Display cloning

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • TV
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 9, 2012 9:16:00 AM

Hi.
I'm about to purchase the new hd 7970 and with it a 10m hdmi cable.
My plan is to run both my desktop via dvi and my 42' lcd tv via hdmi from the same card.
So I can sit back and watch youtube, movies and play non white knuckle games such as skyrim on the big tv from the couch and more intense games such as sc2 and battlefield 3 on my desk.

Can I clone both screens from the card? If so will there be any performance issues? Is there more to it than simply sonnecting the inputs to the tv/monitor?

-Cheers.

More about : display cloning

a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2012 9:33:45 AM

It will default to that setting when you plug in both. and there is zero performance hit.
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
January 9, 2012 10:13:43 AM

Go to the AMD control panel and they should have an option to ''clone display''.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2012 1:38:25 PM

10m HDMI cable is something to worry about. If they do have a 10m cable then it has to be really good quality cable, that's the tricky bit.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2012 7:45:20 PM

I've read of people using 50 foot HDMI cables. YMMV.

It should work, but if you notice artifacts (like weird pixels, off colors, missing colors, lack of brightness) you might want to try a different higher quality cable (although the one you listed should be fine).

One more thing - keep the HDMI cable away from any power sources to reduce electrical noise / EM (power strip bar, electronics, UPS, anything that requires electricity).
m
l
!