Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Having problems - any help?

Last response: in Systems
March 13, 2012 5:09:54 PM

Hey, could really use some advice.

I built a computer about a year ago and I've been having some problems. To start with about 4 months ago my computer would randomly die, then restart then die again straight away. I figured it was the PSU so I replaced it and the problem went away. But recently I've been having the same problem, and just now the computer made a very loaded high pitched (interference like) noise through the SPEAKERS and then died, restarted, I would try to do something again and the same thing would happen.

I'm really not sure what the problem is, any help would be greatly appreciated.

My specs -
BeQuiet 500w 80Plus bronze PSU
i3 540 (no oc)
Gigabyte h55m-ud2h
Nvidia gt 430
4gb of Kingston ram

More about : problems

March 13, 2012 6:22:54 PM

sounds like a heat issue, do you have room for another fan or two maybe a vga cooler. did you make sure your heat sink is seated properly. i would not take it off (unless you had some thermal compound) just make sure the push pins are locked in place. ground your self then gently grab the heat sink and see if it wiggles if it is loose usually is only on and a corner will lift up without much effort be gentle.
m
l
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
March 13, 2012 6:32:17 PM

Agreed with Randini, heat could be an issue.

What is your case, how many fans are there, what sizes, and which directions are they facing?
m
l
Related resources
March 13, 2012 6:58:01 PM

I hadn't thought of this as I checked my temps and generally they were fine, I have a case with 2 x 88mm fans, one at the back as exhaust and one on the side as intake.
m
l
March 13, 2012 8:00:08 PM

Please list the case maker and model.
m
l
March 13, 2012 8:37:56 PM

It was an unbranded OEM case that I bought from pc world that came with no documentation. Sorry as I guess that's not much help.
m
l
March 14, 2012 12:06:12 AM

How much did it cost approximately?

Is the PSU on the top or the bottom of the case?
m
l
March 14, 2012 6:46:13 AM

Cost £10, PSU is in the top, with fan facing down.
m
l

Best solution

March 14, 2012 11:51:24 AM

I would like you to read a 2 part article and then come back in here and then we can discuss the issue further.

They aren't long, and I think they will help you a lot.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-airflow-hea...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-air-pressur...
March 14, 2012 12:20:27 PM

dathtom said:
Hey, could really use some advice.

I built a computer about a year ago and I've been having some problems. To start with about 4 months ago my computer would randomly die, then restart then die again straight away. I figured it was the PSU so I replaced it and the problem went away. But recently I've been having the same problem, and just now the computer made a very loaded high pitched (interference like) noise through the SPEAKERS and then died, restarted, I would try to do something again and the same thing would happen.

I'm really not sure what the problem is, any help would be greatly appreciated.

My specs -
BeQuiet 500w 80Plus bronze PSU
i3 540 (no oc)
Gigabyte h55m-ud2h
Nvidia gt 430
4gb of Kingston ram

If you can borrow a RAM, try replacing it. It might be the RAM
m
l
March 14, 2012 12:34:52 PM

Quote:
If you can borrow a RAM, try replacing it. It might be the RAM

I have 2 sticks of memory, and have tried using the system with either sitck, and after a while the same problem persisted.

Quote:
I would like you to read a 2 part article and then come back in here and then we can discuss the issue further.

They aren't long, and I think they will help you a lot.

I read the article and have decided to look into buyying a better case - was thinking about the Corsair Carbide 400R, is this a good choice?
m
l
March 14, 2012 12:44:32 PM

Carbide 400R is a reasonable choice.

More popular ones in the same price range are the Cooler Master HAF 912 and the Antec Illusion 300.

- Edit - I just wanted to point out that there are so many case makers out there and good deals are available. I got my PC-K59 for $60 shipped myself (black friday deal, regular $100). It may be worth your time to look around for good deals rather than just taking one of those 3.

- Edit 2 - I am not a Raidmax fan, but the Raidmax Quantum is normally $70 and available for $40 with free shipping right now. It certainly isn't a popular case, but if you need to keep the cost down it might be worth getting. I can't vouch for how good it is, though. The popular ones are popular because they are the best in class a lot of the times.

Apevia has a lot of markdowns right now, but they usually don't include free shipping and this brand is kinda even worse than Raidmax, I would avoid those.

The HAF 912 is actually $10 off right now, so that may be the best deal you will get on a really good case.

Just glancing through a few listings that is all that really jumped out at me.

- Edit 3 - I just wanted to point out that if it is indeed the fact that the current case is making it too hot in the PSU and because of that the wattage the PSU can put out is too low for the system (which seems likely) then the damage to the 2nd PSU and maybe even some other internal components may already be done.

It would be sad if something else was already too far gone from heat buildup to function in a new case, but it is indeed a possibility at this point. In any event, a good case would at least help to make sure you don't have to replace something a 3rd time soon.
m
l
March 14, 2012 3:23:08 PM

Thank you very much for all your help, I'm afraid I live in the UK, do some of those prices don't apply to me, and in my experience things are generally much more expensive over here. I will be looking at getting a new case, but do you think the wattage of my PSU is too low for my system - I used a calculator and it said I had enough room for maybe even a GTX 560 in there as well without running into issues.
m
l
March 14, 2012 6:39:51 PM

Take what you can get I guess. I gave you the tools to choose. If you come up with 2 or 3 options you are considering I can tell you which one I would pick for what price.

That being said, BeQuiet is not a brand I trust. I can't guarantee anything in regards to how it will perform in practice.

It should be fine, I would think, once it is bottom mounted in a good case.

The brand is much more important than the wattage in regards to what a PSU can do. If it was a BeQuiet 1000w, I might trust it a little more to be able to handle it, but still less than an XFX 450w that I know I can trust to deliver the power it says it does.
m
l
March 14, 2012 6:49:56 PM

Best answer selected by dathtom.
m
l
March 14, 2012 6:50:32 PM

Thank you so much for all your help!!
m
l
!