrs Sarah "Preddy" (Giovanella), wife of "George Preddy"
>>(Steve Giovanella).
>>Molly is their daughter.
>
> Preddy has figured out how to reproduce? Gawd, what a disturbing
> thought!

Indeed. He, Steven R. Giovenella, got married on 24-Nov-1990 with his
wife Elisabeth, and they have a couple of kids (poor soles, disturbing
indeed).

Bart
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 6:38:52 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Skip M wrote:
> "Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreelunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
> news:D 82bd6$jud$2@inews.gazeta.pl...
> > Owamanga wrote:

> >> Hahahahahaha!
> >>

> >> ...discuss.
> >
> > You're neglecting the "Preddy containment" factor.
> >

> My thought, exactly!

What a shame what he's done to the reputation of a camera. I just
looked it up and noticed that it can actually be had now for less than
the price of a current serious p&s digicam, not even the top of the
line ones, making it a real cheapo. I was furthermore intrigued by
knowing that it has exactly the triad of essential specs I want,
namely, a camera that uses AA batteries to shoot RAW images on compact
flash cards with full manual controls (the only other one currently
sold being the fuji s3pro!). It even has two LCDs, including the status
LCD display that I adore and would solely use http://tinyurl.com/d22h2.
I looked up reviews and saw that all praised its image quality, from
cdresource's phrase "Stunning image quality", to dpreview 'unmatched'
or 'revolutionary' on 'pixel for pixel' image quality, to many others.

I've become increasingly fond lately of b&w digital imaging. I don't
need many lenses (in fact, one or two will do just fine!) and don't
care much about the resolution (3mp will be just fine), and it seems
the separate color capture of the faveon may work out nicely for the
channel mixer in photoshop. I've also been researching making digital
b&w shoestring short films lately and experimented with 3ccd camcorders
versus 1ccd, and found that when working on their stills the 3ccd
convert to b&w much more nicely than 1ccd because they have a ccd for
each color and hence give richer info for me to play with in the
channel mixer with monochrome ticked.

A 3ccd camcorder is already on my wishlist. Has anyone tried the sigma
SD10 for digital b&w? (preddy in your many aliases, please stay away!)

> --
> Skip Middleton
> http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 7:29:46 AM

Archived from groups: news.groups,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

rbehunin@alumni.weber.edu wrote in

> For digital photos they belong in
> rec.photo.digital.slr-systems, and for 35mm equipment in
> rec.photo.equipment.35mm. rec.photo.digital is a group that was
> supposed to be disbanded.

I was one of the proponents for the RPD reorganization and I am also
a regular poster to news.groups. RPD was never supposed to be
disbanded (by unanimous consensus of all six proponents and all RFD
participants). RPD is still on the active list of Big Eight
newsgroups, and it is a very healthy group. Digital SLR discussion
is on-topic in both RPD and in RPDSLR-S.

--

Bill
Anonymous

casioculture@gmail.com wrote:
> Skip M wrote:
> > "Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreelunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
> > news:D 82bd6$jud$2@inews.gazeta.pl...

> > > You're neglecting the "Preddy containment" factor.
> > >

> > My thought, exactly!
>
> What a shame what he's done to the reputation of a camera. I just
> looked it up and noticed that it can actually be had now for less than
> the price of a current serious p&s digicam, not even the top of the
> line ones, making it a real cheapo. I was furthermore intrigued by
> knowing that it has exactly the triad of essential specs I want,
> namely, a camera that uses AA batteries to shoot RAW images on compact
> flash cards with full manual controls (the only other one currently
> sold being the fuji s3pro!). It even has two LCDs, including the status
> LCD display that I adore and would solely use http://tinyurl.com/d22h2.
> I looked up reviews and saw that all praised its image quality, from
> cdresource's phrase "Stunning image quality", to dpreview 'unmatched'
> or 'revolutionary' on 'pixel for pixel' image quality, to many others.
>
> I've become increasingly fond lately of b&w digital imaging. I don't
> need many lenses (in fact, one or two will do just fine!) and don't
> care much about the resolution (3mp will be just fine), and it seems
> the separate color capture of the faveon may work out nicely for the
> channel mixer in photoshop. I've also been researching making digital
> b&w shoestring short films lately and experimented with 3ccd camcorders
> versus 1ccd, and found that when working on their stills the 3ccd
> convert to b&w much more nicely than 1ccd because they have a ccd for
> each color and hence give richer info for me to play with in the
> channel mixer with monochrome ticked.
>
> A 3ccd camcorder is already on my wishlist. Has anyone tried the sigma
> SD10 for digital b&w? (preddy in your many aliases, please stay away!)

Nevermind, just download some x3f files and tried them in photoshop
http://tinyurl.com/axls9
I see nothing spectacular or impressive. If anything, I like them
considerably less than the RAF files of my f810. The resolution is much
lower than I had thought, and the images have a 'plasticky' smooth feel
to them.

> > --
> > Skip Middleton
> > http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 11:33:11 AM

Rob Kelk wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 21:45:21 +0100, "Hannah" <hannah@example.com> wrote:
>

>>"Sarah Molly" <gy5u-mgxh@dea.spamcon.org> wrote in message
>>
>>Sarah is Mrs Sarah "Preddy" (Giovanella), wife of "George Preddy" (Steve
>>Giovanella).
>>Molly is their daughter.
>>
>>The rather strange creature that calls itself George Preddy has not denied
>>or refuted this fact.
>

> This has absolutely nothing to do with the matter at hand - a proposal
> to create a new newsgroup. The regulars in news.groups don't care who
> makes a proposal.
>
> What do you think of the proposal to create a rec.photo.equipment.sigma
> newsgroup?

I am against creating newsgroups which are basicly proposed by people
who can't work in existing groups that do the same thing. A Sigma lens
group I might consider but there is simply not enough Sigma cameras in
the wild to justify a newsgroup dedicated to them. They are after all a
digital SLR, no different to a Nikon or Canon or Minolta.

--
Douglas...
It's traditional, painter's use it, Rembrandt used it.

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

casioculture@gmail.com wrote:

> namely, a camera that uses AA batteries to shoot RAW images on compact
> flash cards with full manual controls (the only other one currently
> sold being the fuji s3pro!). It even has two LCDs, including the status

I hope you're referring to the "AA" batts, because most of the DSLR's
can be shot solely manual.

Beyond that, the energy density of Li-ion's is better than any AA
Alkaline or NiMH battery. I can shoot for a day and then some with one
Li-ion and a second Li-ion is cheap enough if I thought I needed backup.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 12:49:21 PM

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 22:37:42 +0100, "Hannah" <hannah@example.com> wrote:

>"Rob Kelk" <robkelk@deadspam.com> wrote in message

<snip>

>> This has absolutely nothing to do with the matter at hand - a proposal
>> to create a new newsgroup. The regulars in news.groups don't care who
>> makes a proposal.
>>
>Even if it's a rank impostor? A known, and probably state-registered,
>lunatic?

It could be proposed by the AntiChrist, or G*d Almighty - we don't care.
What matters is the message, not the messenger.

>On only 22 May "Sarah Molly" stated thus (addressed to Preddy):
<requoted "newbie" post snipped>

>Can you honestly believe that such a noob would go from that to an RFD in
>only two weeks?

I've seen it happen in one week, in other cases. So, yes.

<snip>

--
Rob Kelk
Personal address (ROT-13): eboxryx -ng- tznvy -qbg- pbz
Any opinions here are mine, not ONAG's.
ott.* newsgroup charters: <http://onag.pinetree.org&gt;
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 1:09:18 PM

In news.groups Skip M <shadowcatcher@cox.net> wrote:

>So, then, if a newsgroup were created for just that discussion, then any
>Sigma trolling would be off topic for this group, wouldn't it?

Yes, IF everyone interested in Sigma equipment cooperated and moved
to it. Trolls, by definition, don't cooperate.

>Just because
>there's a newsgroup, it doesn't mean that we all have to subscribe to it,
>does it?

Correct, but it also doesn't mean traffic automatically will be
directed to it.

>It may be a stupid idea, but its unintended consequence could be
>brilliant...

Pushing readers out of an exiting group into a new newsgroups
seldomly works. Pulling, or attracting, them into a new newsgroup
works much better. What you are suggesting is more push than pull,
so it probably wouldn't have the consequence you imply.

ru

--
My standard proposals rant:
Quality, usefulness, merit, or non-newsgroups popularity of a topic

<ru.igarashi@usask.ca> wrote in message
news:D 83o7u$pp0$2@tribune.usask.ca...
> In news.groups Skip M <shadowcatcher@cox.net> wrote:
>
>>So, then, if a newsgroup were created for just that discussion, then any
>>Sigma trolling would be off topic for this group, wouldn't it?
>
> Yes, IF everyone interested in Sigma equipment cooperated and moved
> to it. Trolls, by definition, don't cooperate.
>
>>Just because
>>there's a newsgroup, it doesn't mean that we all have to subscribe to it,
>>does it?
>
> Correct, but it also doesn't mean traffic automatically will be
> directed to it.
>
>>It may be a stupid idea, but its unintended consequence could be
>>brilliant...
>
> Pushing readers out of an exiting group into a new newsgroups
> seldomly works. Pulling, or attracting, them into a new newsgroup
> works much better. What you are suggesting is more push than pull,
> so it probably wouldn't have the consequence you imply.
>
> ru

I know, but one can always hope, can't one?

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 1:23:42 PM

In news.groups Hannah <hannah@example.com> wrote:

>"Rob Kelk" <robkelk@deadspam.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 21:45:21 +0100, "Hannah" <hannah@example.com> wrote:
>>

>> >Sarah is Mrs Sarah "Preddy" (Giovanella), wife of "George Preddy" (Steve
>> >Giovanella).
>> >Molly is their daughter.
>> >
>> >The rather strange creature that calls itself George Preddy has not
>denied
>> >or refuted this fact.
>>
>> This has absolutely nothing to do with the matter at hand - a proposal
>> to create a new newsgroup. The regulars in news.groups don't care who
>> makes a proposal.
>>
>Even if it's a rank impostor? A known, and probably state-registered,
>lunatic?

Pretty much, YUP.
Look, anyone that uses a pseudonym on usenet is as anonymous as
the so called imposter. It's not an issue unless the person is
actually stealing someone elses identity. As for being a lunatic,
well, if the proposal actually shapes up and actually gets truly
supportive votes, that lunatic would be a pretty functional
person. See my .sig. All that matters is if a proposal has enough
people willing to read the group.

>Can you honestly believe that such a noob would go from that to an RFD in
>only two weeks? That "she" has supposedly owned a Sigma for only two weeks
>and now wants an NG dedicated to it - not only that, but is also capable of
>writing the RFD?

Sure, why not? An RFD is a fairly structured document, and frankly,
very few proponents have written a usable first draft, no matter
how experienced a usenet user they are. However, I'll grant that
it generally helps if the proponent was familiar with the readers
it is trying to attract into the proposed group. But if in the two
weeks it is clear to that person that there is a general cry for a
new newsgroup, and that such a thing is lacking simply for initiative,
then good for the proponent for trying. It would help if there were
some regulars lending a hand on gauging the needs of the readers, but
from the news.groups perspective, that's something for the proponent
to decide. As I said, all that matters is if there are enough
readers. As a side issue, a well constructed proposal would go a
long way to making sure the group has a better chance at being viable,
and that is where news.groups regulars might intercede. And you may
have noticed, that has been the nature of our comments.

ru

--
My standard proposals rant:
Quality, usefulness, merit, or non-newsgroups popularity of a topic
is more or less irrelevant in creating a new Big-8 newsgroup.
Usenet popularity is the primary consideration.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 3:27:11 PM

Sarah Molly wrote:
[]
> Sigma photography equipment differs from all other photo gear due to
> a variety of factors. Only Sigma film and digital bodies feature
> the native Sigma SA* lens mount. Sigma digital bodies are the only
> camera bodies that use the highly superior Foveon image sensors,
> which capture full-color R-G-B pixels in three layers like color
> film instead of in monochrome like all other image sensors. Sigma
> bodies also tend to have fewer exposure and focus problems than
> other platforms. Sigma photo equipment is used by top professional
> photographers on every continent and the advantages over other
> platforms are significant enough to justify the addition of a new
> newsgroup for the Sigma platform.

Much of the benefit of the cut-and-thrust of discussions within the
present rec.photo.digital groups comes from inter-brand, and inter-system
(i.e. P&S and DSLR) comparisons. While there are sufficient differences
between systems to justify the recently created additional groups, were
the present proposal to be adopted, groups for other brands would need to
be created as well - in no particular order Minolta, Nikon, Canon,
Olympus, Pentax etc. and many more, thus creating excessive fragmentation.
These brand-specific needs are already well-served by many existing
Web-based forums.

I therefore see little merit in the proposal as presented, nor in any
revision of the proposal to encompass further brands.

David
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 4:42:13 PM

Alan Browne wrote:

> Owamanga wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 19:38:01 +0000, Sarah Molly
> > <gy5u-mgxh@dea.spamcon.org> wrote:
> >

> >>Sigma digital bodies are the only camera bodies that use the highly
> >>superior Foveon image sensors, which capture full-color R-G-B
> >>pixels in three layers like color film instead of in monochrome like
> >>all other image sensors.
> >

> > Hahahahahaha!
> >

> > ...discuss.
>
> You're neglecting the "Preddy containment" factor.

You think it would contain Preddy? He thrives on shoving it to Bayer
sensor users, and he won't find many of them on a Sigma thread, I
shouldn't think.

We will surely still have to put up with the crackpot on this and
related groups {:-(

Colin
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 5:03:11 PM

Archived from groups: news.groups,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Skip M <shadowcatcher@cox.net> wrote:

>"Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreelunchVideotron.ca> wrote
>> When, in a disturbing fit of total fairness, we wrote the charter for this
>> NG (.slr-systems) we left it wide open for legitimate Sigma DSLR users.
>>
>> I can't speak for Thad, but I do regret the error and beg your merciful
>> forgiveness.
>>
>> Franky, we didn't consider Preddy smart enough to find the new NG.

>I've noticed that he's rather seasonal, too. It was May of last year that
>the first go round with him was occurring...

Must be a jobless student then.

Ignoring the fact that the RFD is a troll, the fact that Sigma has
its own mount isn't an reason for a new group since Canon/Nikon/
Pentax/Leica et al have their own mounts. Crossposting will only
increase the total annoyance of troll posts, since it won't keep
them out of r.p.d or rpd.slr-systems.

If anyone is actually serious about it, r.p.d.sensors could be an
idea, but there isn't enough volume to make it worthwhile.
I still favour r.p.d.storage and r.p.d.processing or some such.

--
Ken Tough
Anonymous

Alan Browne wrote:
> casioculture@gmail.com wrote:
>

> > namely, a camera that uses AA batteries to shoot RAW images on compact
> > flash cards with full manual controls (the only other one currently
> > sold being the fuji s3pro!). It even has two LCDs, including the status
>
> I hope you're referring to the "AA" batts, because most of the DSLR's
> can be shot solely manual.
>
> Beyond that, the energy density of Li-ion's is better than any AA
> Alkaline or NiMH battery. I can shoot for a day and then some with one
> Li-ion and a second Li-ion is cheap enough if I thought I needed backup.
>
> Cheers,
> Alan

Hi Alan, :-)

Yes, I'm referring precisely to the AA batteries. As far as I know, of
the current DSLRs the fuji s3pro and the pentax *ist DS use them, but
none other (though the SD10 does, apparently). I have quite a few of
those rechargeables I could fill up a small bag, they keep making them
better all the time, are cheap and everywhere, and I certainly have a
strong preference for them considering that I won't have to upgrade a
camera due to difficulty in finding its batteries in the future, as my
interests at the moment seem to be shifting towards extreme minimalism,
and a basic camera could cover them for a long time. In fact, the more
basic the camera the less I'm likely to be distracted, as I want to
concentrate on the "art" aspect, which I personally find intrigues me
more.

I must say that for a moment the SD10 seemed a "good enough" fit for my
basic needs considering its remarkably low price at the moment; I don't
need to pay for things I won't use and if I put two or three cameras
from the remains of my collection on ebay I could get one. But its
images, from the raw files I downloaded from the net, did not impress
me at first instance. Now though, 8 hours later or so, I don't know, I
seem to find them less unsatisfactory than I did this morning.

For what it's worth, here's an example of those 1ccd vs 3ccd stills
from camcorders; http://tinyurl.com/6b7rq. When converted to black and
white using the channel mixer the 3ccd stills look *far* better than
the 1ccd stills, and give more opportunity to play. If I had interest
in short B&W videography, and I do for a future opportunity (it seems a
good way to combine my interests in photography and writing), I would
certainly want a 3CCD camera. The sigma intrigued me today on
remembering the 3CCD stills I played with lately and then the design of
the faveon sensor, and I wondered if converting its color images to b&w
with the channel mixer would give better results than regular cameras,
since, like the 3ccd camcorders, the 3 colors are recorded separately.

I'm still playing with its raw (x3f) files, so it remains to be seen.
So far not sure it's worth it.

> -- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
June 7, 2005 7:39:16 PM

"David J Taylor"
<david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote in
message news:jwfpe.46646$G8.36620@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Sarah Molly wrote:
> []
>> Sigma photography equipment differs from all other photo gear due to
>> a variety of factors. Only Sigma film and digital bodies feature
>> the native Sigma SA* lens mount. Sigma digital bodies are the only
>> camera bodies that use the highly superior Foveon image sensors,
>> which capture full-color R-G-B pixels in three layers like color
>> film instead of in monochrome like all other image sensors. Sigma
>> bodies also tend to have fewer exposure and focus problems than
>> other platforms. Sigma photo equipment is used by top professional
>> photographers on every continent and the advantages over other
>> platforms are significant enough to justify the addition of a new
>> newsgroup for the Sigma platform.
>
> Much of the benefit of the cut-and-thrust of discussions within the
> present rec.photo.digital groups comes from inter-brand, and inter-system
> (i.e. P&S and DSLR) comparisons. While there are sufficient differences
> between systems to justify the recently created additional groups, were
> the present proposal to be adopted, groups for other brands would need to
> be created as well - in no particular order Minolta, Nikon, Canon,
> Olympus, Pentax etc. and many more, thus creating excessive fragmentation.
> These brand-specific needs are already well-served by many existing
> Web-based forums.
>
> I therefore see little merit in the proposal as presented, nor in any
> revision of the proposal to encompass further brands.
>
> David

Well put and all things being equal I would agee.

The only merit I see is it might limit the postings telling us how
unbelievable perfect the Sigma/ Foveon is and how everything else is
rubbish, a con or biased by advertisers, when the majority realise the
truth. I know this is a minority of posters, and probably doesn't represent
many sigma users, but it would be good for them to discuss amongst
themselves.
I don't hold out much hope ;O)
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 11:33:30 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

casioculture@gmail.com wrote:

> Alan wrote
>
>>Beyond that, the energy density of Li-ion's is better than any AA
>>Alkaline or NiMH battery. I can shoot for a day and then some with one
>>Li-ion and a second Li-ion is cheap enough if I thought I needed backup.
>>

> Hi Alan, :-)
>
> Yes, I'm referring precisely to the AA batteries. As far as I know, of
> the current DSLRs the fuji s3pro and the pentax *ist DS use them, but
> none other (though the SD10 does, apparently). I have quite a few of
> those rechargeables I could fill up a small bag, they keep making them
> better all the time, are cheap and everywhere, and I certainly have a
> strong preference for them considering that I won't have to upgrade a
> camera due to difficulty in finding its batteries in the future, as my

Given that there are literally hundreds of products for which specialty
batteries are sold by 3rd parties long after the OEM has quit the
product, this is an area that I feel is not of much concern. I too had
my reservations but a bit of research put me in the "Li-ion in
proprietary format is okay" camp. Given the performance of them, and
from what I can tell so far, no daily 'charge' loss of any noticeable
amount (vice NiCd/NiMH), I'm very happy.

I use NiMH AA's for my flashes and I keep 5 sets going in rotation
through my 3 flashes. Best way to do flash (and keep 8 AA's as backup
in the bag for the day I end up with uncharged NiMH's).

> I must say that for a moment the SD10 seemed a "good enough" fit for my
> basic needs considering its remarkably low price at the moment; I don't
> need to pay for things I won't use and if I put two or three cameras
> from the remains of my collection on ebay I could get one. But its
> images, from the raw files I downloaded from the net, did not impress
> me at first instance. Now though, 8 hours later or so, I don't know, I
> seem to find them less unsatisfactory than I did this morning.

We're very critical. The SD10 is not bad at all (despite what we heap
on Preddy. But being forced into the Sigma lenses is what draws me
short. Had Sigma done their SD9/10 in Minolta, Pentax and Oly mounts,
they would have picked up considerabe market.

> For what it's worth, here's an example of those 1ccd vs 3ccd stills
> from camcorders; http://tinyurl.com/6b7rq. When converted to black and
> white using the channel mixer the 3ccd stills look *far* better than
> the 1ccd stills, and give more opportunity to play. If I had interest
> in short B&W videography, and I do for a future opportunity (it seems a
> good way to combine my interests in photography and writing), I would
> certainly want a 3CCD camera. The sigma intrigued me today on
> remembering the 3CCD stills I played with lately and then the design of
> the faveon sensor, and I wondered if converting its color images to b&w
> with the channel mixer would give better results than regular cameras,
> since, like the 3ccd camcorders, the 3 colors are recorded separately.
>
> I'm still playing with its raw (x3f) files, so it remains to be seen.
> So far not sure it's worth it.

Regretably, due to the body type that is not likely to survive and being
railroaded into Sigma's limited lens line, I'd say 'thumbs down'.

I'd love to tout Minolta, and I do hope I'm not cast adrift with the Max
7D (somebody 'rumored' an upcoming 5D recently on this or a nearby NG.
If they get that far they'll stick around). But Canon and Nikon are the
safest long term bets right now for DSLR's.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 3:35:44 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

<casioculture@gmail.com> wrote in message

[SNIP

> Yes, I'm referring precisely to the AA batteries. As far as I > know, of
the current DSLRs the fuji s3pro and the pentax
> *ist DS use them,

The *ist D does too, taking either AAs or some other LiION battery in the
body and also in the optional grip.

Peter
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 9:20:54 AM

Alan Browne wrote:
> casioculture@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Alan wrote
> >
> >>Beyond that, the energy density of Li-ion's is better than any AA
> >>Alkaline or NiMH battery. I can shoot for a day and then some with one
> >>Li-ion and a second Li-ion is cheap enough if I thought I needed backup.
> >>

> > Hi Alan, :-)
> >
> > Yes, I'm referring precisely to the AA batteries. As far as I know, of
> > the current DSLRs the fuji s3pro and the pentax *ist DS use them, but
> > none other (though the SD10 does, apparently). I have quite a few of
> > those rechargeables I could fill up a small bag, they keep making them
> > better all the time, are cheap and everywhere, and I certainly have a
> > strong preference for them considering that I won't have to upgrade a
> > camera due to difficulty in finding its batteries in the future, as my
>
> Given that there are literally hundreds of products for which specialty
> batteries are sold by 3rd parties long after the OEM has quit the
> product, this is an area that I feel is not of much concern. I too had
> my reservations but a bit of research put me in the "Li-ion in
> proprietary format is okay" camp. Given the performance of them, and
> from what I can tell so far, no daily 'charge' loss of any noticeable
> amount (vice NiCd/NiMH), I'm very happy.
>
> I use NiMH AA's for my flashes and I keep 5 sets going in rotation
> through my 3 flashes. Best way to do flash (and keep 8 AA's as backup
> in the bag for the day I end up with uncharged NiMH's).
>
> > I must say that for a moment the SD10 seemed a "good enough" fit for my
> > basic needs considering its remarkably low price at the moment; I don't
> > need to pay for things I won't use and if I put two or three cameras
> > from the remains of my collection on ebay I could get one. But its
> > images, from the raw files I downloaded from the net, did not impress
> > me at first instance. Now though, 8 hours later or so, I don't know, I
> > seem to find them less unsatisfactory than I did this morning.
>
> We're very critical. The SD10 is not bad at all (despite what we heap
> on Preddy. But being forced into the Sigma lenses is what draws me
> short. Had Sigma done their SD9/10 in Minolta, Pentax and Oly mounts,
> they would have picked up considerabe market.

I'm not really concerned about lenses. A wide lens and a medium one, or
a zoom, would be all that I would ever need. Besides, their lenses,
unlike, say, the 4/3 lenses by olympus, seem to be on the cheap side.
So it's no harm, and in my earlier years I had much joy from the
cheapos such as ricoh, vivitar, yashica, practika, and so on.

What concerns me though, is that it's now my third occasion playing
with their RAW files in CS2, and I can't see what the positive reviews
regarding its image quality are about. I'm not at all impressed with
what I see; in fact, if anything, I'm a dissatisfied. This is a big
bulky SLR, at least 6 times the weight of my small digicam, at least
twice the cost, yet with, for all I can see, a worse image quality.
This is what I don't get.

> > For what it's worth, here's an example of those 1ccd vs 3ccd stills
> > from camcorders; http://tinyurl.com/6b7rq. When converted to black and
> > white using the channel mixer the 3ccd stills look *far* better than
> > the 1ccd stills, and give more opportunity to play. If I had interest
> > in short B&W videography, and I do for a future opportunity (it seems a
> > good way to combine my interests in photography and writing), I would
> > certainly want a 3CCD camera. The sigma intrigued me today on
> > remembering the 3CCD stills I played with lately and then the design of
> > the faveon sensor, and I wondered if converting its color images to b&w
> > with the channel mixer would give better results than regular cameras,
> > since, like the 3ccd camcorders, the 3 colors are recorded separately.
> >
> > I'm still playing with its raw (x3f) files, so it remains to be seen.
> > So far not sure it's worth it.
>
> Regretably, due to the body type that is not likely to survive and being
> railroaded into Sigma's limited lens line, I'd say 'thumbs down'.
>
> I'd love to tout Minolta, and I do hope I'm not cast adrift with the Max
> 7D (somebody 'rumored' an upcoming 5D recently on this or a nearby NG.
> If they get that far they'll stick around). But Canon and Nikon are the
> safest long term bets right now for DSLR's.
>
> Cheers,
> Alan

> -- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 4:51:35 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

casioculture@gmail.com wrote:

> What concerns me though, is that it's now my third occasion playing
> with their RAW files in CS2, and I can't see what the positive reviews
> regarding its image quality are about. I'm not at all impressed with
> what I see; in fact, if anything, I'm a dissatisfied. This is a big
> bulky SLR, at least 6 times the weight of my small digicam, at least
> twice the cost, yet with, for all I can see, a worse image quality.
> This is what I don't get.

While I really don't know whether it makes a difference, you might try
downloading the Sigma Photo Pro RAW converter from, say,
http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/downloads/index.htm and try using that.

But, as I said, I really have no idea whether it makes a difference in
picture quality. Anyway, it's the program that's delivered with all
Sigma SD cameras and rather easy to use.

Cheers,

-Topi Kuusinen, Finland
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 9:20:43 PM

"Ryadia@Home" <ryadia@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Rob Kelk wrote:
> > On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 21:45:21 +0100, "Hannah" <hannah@example.com> wrote:
> >

> >>"Sarah Molly" <gy5u-mgxh@dea.spamcon.org> wrote in message
> >>
> >>Sarah is Mrs Sarah "Preddy" (Giovanella), wife of "George Preddy" (Steve
> >>Giovanella).
> >>Molly is their daughter.
> >>
> >>The rather strange creature that calls itself George Preddy has not
denied
> >>or refuted this fact.
> >

> > This has absolutely nothing to do with the matter at hand - a proposal
> > to create a new newsgroup. The regulars in news.groups don't care who
> > makes a proposal.
> >
> > What do you think of the proposal to create a rec.photo.equipment.sigma
> > newsgroup?
> >

> I am against creating newsgroups which are basicly proposed by people
> who can't work in existing groups that do the same thing. A Sigma lens
> group I might consider but there is simply not enough Sigma cameras in
> the wild to justify a newsgroup dedicated to them. They are after all a
> digital SLR, no different to a Nikon or Canon or Minolta.

I would imagine there are more Sigma owners than digital rangefinders, yet
there is a newsgroup for digital rangefinders, of which their is only one
model in existence, and in not too great numbers, either.

Patrick
!