Zboy2k12

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Hi everyone,

I'm a first time poster but I often come to these forums for information. Upon finishing my build I got no response from anything. Nothing from the psu, motherboard, or anything else. I went through every step in the (www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems) to no avail.

My components:
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
i5-2500k lga1155 cpu
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 HSF
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
OCZ ZX Series 850W Fully-Modular 80PLUS Gold High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory
NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower Computer Case

First I went through and just installed everything into the case. When I plugged everything in and tried to power up the system nothing happened at all. The psu fan didn't even move.
1. I tested the psu first since I've read that is a more common issue. I switched the psu above for a 450w rosewill (that works in my other computer) and still nothing. Just to dbl check I plugged in the ocz 850w into my computer that is working and it powered up fine.
2. I came to this site to check for a solution and found the "steps to perform" website listed above. I went through everything the on the list.
3. I removed everything from the motherboard and inspected the components to make sure I hadn't bent any pins or damaged anything. Everything looks great!
4. I went to the breadboarding thread and soaked all that up. I installed the 2500k and the hyper 212+ to the mobo along with the speaker. I plugged in the ocz power supply to the motherboard (made sure the 24 pin and the 8 pin were both seated/secured), turned on the power supply and hit the power button on the motherboard...and nothing happens. Still not even the fan on the psu spins. Just to do another check I pulled the 450w rosewill and plugged that in instead and again no response.

I'm thinking it is a faulty motherboard. Am I correct to assume that? I was going to just send it back for an exchange but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything before I do. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
A faulty motherboard can cause all kinds of random problems. It is entirely possible that a computer with a DOA motherboard would show no signs of life when you try to turn it on.

There are two sides of any connection, either side can be broken.

If you want to see how a faulty motherboard can keep a computer from coming on, go to one of those pawn shop places with dozens of computers from the 1980s in the back for $10 and get one, then rip the 20/24 pin connector off the motherboard and try to turn it on.

Even if the PSU is working 100%, I guarantee you that it will not come on, even if the power cord is plugged securely into the 20/24 pin connector.

kcsmacker

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
sounds to me like its the motherboard. I have never had a faulty one so no personal experience but maybe someone else would have more experience with it, however I do not know what else it could be...

Good luck and sorry your having trouble

A faulty motherboard can cause all kinds of random problems. It is entirely possible that a computer with a DOA motherboard would show no signs of life when you try to turn it on.

There are two sides of any connection, either side can be broken.

If you want to see how a faulty motherboard can keep a computer from coming on, go to one of those pawn shop places with dozens of computers from the 1980s in the back for $10 and get one, then rip the 20/24 pin connector off the motherboard and try to turn it on.

Even if the PSU is working 100%, I guarantee you that it will not come on, even if the power cord is plugged securely into the 20/24 pin connector.

Solution

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

You might have misunderstood me. I know a DOA mobo will "show no signs of life". What I'm asking is would the PSU show no signs of life? I mean no fans (on the PSU) running - nothing? And why?

Zboy2k12

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Thanks for the quick responses, as far as the other computer I'm using (it is a bit old) the components are:

AMD Phenom II x4 805
AMD 780g motherboard chipset
8gb DDR2
Radeon HD 5450
Rosewill 450w psu (RD 450-2DB)

It is a Gateway DX4300-11 that I replaced the power supply on (I was running the hell out of it and figured it could use a better one than stock) and I slapped a 5450 for some casual gaming. I'm having trouble finding the exact model and names of the parts in the gateway, here is a link to it's specs http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/gateway-dx4300-11/4507-3118_7-33777299.html

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Okay - another stupid question but could Gateway be using a proprietary PSU like Dell did (does?). I don't know anything about pre-builts anymore (not since the Pentium 3 days anyhow). :)

It depends on when it was made, but I can guarantee you that a regular low end Cooler Master PSU would work in a DELL that was bought circa 2005.

Anything older than that and I can't comment on it.

I think most of the OEM PC makers gave up on the stupid tricks they do to make things incompatible with their hardware. Most people, when they hear they can buy off the shelf parts to go in their OEM PCs with company A but not with company B will then choose to give their money to company A.

A few years forward and no more company Bs exist, at least if there are any it is very few.

The PSU could easily show no signs of life when plugged into a DOA motherboard. For exactly the reason I explained to you. If you do exactly what I said and then try to hit the power button you will get no sign of life of any kind from the PSU.

Some very basic things must be in place before you see anything from a PSU. If one of those things is not true then you will see absolutely nothing at all when you hit the power button.

One of those things is that the 20/24 pin connector has to be physically attached to the motherboard. If it is not, you can hit the power button all day and it won't even flinch.

For that matter, all you have to do to get no sign of life of any kind is to rip out one single cord from the 20/24 pin connector. It is color coded and the only one of its kind, I think it is green but in any event it is called +5vsb. This cable is always on even when the power is off (as long as the power cord is between the wall and the PSU) and it gives enough juice to work the power button at all times. That is why the computer is able to turn on even though the system is receiving next to no power.

Without that cable, if you took it out of the 20/24 pin connector, for instance and just left it hanging in space, the computer would never do anything.

In other news,

The other computer is really no help for what I am looking for.

I was hoping your other computer had a compatible processor. Tell me, do you have any friends or relatives with a computer that has the same processor slot as you? If so, could you try to convince them to let you put your processor in their motherboard, please?

- Edit - Typo

TRENDING THREADS