dillondeysel23

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
hey guys got a weird issue get nothing on the subject. :heink: basically I once got a cooler master v6 gt as a gift awesome cooler but totally unnecessary tough but that doesn't matter. about a year or so ago i bought a new motherboard a gigabyte g41mt-s2 I had a celeron dual core back then and when i came to installing everything the cooler as well I placed the cooler so that the direction of airflow goes toward the top of my case it fitted nicely but the pc did not boot turned out i fried my cpu sum how so i bought a new one Pentium dual core e 6700 I know its small for the size of the cooler but the v6gt was a gift so why not use it. when installing the new cpu i placed the cooler so that the direction of airflow is to the back of my case. the way it usually gets mounted and all was well. a couple of days ago i turned it again so that the airflow is once again toward the top of my case. I had huge drop in performance and the CPU made a buzzing sound almost like coil whine in fear i might lose it I turned the cooler back to the way it was when all was well. and what do u know everything is fine. its strange how this happens i have never seen anything like it. please enlighten me to what it is if anyone knows

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
My first thought, from your description of the sound, is that the fan motor on the cooler is loosing its magnetic center when it is in the 'facing up' direction. When you re-position it to horz, it is able to re-center itself to magnetic center and runs normally. The bottom line, is that the cooler fan motor sounds like it is defective.

dillondeysel23

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I once removed both fans from the cooler it was definitely the cpu I thing maby the screws of the cooler mounts scratch the motherboards pcb and just make some problems that way by in essence causing a short circuit but not that bad