great_captain

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Hi all,

For a few weeks now my GPU (Sparkle Calibre GTX580 Thermal Guru - stock clocks) has been making a fairly quiet 'electronic buzzing' kind of noise. It only does it when I'm playing games, and will stop if I pause. It seems to be linked to how hard the GPU is having to work (i.e. playing Crysis 2 will result in fairly loud buzzing whilst Half-Life 2 is much quieter). It's definitely not the fans, I've checked and double checked, it's coming from the GPU itself. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated; I basically just want to know if it could be damaging my system at all. I'm pretty sure it wasn't doing it for the first few months of owning the card, unless it was and I just wasn't paying attention. Aha.

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

I'm guessing you already removed and re-seated the card. You could do what we used to do when checking cars in the old days (only don't use a screwdriver) :) . Using a never sharpened pencil the next time you hear the buzzing touch the top of each of the cards fans and see where the buzz is the loudest. That fan's mount might be the problem. If there is a good connection between your card and socket it shouldn't hurt your system. Just an idea.

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

If its not the gpu fans and the card is seated properly and it only happens in certain situations (actions) I'm guessing its a diode or chip on your gpu board that only "vibrates" at specific frequencies. It may have come loose because of a bad design placement or heat reaction. Both you and the youtube guy are using NVidia cards which tend to warm up a bit (it hurts me to say it 'cause I'm a "green" fan - mainly because of driver issues with "red"). If that's the case I don't know what you can do about it. Sorry.:(