Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New Build Component Check & Suggestions

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 13, 2012 6:26:06 PM

So my comp has finally had it. The fan in my PSU is shot and by the time I realized what had happened it fried my GPU (really dumb HP config with the GPU less than an inch from the PSU). So I finally have had it and am going to be building my own. My RAM is only a month old (just upgraded it) and I dont want to chuck my SSD or storage drives so I will be bringing them along to the new rig. I was hoping everyone could chime in with tips and suggestions for the build, see if there are any glaring errors, etc.

Thanks!

(OLD) OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE120G
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

(OLD) CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 (2 sets)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SAPPHIRE 100314-3L Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

OCZ ZS Series 750W 80PLUS Bronze
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS 24X DVD Burner
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thermaltake V3 Black Edition VL80001W2Z
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
March 13, 2012 6:30:03 PM

What do you intend to do with this computer when you are done making it?

If it is gaming, then the 2600k is almost certainly a waste of $100 over a 2500k. You could take that reduction and get a 6950 instead of a 6870 if again it is gaming you are doing.

The OCZ PSUs aren't that great, I would suggest an XFX 650w instead.

Most here would suggest a HAF 912 instead of that Thermaltake case as well.
m
0
l
a c 92 B Homebuilt system
March 13, 2012 6:36:58 PM

Raiddinn said:
What do you intend to do with this computer when you are done making it?

If it is gaming, then the 2600k is almost certainly a waste of $100 over a 2500k. You could take that reduction and get a 6950 instead of a 6870 if again it is gaming you are doing.

The OCZ PSUs aren't that great, I would suggest an XFX 650w instead.

Most here would suggest a HAF 912 instead of that Thermaltake case as well.


I agree that the 2600K would be a waste on a gaming build, and most people around here know that I'm not the biggest fan of Thermaltake by any means. The HAF 912 is a far better choice, and I have one so I'm not saying that as a fanboy. Although I will probably upgrade to the Arc MIDI at some point.

Get this for your PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
Related resources
March 13, 2012 7:37:52 PM

Raiddinn said:
What do you intend to do with this computer when you are done making it?

If it is gaming, then the 2600k is almost certainly a waste of $100 over a 2500k. You could take that reduction and get a 6950 instead of a 6870 if again it is gaming you are doing.

The OCZ PSUs aren't that great, I would suggest an XFX 650w instead.

Most here would suggest a HAF 912 instead of that Thermaltake case as well.


Mostly gaming. I usually only replace my comp every so often so I tend to overspend, specifically on the CPU, and just sort of skip along with relatively cheap GPUs as the years go by.

Since you brought up the PSU, how much wattage wiggle room should I leave? I went with 750W just because I figured it would leave plenty of headroom in case I ever decide to add another GPU or something.

I will definitely look into the AF 912.

THanks!
m
0
l
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
March 13, 2012 8:03:51 PM

If you do mostly gaming, you might as well skip around with a 6% worse processor and a 25, 35, 45% better video card. Just sayin.

For what I told you to get, the XFX 650w I said is fine.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 13, 2012 8:06:50 PM

I'm one of those who would recommend AGAINST any product from Crappermaster. Competent technical reviews at HardwareSecrets have shown that some of their PSUs have liar-labels and/or claim protection circuits that are missing. That is dishonest. Those are facts; IMHO a dishonest company does not deserve anyone's business, for any of its products, regardless of quality (I could fault CM cases on quality too, but that would be just my opinion, and others might readily disagree). Fortunately, you need not take a hit in the wallet for refusing to support a dishonest business. Check out Rosewill or Antec for cases, and Xigmatek or Noctua for CPU coolers. Either will be as good (or better, IMHO) than Crappermaster, and cost about the same.
m
0
l
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
March 13, 2012 8:15:17 PM

Antec and Rosewill have some pretty bad PSU models, just sayin.

Almost all the Cooler Master PSUs are bad, but I am not going to quit buying their other product lines because of it.

They do pretty well in cases/cooling if you can look past their shady PSU practices.

Pretty much everyone I suggest to get a HAF 912 or Hyper 212 to seems to be happy about it when they get it.

I am not going to suggest any of their PSUs to anyone, though, regardless of circumstances.
m
0
l
a c 92 B Homebuilt system
March 13, 2012 9:05:41 PM

Raiddinn said:
Antec and Rosewill have some pretty bad PSU models, just sayin.

Almost all the Cooler Master PSUs are bad, but I am not going to quit buying their other product lines because of it.

They do pretty well in cases/cooling if you can look past their shady PSU practices.

Pretty much everyone I suggest to get a HAF 912 or Hyper 212 to seems to be happy about it when they get it.

I am not going to suggest any of their PSUs to anyone, though, regardless of circumstances.


Exactly - to me their PSU line doesn't exist, I'll go Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, anything else before I get a Cooler Master PSU. That doesn't mean I'm going to stop buying their products entirely, my HAF 912 and Hyper 212+ are still running quite strongly.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 13, 2012 9:36:42 PM

My comment wasn't about quality (I can accept that Crappermaster has some quality products), but about their dishonesty, which I absolutely refuse to support. While a different scale, it is akin to saying a forger or embezzler should avoid jail because he also works for the Red Cross.
m
0
l
March 13, 2012 10:07:40 PM

Onus said:
I'm one of those who would recommend AGAINST any product from Crappermaster. Competent technical reviews at HardwareSecrets have shown that some of their PSUs have liar-labels and/or claim protection circuits that are missing. That is dishonest. Those are facts; IMHO a dishonest company does not deserve anyone's business, for any of its products, regardless of quality (I could fault CM cases on quality too, but that would be just my opinion, and others might readily disagree). Fortunately, you need not take a hit in the wallet for refusing to support a dishonest business. Check out Rosewill or Antec for cases, and Xigmatek or Noctua for CPU coolers. Either will be as good (or better, IMHO) than Crappermaster, and cost about the same.


I've built a couple of computers with Rosewill cases. They aren't that bad, considering the price. If you can get an Antec 300 on sale, that's the way I would go, again. Case is pretty well built. Rosewill power supplies tho. Stay away :lol: 
m
0
l
March 13, 2012 10:08:43 PM

Raiddinn said:
If you do mostly gaming, you might as well skip around with a 6% worse processor and a 25, 35, 45% better video card. Just sayin.

For what I told you to get, the XFX 650w I said is fine.


+1

better off getting a better GPU and skimp on the CPU if you are gaming.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 14, 2012 12:13:37 AM

The modern Rosewill power supplies are an entirely different creature from the old ones that destroyed their reputation for PSUs. It has been years since I've seen a bad competent technical review of a Rosewill PSU, and some have been awarded at HardwareSecrets.
m
0
l
!