Sign in with
Your question

System Overhaul

Last response: in Systems
March 13, 2012 2:16:02 PM

Hi guys i'm looking to get myself a new system for around £500-£700, I'm a game design student at uni and this is my final year so im looking to get a PC that will work well with 3D applications and gaming, also would like a little future proofing hence the PCIe3 board and I hear a new CPU will be available for 1155 socket mobo's too so heres what im looking to get -

CPU - Intel Core i7-2700K 3.5GHz LGA1155 8MB (picked this over 2600k as and when the new CPU's are due it will have a higher resale value)

MoBo - Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 (my current board is an asus P5E and its served me well for nearly 5 years, so asus would be preffered)

RAM - Corsair 16GB (4x4GB) Vengeance Blue DDR3 1600MHz DIMM 240-pin CL9 Low Profile (Low profile as the size issue with CPU coolers and Ram heat-sinks scare the living kak out of me, i also picked 16gb as apps like ZBrush eat this up like its candy)

SSD - OCZ 128GB Petrol Series SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" (use it for boot and favorite game/apps i.e. battlefield and 3DsMax)

CPU Cooler - Zalman Extreme PWM CPU Tower Cooler 120mm (the cooler is open to debate, im looking for good cooling for perhaps an OC to 4ghz, but i also have to live with this PC every day so quieter is better and i dont really want to spend anything over £50)

I already have -

Case - NZXT phantom full tower

GPU - Nvidia 580msi 3GB lightning extreme edition

HDD - 1x2TB sata 2, 1x500GB sata 2

OS - Win7 professional 32/64bit

PSU - Corsair 1200W pro series

and a CD Drive.

Can anyone foresee any problems with this build? as I cant afford for anything catastrophic to happen as i'm upgrading in the middle of term time.

Thanks.

More about : system overhaul

a b à CPUs
March 13, 2012 3:09:49 PM

Looks like you did your homework, however one note. Expecting decent resale value of any SB based chips after IVB launches is probably a mistake. Anybody who could use a 2700k could also use one of the new IVB chips, so you'll probably have to price it below the IVB 2500k equivalent for anybody to consider it.

If you're looking at a quick upgrade to IVB once it launches, I'd recommend getting a much cheaper CPU, like the 2500k, to minimize your loss when you upgrade.
March 13, 2012 6:19:50 PM

thanks for input.

Can you recommend any other CPU coolers? as this is the part of build im most unsure about as there seems to be a lot of Coolers doing the same job for the same price at the same DBl level.

any suggestions?

Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 14, 2012 1:39:08 AM

The Hyper 212 seems to be the go-to air cooler for just about anything these days. Never used it myself, but I hear great things.
March 14, 2012 2:06:27 AM

ive used the 212 its great and tends to be inexpensive...a winning combo.
!