snowzsan

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
Not really a question but more of a helpful hint.

Now I own both the CORSAIR H60 and the CORSAIR H100 for two seperate systems. H60 on a Core2 Quad Q6600 and the H100 on a Core i7-2600K, both overclocked. Despite popular belief, these coolers perform above and beyond what I was expecting in terms of actual cooling. But a problem arose while installing both of them... Temps were far too high idle and BSoD under load (in certain configurations). Mind you, this is with OCs on both chips.

After trying multiple thermal compound applications found online using the AS5 and OCZ FREEZE, I've found a method that works FAR better than any others specifically for the CORSAIR HYDRO SERIES coolers.

1: Clean both the CPU surface and the Heatsync surface with rubbing alcohol.
2: DO NOT MILL THE HEATSYNC SURFACE! (Corsair Hrydro series liquid coolers come pre-milled)
3: Ensure the backplate is mounted securely to the mainboard.
4: Apply a small dab of thermal compound to the CPU and spread EVENLY over entire heatplate.
5: Apply a small dab of thermal compound to the Heatsync and spread EVENLY over entire heatplate.
6: Seat the heatsync on the cpu and press firmly together (not too hard though!)
7: Ensure intake and outtake tubes are ABOVE the heatsync (the tubes going into the rad don't matter here, but for reference, mine are going into the bottom) So, on the heatsync, again, ensure the tubes are ABOVE the part that actually rests against the CPU.
8: Secure mounting nuts evenly, turning evenly until secured.
9: Turn on and enjoy lower temps!

The reason it's better to mount the heatsync so the tubes are facing upward is because you'll have more of the actual coldplate applied to the CPU at one time. This is simply due to the design of the CORSAIR HYDRO SERIES pumps. But it is IMPERATIVE the tubes are at the top of the heatsync and NOT the sides, and most certainly NOT the bottom. This method worked on both models of the CORSAIR HYDRO SERIES pumps and worked flawlessly might I add. The reason I applied thermal compound to both the heatsync and the cpu is to ensure a secure connection, the CORSAIR HYDRO SERIES COOLERS don't sit exactly right for some odd reason.

Here's the results I had:

Corsair H60 w/ Core2 Quad Q6600 OCed @ 3.6GHz
Bottom mounted tubes: Idle - 55C / Load - BSoD
Side mounted tubes: Idle - 51C / Load - 87C
Top mounted tubes: Idle 31C / Load - 67C
(All with the same thermal application)

Corsair H100 w/ Core i7-2600K OCed @ 4.4GHz
Bottom mounted tubes: Idle 51C / Load 88C
Side mounted tubes: Idle 45C / Load 72C
Top mounted tubes: Idle 26C / Load 57C

These are my results with the current set up. Hope this helps others.

Mehymore

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012

Thank you for sharing your nice experience. But Could you please show it with photos? What do you mean with side or bottom? Bottom of the CPU or Bottom of the case? Botoom with respect to the gravity?

Regards,
MD

Mehymore

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012

Thank you for sharing your nice experience. But Could you please show it with photos? What do you mean with side or bottom? Bottom of the CPU or Bottom of the case? Botoom with respect to the gravity?

Regards,
MD

Mehymore

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
Not really a question but more of a helpful hint.

Now I own both the CORSAIR H60 and the CORSAIR H100 for two seperate systems. H60 on a Core2 Quad Q6600 and the H100 on a Core i7-2600K, both overclocked. Despite popular belief, these coolers perform above and beyond what I was expecting in terms of actual cooling. But a problem arose while installing both of them... Temps were far too high idle and BSoD under load (in certain configurations). Mind you, this is with OCs on both chips.

After trying multiple thermal compound applications found online using the AS5 and OCZ FREEZE, I've found a method that works FAR better than any others specifically for the CORSAIR HYDRO SERIES coolers.

1: Clean both the CPU surface and the Heatsync surface with rubbing alcohol.
2: DO NOT MILL THE HEATSYNC SURFACE! (Corsair Hrydro series liquid coolers come pre-milled)
3: Ensure the backplate is mounted securely to the mainboard.
4: Apply a small dab of thermal compound to the CPU and spread EVENLY over entire heatplate.
5: Apply a small dab of thermal compound to the Heatsync and spread EVENLY over entire heatplate.
6: Seat the heatsync on the cpu and press firmly together (not too hard though!)
7: Ensure intake and outtake tubes are ABOVE the heatsync (the tubes going into the rad don't matter here, but for reference, mine are going into the bottom) So, on the heatsync, again, ensure the tubes are ABOVE the part that actually rests against the CPU.
8: Secure mounting nuts evenly, turning evenly until secured.
9: Turn on and enjoy lower temps!

The reason it's better to mount the heatsync so the tubes are facing upward is because you'll have more of the actual coldplate applied to the CPU at one time. This is simply due to the design of the CORSAIR HYDRO SERIES pumps. But it is IMPERATIVE the tubes are at the top of the heatsync and NOT the sides, and most certainly NOT the bottom. This method worked on both models of the CORSAIR HYDRO SERIES pumps and worked flawlessly might I add. The reason I applied thermal compound to both the heatsync and the cpu is to ensure a secure connection, the CORSAIR HYDRO SERIES COOLERS don't sit exactly right for some odd reason.

Here's the results I had:

Corsair H60 w/ Core2 Quad Q6600 OCed @ 3.6GHz
Bottom mounted tubes: Idle - 55C / Load - BSoD
Side mounted tubes: Idle - 51C / Load - 87C
Top mounted tubes: Idle 31C / Load - 67C
(All with the same thermal application)

Corsair H100 w/ Core i7-2600K OCed @ 4.4GHz
Bottom mounted tubes: Idle 51C / Load 88C
Side mounted tubes: Idle 45C / Load 72C
Top mounted tubes: Idle 26C / Load 57C

These are my results with the current set up. Hope this helps others.

Mehymore

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
I am Sorry, After I pressed the submit botoom, there was an error, so I repeated to press the submit bottom and *** happened. Now I am not able to delete the repeated replies!

snowzsan

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011

Bottom of the CPU. Meaning you don't want the tubes at the bottom of the heatsync. You want them at the top. The rad itself you want on the rear exhaust with the Corsair H60 and you want a case designed for a dual rad for the H100 so you can mount it at the top. I didn't experiment with the rad in different positions so go crazy and let me know! I do use a push-pull on exhaust with both rads. I'm sure if you had them on intake it'd work fine but think of negative pressure, or even positive pressure depending on your current fan setup.

If I knew where my digital camera was (I don't own a cellphone... never saw the point) I'd take pictures. Maybe tomorrow I can after I get back from work I'll ask a friend if I can borrow theirs and upload pics then.

snowzsan

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
scaled.php

Here's a diagram.