Sign in with
Your question

New build, first in 7 years, seeking input

Last response: in Systems
March 13, 2012 5:09:00 PM

I haven't built a new PC in about 7 years and I'm way over due.

My current system (keep in mind, originally built in 04-05)
P4 3.0 GHz
Intel PBZ875 mobo (800mHz FSB)
2gb Kingston HyperX ddr2 (4 512mb sticks)
Radeon 3450HD (in AGP 8)
Audigy 2 sound card (2.1 speakers)
2x 120gb WD HDD (5200 platter/old SATA)
Saitek gamers keyboard
Razer Diamondback mouse
19" triniton .22 CRT monitor
Antec true blue 500w psu

Well, it still does the trick, just not so much for gaming. Found out just how much it was behind when started lagging out even with everything turned down. So that leads me to my new build. Trying to keep it on the cheap without sacrificing too much. Budget is around $800 for initial build with upgrades/add-ons in mind for the future.

Here is what I'm thinking so far:
AMD FX 6100 Zambezi 3.3 six core 95w
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 mobo
Gskillz Ripjaws 8gb (2 4gb sticks) ddr3
Evga 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti FPB 1gb (pcie 2.0)
WD Cavier Black 7200 rpm 6.0 SATA 1TB

Also thinking of getting Cooler Master HAR 932 Advanced full tower to put it all in. My current box is mid sized and is designed for small noisy 80mm fans only. I'm considering keeping the monitor for the time being with a new HD monitor to be purchased soon after completion. Do I need an independent audio card or should the onboard be sufficient? Also, what about 3rd party CPU Hsf? Having trouble finding one for AM3+ is it the same as am3/2? Is it worth getting bluray for optical or would DVD suffice? Also, will my current psu be enough? I actually bought it about 3.5 years ago.

Let me know what you guys think about what I've chosen, how well they work, work together, performance, etc. I know almost anything is going to be better than my old comp by today's standards, but I'm hoping to make one strong enough to play modern games smoothly and on fairly high detail.

Thanks a bunch guys!
March 13, 2012 5:20:06 PM

If you're getting an FX cpu, the 4100 is the best choice as it performs equal to the 6100 and get a cooler if you're planning on overclocking the cpu. A 6850/6870 or gtx560 is best card for that system. Would you consider an intel cpu? If your main purpose is gaming, intel clearly has the better solution here
March 13, 2012 5:24:03 PM

I've always belonged to the intel school. However due to friends love on
amd and their seemingly cheaper price I considered using amd for the first time. But Ive always enjoyed intel. Is the difference that significant these days?
Also, the 4100 is only quad core where the 6100 is six core, am I being sold on marketing or is 6 core not significantly better than 4?
Related resources
March 13, 2012 5:28:51 PM

For gaming, yes. It takes an FX4100 @4.5GHz to just match a similar price i3-2100. It's the same on other FX cpu's. Most games is still optimized for dual core cpu's with only a couple of exceptions and no games uses 6 cores
March 13, 2012 5:43:25 PM

Here is a system I would recommend for you. It's $728 after rebates but without a chassis

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/5FsX

For a great price case, have a look at the bitfenix shinobi for around $60
March 13, 2012 5:51:40 PM

As a couple of recent articles on Tom's make clear, there is no longer any price point at which Intel does not outperform AMD for gaming. Sad, but true.
With a budget of $800, you should be able to build a nice system. The games you want to play will determine how much GPU power you need. I would not get less than a HD6870 or GTX560 unless you also need to buy a monitor and Windows; that means you'd have essentially a $550 budget. There is a sticky at the top of the New Builds forum on how to ask for new build advice. Please use that template for the most relevant and useful advice.
March 13, 2012 6:41:56 PM

I was an AMD fan too but Intel has the upper hand right now so I went Intel and I am really happy I did. So keep it Intel, even if it is an i3 2100 you won´t regret it.
!