Sign in with
Your question
Solved

1st time builder, buying and building tomorrow!

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
March 13, 2012 10:09:39 AM

Hey guys, i just need a hand with the last few bits and pieces in my build,

I'm working unpaid 5 days a week in my internship so I'm on a bit of a budget and since my computer died last week and tomorrow is my only day off i need to build it right away to keep up with my assignments (as well as gaming, i mean i need to keep sane somehow right?)

The plan:

Mobo ASROCK Z68 EXTREME3 GEN3
CPU i5 2500k
GPU Gainward GTX560Ti Phantom 1G
HD OCZ Agility3 60gb and i have an old 500gb WD scorpio black from my laptop, can i put that in???

Dont know what PSU to buy but ill be going SLi in the years to come once i have money lol so can you recommend a modest budget, quality PSU for me??

RAM not sure...

Case Not sure....

Im buying in Western Australia and ill be using the website staticice to find the cheapest available price for parts from all the stores.

So anyway, all help is accepted and gratefully received!

Cheers

More about : 1st time builder buying building tomorrow

a c 90 B Homebuilt system
March 13, 2012 11:24:17 AM

OCZ Agility3 60gb and old 2.5" 500gb WD Scorpio Black will work together OK.

You'll want to be sure to get a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter unless your case choice has 2.5" HDD/SSD rails included.
m
l
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
March 13, 2012 11:26:44 AM

What kind of budget do you have left for the PSU/RAM/Case?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
March 13, 2012 12:18:25 PM

WR2 said:
What kind of budget do you have left for the PSU/RAM/Case?

This we need to know. If you need more cash, you can drop down to an i3-2120 and save $100 without hurting your gaming performance much/at all.

I'm limited more by my 560Ti than by my CPU; I had a 2500K previously but traded it for an i3 for the extra cash since all I do is game right now ;) 
March 13, 2012 12:37:31 PM

Thanks for the quick reply!

OK well i want to keep it under $1000 if possible and i dont need keyboard, mouse, monitor etc.

Ill chuck the prices in so you guys can get a feel for how its shaping up =-)

Mobo ASROCK Z68 EXTREME3 GEN3 - $125
CPU i5 2500k - $209
GPU Gainward GTX560Ti Phantom 1G - $264.33
HD OCZ Agility3 60gb - $109

Sub $707.33

My main query with the ram is what MHz i should buy, should i buy DDR3 1333, 1600 or 2000 MHz??
Im thinking - 8Gb DDR3 Corsair 2X4Gb 1600Mhz Kit Vengeance Performance CL9 for $59

Ill go sli when i need more juice so i figured the 2500k is a good choice =D So im guessing my PSU should be 750W or so? which of the coolermaster/antec lines stand out as being the best in this wattage at a low price?
Im thinking Cooler Master 720W Silent Pro Modular II for $125
OR 750W "Corsair" TX-750v2 ATX Power Supply $141 Or 750W "Corsair" TX-750 ATX Power Supply $159 (whats the difference?)

As far as a case is concerned... Antec Three Hundred for $60 ??? do you have to buy a special case with USB3 ports or does any old port work when u plug it all in? ASROCK Z68 EXTREME3 GEN3 is a USB3 mobo right??

Oh and im putting a wireless card in too, is there anything i need to watch out for??? or will any do?

hahah so i guess thats a whole lot more detail for you all, hope it helps!
m
l
March 13, 2012 2:42:06 PM

Best answer selected by 07tonzpau.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 13, 2012 3:17:19 PM

Quote:
My main query with the ram is what MHz i should buy, should i buy DDR3 1333, 1600 or 2000 MHz??
Im thinking - 8Gb DDR3 Corsair 2X4Gb 1600Mhz Kit Vengeance Performance CL9 for $59

1600 MHz is the standard speed, but you won't notice a difference at 1333. Unless there's a huge difference, you're probably better off with the 1600 kit. What you have listed works - just make sure your RAM runs at 1.5V - some of the low and high voltage kits (~1.3 and 1.65) have issues with the Z68/P67 platform.

Quote:
Ill go sli when i need more juice so i figured the 2500k is a good choice =D So im guessing my PSU should be 750W or so? which of the coolermaster/antec lines stand out as being the best in this wattage at a low price?

750W is about right for SLIed 560Tis. I would get either the Corsair TX750V2 or a solid Antec. Cooler Master is iffy unless you go for their Gold Series, and you may be able to find a good deal on the PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 Mk II.

Quote:
As far as a case is concerned... Antec Three Hundred for $60

The Antec 300 is *ok*. I owned one for a while and it does work but is a bit bland. The NZXT Source 210 Elite may actually be a better buy - I think it's roughly the same size, but has some nice toolless features. Otherwise the HAF 912 is a better option.

Quote:
do you have to buy a special case with USB3 ports or does any old port work when u plug it all in? ASROCK Z68 EXTREME3 GEN3 is a USB3 mobo right??

I'm pretty sure they have to be updated connectors, so I would check that before buying a case.

Quote:
Oh and im putting a wireless card in too, is there anything i need to watch out for??? or will any do?

I've had good luck with Asus and TP-LINK. Just make sure it's well reviewed on a site like Newegg, and matches the slot you want to use on the motherboard (PCI, PCI Express x1, etc).
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 13, 2012 3:40:58 PM

absolutely reuse any parts that are still good from the old PC (HDD, case unless it was a dell or HP, fans, CD drive, keys, mouse, monitor, etc.)

For the HDD you will have the option of using the OCZ as a system drive +most used programs and put everything else on the 500GB, or using Intel's RST ssd caching. The advantage to SSD caching is that you have a single large HDD to install everything on which is easier to manage, and then the programs that are most used get moved to the SSD and get a huge performance boost, but not as much of a boost as if it was running native on the SSD. If you choose the first option of 2 separate drives then you will have to be more careful about where you install things because you do not want to fill up an SSD (or HDD for that matter) more than 80%.

With the SLi you will want a power supply in the 700-800W range. I would stick with the onboard GPU for a few weeks until the nVidia 600 series is released which is supposed to be ~3x faster than the 500 series (granted time and benchmarks will tell if this is true or not... I have my doubts, but it is still worth waiting for). Otherwise I would actually go with the AMD 7000 series (which is a shock as I am a rather big fan of nVidia), unless you need CUDA for some reason.

OCZ makes some decent power supplies these days (in spite of what crap they have put out in the past) and have a killer rebate right now. Whatever you get, be sure that it is 80+ Bronze or better. Modular is nice, especially if you have a show-off case, but if you are not trying to pick up the ladies with your sweet rig (it never works anyways... I tried) then I would suggest sticking with a standard PSU.

Extreme3 Gen3 has USB3 (I own it, it works great), but not front panel USB3 connectors, so you do not need the USB3 front port on the case, or if you get a case with a front USB3 then it will need a pass-through plug to hook into one of the back ports on the motherboard... which is something you could do with a USB2 port as well if you wanted to. For a good basic case I would look at the Thermaltake V3 Black (which I have for my editing rig, and it is great for being only $40), or a Cooler Master Elite for $50. Otherwise I would look into some of the 'real' cases like the Corsair 600T that is taunting me right now with a $30 rebate (sigh... the rebate on the case I want is as much as I spent on the case I own).

Ram prices must be going up... in the fall I got Corsair 16GB of DDR3 1333 for $70 after rebate. 8GB is a good amount for gaming (I have 16GB for video editing... gaming only uses ~4-5GB), and 1600 is what you want... but $60 sounds a little high.... wait... we are not talking USD are we... so I'm not sure how the conversion works out. Suffice to say you picked the right stuff and it will work well for you.

For wireless just be sure to not skimp out. they will all get the job done (especially with N), but if you can find one that is duel band, and preferably with a cisco chip (read: Linksys) then it would be better. Obviously, if you are connecting to a crappy wireless router then it doesn't matter what kind of crappy card you buy. If getting wireless G then consider getting an antenna extension so you can get the antenna on top of your desk, but N does not seem to suffer from the same range issues.
m
l
March 13, 2012 3:48:56 PM

lol I get a kick out of some of the recomendations you all suggest...

Telling the man to wait for kepler...he doesn't have money. That would surely eat up the remaining budget.

Go with xfx antec corsair for your psu. Much better quality over the OCZ brand.

If your router/internet blows...wireless will be very painful.

On a 100$ budget I would be skipping a SSD for now and not worrying about SLI unless you go for 2x 460's or 6870/6850's. Imo not worth it.
m
l
!