XFX HD 7970 Black Edition...

deadjon

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
I think its wonderful that XFX have released a Non-Black Black Edition Card. I love the below par performance and mediocre Overclocking headroom that the name 'Black Edition' is related with! If it was a 7970k...
Okay I'm not here to start a flame war.
Shame that XFXs cooling solutions tend to be below par compared to pretty much all the other non-reference coolers. Imma waiting for a Twin Frozr version - they're sexy.

beltzy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
I don't think the card is a bad product. The reduced noise at load alone may be worth the extra $50 for a lot of users, let alone the fact that they supposedly binned for more OC'able gpu's.

It's not better in ALL the ways you would want a custom (sort of, cough cough) cooled card to be, but it is nice that there's a non-reference option on day 1. I don't think there are any arguments that other, more-thoroughly developed non-ref cards will be better.

deadjon

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009

Apart from the fact that XFX Cards are usually the cheap and cheerful choice for cards, generally okay performance (I'd buy a GTX460 from them eg.) but I wouldnt trust them with £480 of my cash

liquidchild

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
All your comments strike me as odd. Cheap this, bad product that, ITS 100% REPLACEABLE AT NO COST TO YOU! I had a xxx 5770 that started messing up after 2 years of service and they sent me back a 6850. That alone makes up for any overclock issues. BTW all brands have the same gpu how could it be below par performance? You take your 3% bump due to review error, I'll take my new, BETTER card if the one I bought breaks.

deadjon

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009

Huh? The XFX PCB is usually of lower quality as is their aftermarket cooling solution.

Compare an ASUS DCUII 6950 to an XFX Version.

The ASUS Card will bring higher overall clocks and lower temps than the XFX Version - making it a better card. its that simple.

liquidchild

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
"The ASUS Card will bring higher overall clocks and lower temps than the XFX Version - making it a better card. its that simple." Link the shootout your getting your info from Please. Asus cards cost a LOT more and I have never heard that XFX reference coolers being worse then any other stock cooler. Right now the stock asus costs 590 bucks and the overclocked XFX runs 599.

beltzy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
Let's play nice. I've not heard that XFX are a cheap non-ref maker, though I've only owned a reference HD 5850 from them (somebody buy this thing already). I think the review of the Black Edition 7970 (from Anandtech) specifically said it was great build quality with very solid fit and finish (gogo brushed aluminum).

I'm not a fan of buying more expensive non-ref cards. I typically go for the best deals as long as the product doesn't have horrible reviews- seems a better value proposition from my POV.

RussK1

Splendid
I've been buying XFX cards for the last few years... register the card and get double lifetime warrantee (so much for "cheap" huh?) I have XFX BE XXX 6950's and I can reach 1ghz on air (although hot). So the people spouting at the mouth and doing exactly that. These are the people that lock themselves into a box and strictly swear by Asus and Gigabyte as if there's no other manufacturers.

[flash=640,360]http://www.youtube.com/v/_UIOVDbPvvY?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0&hd=1[/flash]
[flash=640,360]http://www.youtube.com/v/wsQ6B4_UY1Y?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0&hd=1[/flash]

beltzy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
Lol why are you "so pissed". The warranty on any cards previously sold is still honored so they're not pulling the rug out from anyone. Single lifetime is still far and away better than any other vendor (3 years is considered long).

I'm not saying it's a good thing that it's gone- I'm selling an XFX 5850 and the double lifetime is a great selling point. I just understand how that's a substantial future liability for XFX and it may be the right move from a business perspective.

RussK1

Splendid

+1 [:russwood1488:7]