Gigabit NIC slow upload on 1.0Gbps, but ok on 100 Mbps

Tags:
  • LAN
  • Routers
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
March 28, 2011 10:08:22 PM

Hello,

I have a PC with an onboard Realtek 8168 PCIe Gigabit connected to a D-Link 655 Gigabit router.

Here's the odd situation: when speed/duplex is set to 100Mbps, my upload speed using www.Speedtest.net is fine (~3.0 Mbps). However, when I switched it over to 1.0Gbps, it goes down all the way to 0.06 Mbps. Download speed is generally unaffected.

I can't tell which is the likely culprit!

Onboard NIC faulty/underpowered?
Faulty cable (highly doubt, I've tried 5+)?
Or is it a matter of settings? I turned off QoS and WISH on the router, but it didn't do much.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Nick

More about : gigabit nic slow upload 0gbps 100 mbps

March 22, 2012 3:38:59 PM

nicbizz said:
Hello,

I have a PC with an onboard Realtek 8168 PCIe Gigabit connected to a D-Link 655 Gigabit router.

Here's the odd situation: when speed/duplex is set to 100Mbps, my upload speed using www.Speedtest.net is fine (~3.0 Mbps). However, when I switched it over to 1.0Gbps, it goes down all the way to 0.06 Mbps. Download speed is generally unaffected.

I can't tell which is the likely culprit!

Onboard NIC faulty/underpowered?
Faulty cable (highly doubt, I've tried 5+)?
Or is it a matter of settings? I turned off QoS and WISH on the router, but it didn't do much.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Nick

Have you found a remedy for this yet? I have same hardware and a very similar problem.
m
l
March 22, 2012 7:02:28 PM

Both of you updated the drives on that card to the very latest ones?
m
l
Related resources
March 29, 2012 3:51:49 AM

Yup, I did.

After a little bit more research on the Interwebs, it turns out this is a somewhat common problem with on-board NIC cards, specifically those using RealTek drivers.

Perhaps its RealTek thats at fault entirely -- I plugged in a stand-alone TP-Link NIC (that uses RealTek drivers), still the same problem. Switching it to an Intel NIC (with different drivers) did the trick.

Hope it helps.

-Nick
m
l
March 29, 2012 10:16:25 AM

If you can, try to borrow a NIC that uses different drivers from your existing one, and see if it works.
m
l