kariato

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
I'm really frustrated with Asus on this one since there customer support seems rather lacking.

Last summer my 15 year old son worked hard (building a fence) to save up enough to money to buy a new Graphics card.

The ENGTX460 Series is not recognized by the operating system or motherboard.
I though the mother board might not be compativle so I've swapped the motherboard from a Biostar TA790GX 128M AMD 790GX Socket AM2+ MB to a MSI K9N6PGM2-V V.2 still not recognized.
Also Swapped the power supply from a Power Up Black ATX Mid-T Case w/450w & Clear Side to a Coolmax 450W Power Supply to rule out the power supply.
I've tested setup with a GeForce GTX430 and HD 5670 and they both work fine the system see them immediately.
This is the second card RMA both acted the same.

I did notice that the card came with only one power dongle but there are two sockets on top of the graphics does it need two.
Really frustrated since either the power cable is bad, requires a second power cable not supplied or this is the second dud Graphic card in a row. Does anybody have any experience with successfully installing this card.

ENGTX460 will draw more power than both of those cards combined, and you "upgraded" to a "Coolmax" psu that apparently has no PCIe power connectors.
Yes, you need 2 x 6 pin connectors.

you have to connect both pcie power connectors to run the card.
if you psu doesn't have any, you can use a molex to pcie converter connector.
however, i assume your psu is inadequate and should be upgraded to a better, 550+ watt, 80+ rated psu. antec, corsair, enermax, xfx have some good psus.
5670 worked because it can run without needing the pcie power connector(s). but the gtx 460 needs more power (it's gpu is more power hungry) to run.

jrazor247

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Connect both 6-pin power connectors. Also, make sure that nothing else is on the same power bus. Meaning make sure that no hard drives are connected to the same power wires. The power supply's chart that's stuck on it will tell you how many amps are on each 12 volt rail. Make sure it's enough to run the card.

Hmm, have you had to re-install windows?, cause changing that many components (Motherboard) back and forth will cause you to have to re-install windows. if your windows copy is no longer genuine then the device driver installer could have....nvm beside the point. I know how it is working all summer in the heat to earn a small penny, You are gonna need two power dongle's to power the GTX 460, if its not getting power from the 6 pins then no power to the card at all (Me and my buddy tested to see if the mobo would give any power to a GPU without 6 pin dongle's) < it didnt work. Also you may want a bigger power supply because down the road when he games and put's some serious use to it. GPU's <3 power. I mean don't go out and buy no 800 or more psu. i suggest either a Corsair TX or whatever rates best 550 up to 650(overkill). Corsiar makes good Power supplys. Cooler master has good ones, thermal take is decent. Antec is another good one. anything else in my opinion can't really count on. Private message me if you need some links to get a new PSU

kariato

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Thank you guys. I've ordered a 600W power supply with PCIe power connectors. Lets see if that fixes it.

kzaske

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
Yes the GTX 460 needs both power connectors. I would seriously advise a PSU upgrade to at least 550w PSU. When I got a GTX 460 1GB for my wife her 450w PSU would not power it. I grabbed a 650w (twin railed) PSU I had laying around and it worked perfectly.

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Yes the GTX 460 needs more power. You need to fill up both PCIe 6 pin connectors to get the GTX 460 to work.

Get a quality PSU from a reliable manufacturer (Corsair, XFX, Thermaltake, Antec, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling). I recommend a PSU over 500 watts.

Usually a PSU that is good enough for your usage will come with enough 6 pin/8 pin PCIe connectors for you to connect your card to. They provide one PCIe adapter cable so that you can use it on PSUs with only a single PCIe connector on the PSU. If your PSU has no PCIe 6 pin connector the likelihood is that the PSU is insufficient for use with the GTX 460. It is not that they didn't provide enough adaptors it is simply that they are preventing you from using a PSU that is not powerful enough. To ensure compatibility make sure the PSU you buy has at least two 6 pin PCIe power cables.

2 x ENGTX460's / water-cooled overclocked I7 / 550 w psu

A good 450w wouldn't have a problem powering a single GTX460

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
The OP's Coolmax PSU apparently has no 6 pin or 6+2 pin PCIe power connectors.

That indicates to me that it is a lesser model that likely could not handle the GTX 460.